Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Doctor ignores gun free zone, saving lives

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1    spartan max2

spartan max2

Government Agent

• 3,688 posts

• People get mad when it rains or it shines but no one gets mad at the moon

Posted 25 July 2014 - 03:38 PM

I normally dont post little one event stories like this because I look at it as just pushing your view.

But I had to post this one because it is a perfect example of why I find gun-free zones moronic if not harmfull

"
Thanks to his concealed firearm, a Pennsylvania doctor is being called a hero after shooting a gunman who shot three people at Mercy Hospital in Darby, Pennsylvania.

Despite the hospitals strict “gun free zone” policy, Dr. Lee Silverman kept a gun in his desk. When shots rang out in Silverman’s office, just after 2:00PM Tuesday, he crouched behind his desk to avoid being hit by patient Richard Plotts.

Silverman, who knew the patient, then shot at Plotts. Plotts returned fire, grazing Silverman’s head but not seriously wounding him. Silverman and a caseworker would eventually wrestle Plotts to the ground and secure his weapon.

In a press conference following the incident, the local police chief spoke of Silverman’s bravery.

“Without a doubt, I believe the doctor saved lives,” Police Chief Donald Molineux said.

“Without that firearm, this guy (the patient) could have went out in the hallway and just walked down the offices until he ran out of ammunition.”

- See more at: http://rare.us/story...h.I1K5ZQHX.dpuf "

" I imagine that the intellegent people are the ones so intellegent that they dont even need or want to look "intellegent" anymore".
Criss Jami

#2    Dark_Grey

Dark_Grey

Baseless Opinionator

• 3,092 posts

• if (empty($universe)) {
    include 'reality.php';
    }

Posted 25 July 2014 - 03:41 PM

Doctors save lives. This doctor is just better at it than most

"For God doth know that in the day ye eat [the fruit] thereof, then your eyes shall be opened, and ye shall be as gods, knowing good and evil."

"The tragedy of humanity is that we have stone age instincts, medieval institutions and god-like powers."

#3    redhen

redhen

Poltergeist

• 2,825 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 03:58 PM

Perfect. I finally get to post this image. It's a prescription that this Doctor obviously recommends.

Posted Image

Edited by redhen, 25 July 2014 - 03:58 PM.

#4    supervike

supervike

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,214 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 04:31 PM

I wonder if he stated his oath, Movie Action hero style.

"First, do no harm...not today, M**** ******"

#5    OverSword

OverSword

Forum Divinity

• 17,138 posts

• I love chocolate

Posted 25 July 2014 - 04:59 PM

This doctor is obviously out of control, taking a gun into a gun free zone!  He should be prosecuted to the full extent of the law and have his license to practice medicine taken away!

Just doing my imitation of a liberal :lol:

#6    aztek

aztek

Omnipotent Entity

• 9,612 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 07:43 PM

shocking, isn't it.

RESIDENT TROLL.

#7    F3SS

F3SS

FoT

• 9,809 posts

• Father of Twins
    3-16-16

Posted 25 July 2014 - 08:56 PM

Until the day that America is truly gun free there should be no gun free zones. I call that the day that never comes.

#8    Paranomaly

Paranomaly

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 101 posts

• If you want to know the truth follow your instincts and listen to your conscience.

Posted 25 July 2014 - 09:06 PM

I just don't understand this gun free policy. I wish there were more to say, but it has all been said before.

#9    Neognosis

Neognosis

Telekinetic

• 7,159 posts

• Just try not to hurt anybody, ok?

Posted 25 July 2014 - 09:22 PM

Silverman and a caseworker would eventually wrestle Plotts to the ground and secure his weapon.

But he didn't shoot the gunman, they wrestled him to the ground.
So the gun really didn't do anything, did it?

#10    spartan max2

spartan max2

Government Agent

• 3,688 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 09:51 PM

View PostNeognosis, on 25 July 2014 - 09:22 PM, said:

But he didn't shoot the gunman, they wrestled him to the ground.
So the gun really didn't do anything, did it?

I'd quote if not on my phone. But the cop even says that it saved lives because it stopped the guy in his tracks. Instead of free roaming around he got stuck in that one spot due to the fact if he got too close he'd get shot

The fact that he dosent get shot.to.me just shows that the threat of a gun will normally suffice

Edited by spartan max2, 25 July 2014 - 09:52 PM.

" I imagine that the intellegent people are the ones so intellegent that they dont even need or want to look "intellegent" anymore".
Criss Jami

#11    Neognosis

Neognosis

Telekinetic

• 7,159 posts

• Just try not to hurt anybody, ok?

Posted 25 July 2014 - 10:36 PM

But the cop even says that it saved lives because it stopped the guy in his tracks. Instead of free roaming around he got stuck in that one spot due to the fact if he got too close he'd get shot

The fact that he dosent get shot.to.me just shows that the threat of a gun will normally suffice

sounds like pro-gun bullsiht to me.

Sounds like this doctor took a brave action, and a certain group are looking to try to counter some of the negative publicity from mass shootings we've had by giving the gun credit for doing basically nothing, instead of crediting the men who wrestled this guy to the ground

#12    spartan max2

spartan max2

Government Agent

• 3,688 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 01:00 AM

I invite you to read the story again. It seems more like your grasping for straws the gun was clearly used and the sign didn't keep the assailants gun out

Edited by spartan max2, 26 July 2014 - 01:00 AM.

Criss Jami

#13    Yamato

Yamato

Forum Divinity

• 15,231 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 01:53 AM

Thanks to his concealed firearm brave actions, a Pennsylvania doctor is being called a hero after shooting overpowering a gunman who shot three people at Mercy Hospital in Darby, Pennsylvania.

Yes it's another incidence of anecdotal evidence showing how effective gun free environments are at protecting people.   Nice spin though, thanking the gun.  Guns were just inanimate chucks of metal that were used both offensively to take lives and defensively to save lives in this story.  

Since we're not going to get rid of the offensive potential that guns offer to some people who would use them to murder others, the worst idea would be to get rid of the defensive potential that guns offer to other people who would stop them.

"The power to declare war, including the power of judging the causes of war, is fully and exclusively vested in the Legislature.  The Executive has no right, in any case, to decide the question" ~ James Madison
"Peace cannot be achieved by force, only by understanding."  ~ Albert Einstein
"To deny people their human rights is to challenge their very humanity.   To impose on them a wretched life of hunger and deprivation is to dehumanize them." ~ Nelson Mandela
"I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians.  Your Christians are so unlike your Christ." ~ Mahatma Gandhi

#14    Uncle Sam

Uncle Sam

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,600 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 11:38 AM

My predictions are coming true... would you look at that.

A man's ethical behaviour should be based effectually on sympathy, education, and social ties and needs; no religious basis is necessary. Man would indeed be in a poor way if he had to be restrained by fear of punishment and hope of reward after death. - Albert Einstein

#15    preacherman76

preacherman76

Ntwadumela- He who greets with fire

• 12,665 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 12:45 PM

View PostNeognosis, on 25 July 2014 - 10:36 PM, said:

sounds like pro-gun bullsiht to me.

Sounds like this doctor took a brave action, and a certain group are looking to try to counter some of the negative publicity from mass shootings we've had by giving the gun credit for doing basically nothing, instead of crediting the men who wrestled this guy to the ground

Sounds like you are hearing what you want, instead of the truth, to me. There is no way he'd be in a possition to wrestled this guy to the ground, without first letting the guy know he was armed and willing to shoot.

Edited by preacherman76, 26 July 2014 - 12:48 PM.

Some things are true, even if you dont believe them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users