Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Bloodsucking insects older than thought

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 35,628 posts

• In a flat world there is an explanation to everything.

Posted 26 July 2014 - 11:59 AM

UPI said:

BEIJING, July 25 (UPI) --Previously, the most ancient evidence of bloodsucking insects was 100 million years old. But researchers in China have unearthed a number of bug specimens that date to 130 million years ago.

One of the fossilized bugs, discovered by researchers Capital Normal University in Beijing, was found to be full of iron, suggesting the insect perished just after sucking animal blood. It's the earliest example of a blood-feeding insect.

The specimen was found by researcher Dong Ren in China's fossil-rich Yixian Formation. The species and family of insects these specimens belong to has yet to be determined, but are some the earliest ancestors of true bugs.

Read more: http://www.upi.com/S.../#ixzz38ZiOLHCp

A skeptic is a well informed believer and a pessimist a well informed optimist
The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#2    bubblykiss

bubblykiss

Last Among Equals

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,286 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 01:48 AM

I take great comfort in knowing that vampiric insects tormented life a 30 million years longer than previously thought.

Ignorant people think it's the noise which fighting cats make that is so aggravating, but it ain't so; it's the sickening grammar they use.
Mark Twain

#3    Leonardo

Leonardo

Awake

• 15,592 posts

• Hell is a guilty conscience

Posted 28 July 2014 - 07:34 PM

So, politics is a truly ancient discipline. :mellow:

In the book of life, the answers aren't in the back. - Charlie Brown

"It is a profound and necessary truth that the deep things in science are not found because they are useful; they are found because it was possible to find them."  - J. Robert Oppenheimer; Scientific Director; The Manhattan Project

"talking bull**** is not a victimless crime" - Marina Hyde, author.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users