Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Billionaire paid £21m for 500-year-old cup

bubblykiss

That's a very pricey brew! Billionaire who paid £21m for 500-year-old Qing dynasty 'chicken' cup puts it to good use - by sipping tea from it at the auction house

It is the 'holy grail' of Chinese porcelain, a 500-year-old antiquity owned by emperors - and now the world's most expensive cup of tea.

An eccentric Chinese art collector has been photographed enjoying a cup of tea from a rare 15th-century antique he purchased at auction for £21million.

The 'chicken cup', named after its hen and cockerel decorations, was created during the Ming Dynasty reign of Emperor Qianlongand was bought by billionaire Liu Yiqian in April.

So, joke time;

1. Does your tea taste better outta your c*** cup?

2. Can you still taste 500 y-o emperor spit or not?

3. This sort of conspicuous consumption will win him the love and adoration of many millions of people crowded 15-20 into a single room apartment in the rapidly urbanizing China.

Edited by bubblykiss
  • Like 2

That little cup looks far too 'new' and highly glazed for it to be a 500 year old cup. I wouldn't have expected something so old to look so crisp. I think someone is having us on ....and if I'm wrong ....well I will eat my hat and hope it tastes good :D

• Like 1

Well all I can say is that I hope the receiver of money makes better use of it than the giver .... at least it's back in circulation, even if it took a silly little cup to make the silly man part with the cash.

• Like 1

Well all I can say is that I hope the receiver of money makes better use of it than the giver .... at least it's back in circulation, even if it took a silly little cup to make the silly man part with the cash.

Well they do say that a foolish man and his cash are soon parted - what a silly sausage!

• Like 1

did they ink stamp the bottoms of things five hundred years ago? it looks like a rather modern stamp on the bottom of that one

What a waste of money he could have helped many unfortunate people in his home country but his ego is to big....

He forgot the 18yr-old 'maid' to pour the tea. (Unless he has a few at home. I would.)

Edited by Eldorado
  • Like 2

I fail to see the scandal because the way I see it, it is no more scandalous than somebody on a normal salary paying $200 for a Wedgwood tea pot.

• Like 1

He'll chuck in 5million to buy a saucer next.

Edited by Rose-Red Howler
  • Like 3