Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Australia Kills Carbon Tax

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1    OverSword

OverSword

Forum Divinity

• 13,427 posts

• When the power of love overcomes the love of power then humanity can evolve

Posted 27 July 2014 - 10:38 AM

It's funny how so many people try to demonize Americans as uneducated hicks because not everyone buys that humanity is the primary driving force behind our climate.  So now let the Australia bashing begin

From the article:

With final approval of the Senate on July 17, Australia officially became the first developed nation to repeal itsdeeply controversial tax on emissions of carbon dioxide, dealing a major setback to proponents of increasingly discredited man-made “global warming” theories. Climate realists worldwide celebrated the historic development, while enraged global-warming theorists furiously lashed out at Australian lawmakers. Analysts also noted that the repeal, shepherded through by conservative Prime Minister Tony Abbott, could be a foreshadowing of much bigger problems for the widely criticized United Nations anti-CO2 crusade.  

Of course, the new Australian leader actually rose to power in a landslide last year by promising the public that he would repeal the economy-crushing tax on CO2 emissions. Despite opposition from climate alarmists in the Labour Party and other smaller parties — extreme Greens Party boss Christine Milne even claimed Australia would become a “global pariah”

story here

#2    Sir Wearer of Hats

Sir Wearer of Hats

SCIENCE!

• 10,798 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 10:43 AM

No, lets not bash Australians, lets bash our government.
Elected on a protest vote against the previous government, governing for the big end of town, willfully ignoring or oppressing the voices raised in opposition/against government policy (the Climate Change Commission axed, the ABC and SBS funding slashed, Non-Government Organizations told "don't you dare use government funding to raise legal action against the government or risk losing that funding", refugees treated like Prisoners of War, no science portfolio in government, a man who's previously expressed opinions about women running to the "barefoot and pregnant" end of the spectrum as "minister for women", a foreign minister who's previous job was stalling court cases in the hope the victims of asbestosis die rather then get compensation,  International Alliances risked, Indigenous Communities slandered....

Edited by Sir Wearer of Hats, 27 July 2014 - 10:46 AM.

I must not fear. Fear is the Mind-Killer. It is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and to move through me. And when it is gone I will turn the inner eye to see it's path.
When the fear is gone, there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.

#3    jesspy

jesspy

Full of Wisdumb

• 8,106 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 12:03 PM

Our government sucks.

Mind tricks don't work on me, only money.

#4    Wickian

Wickian

Doppelganger

• 3,901 posts

• Save it for Queen Doppelpoppellus!

Posted 27 July 2014 - 12:59 PM

Correct me if I'm wrong since I'm going by memory here, but didn't Gillard run on the stance of No Carbon Tax, and then immediately put one into effect after election?

#5    spartan max2

spartan max2

Poltergeist

• 2,753 posts

• There's nothing so absurd that if you repeat it often enough

Posted 27 July 2014 - 02:03 PM

Good, get rid of all sin taxes.

I never really understood how taxing carbon was suppose to fight climate change. Maybe im ignorant on the issue but I dont see how taxing it would make people use any less power people still use the same amount , all it would do it make people loose money

" I imagine that the intellegent people are the ones so intellegent that they dont even need or want to look "intellegent" anymore".
Criss Jami

#6    acidhead

acidhead

Were Not Your Slaves!

• 10,570 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 06:25 PM

Here in BC, Canada we have a 6.5% carbon tax added to gasoline sales.

Just curious. .. does anybody know where that money goes and how it's used to combat AGW?

"there is no wrong or right - just popular opinion"

#7    Sir Wearer of Hats

Sir Wearer of Hats

SCIENCE!

• 10,798 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 09:00 PM

View PostWickian, on 27 July 2014 - 12:59 PM, said:

Correct me if I'm wrong since I'm going by memory here, but didn't Gillard run on the stance of No Carbon Tax, and then immediately put one into effect after election?
Well yes.
You expect politicians to lie. You don't expect politicians to basically run around intentionally and continuously p***ing everyone off!

I must not fear. Fear is the Mind-Killer. It is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and to move through me. And when it is gone I will turn the inner eye to see it's path.
Only I will remain.

#8    MordorOrc

MordorOrc

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 225 posts

• Evil Lurks Within...

Posted 06 August 2014 - 10:37 AM

View Postacidhead, on 27 July 2014 - 06:25 PM, said:

Here in BC, Canada we have a 6.5% carbon tax added to gasoline sales.

Just curious. .. does anybody know where that money goes and how it's used to combat AGW?

No. However, petrol taxes in NZ are used to partially fund the part of the state insurance company that pays out claims to people involved in car accidents.

You must obey the law, always, not only when they grab you by your special place.
Vladimir Putin

#9    toyomotor

toyomotor

Grumpy Old Coot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,359 posts

• The careful application of terror is also a form of communication.

Posted 06 August 2014 - 02:52 PM

View PostOverSword, on 27 July 2014 - 10:38 AM, said:

It's funny how so many people try to demonize Americans as uneducated hicks because not everyone buys that humanity is the primary driving force behind our climate.  So now let the Australia bashing begin

From the article:

With final approval of the Senate on July 17, Australia officially became the first developed nation to repeal itsdeeply controversial tax on emissions of carbon dioxide, dealing a major setback to proponents of increasingly discredited man-made “global warming” theories. Climate realists worldwide celebrated the historic development, while enraged global-warming theorists furiously lashed out at Australian lawmakers. Analysts also noted that the repeal, shepherded through by conservative Prime Minister Tony Abbott, could be a foreshadowing of much bigger problems for the widely criticized United Nations anti-CO2 crusade.  
Of course, the new Australian leader actually rose to power in a landslide last year by promising the public that he would repeal the economy-crushing tax on CO2 emissions. Despite opposition from climate alarmists in the Labour Party and other smaller parties — extreme Greens Party boss Christine Milne even claimed Australia would become a “global pariah”

story here

Bash away old mate. The Carbon Tax was one that the previous government promised would never be imposed on Australia. Another bloody lie, it was imposed.

Like most of the previous governments schemes, it was poorly thought out and implemented, like the NBN Rollout and the Home Insulation Scheme.

I have no doubt that once the current government gets us out of the financial pit the others left us in, measures to reduce carbon emissions will be implemented.

There is absolutely no proof at all that human beings actually communicate.

#10    toyomotor

toyomotor

Grumpy Old Coot

• 1,359 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 02:53 PM

View PostSir Wearer of Hats, on 27 July 2014 - 09:00 PM, said:

Well yes.
You expect politicians to lie. You don't expect politicians to basically run around intentionally and continuously p***ing everyone off!

But that's what Gillard did.

The most detested Prime Minister in Australian history I reckon.

#11    toyomotor

toyomotor

Grumpy Old Coot

• 1,359 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 02:56 PM

View Postspartan max2, on 27 July 2014 - 02:03 PM, said:

Good, get rid of all sin taxes.

I never really understood how taxing carbon was suppose to fight climate change. Maybe im ignorant on the issue but I dont see how taxing it would make people use any less power people still use the same amount , all it would do it make people loose money

The problem is the coal and oil fired power stations which some states have, as well as large industrial complexes powered by coal or oil.

In my little home state, we have the luxury of Hydro Electric systems, clean renewable energy.

#12    Sir Wearer of Hats

Sir Wearer of Hats

SCIENCE!

• 10,798 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 02:13 AM

View Posttoyomotor, on 06 August 2014 - 02:53 PM, said:

But that's what Gillard did.

The most detested Prime Minister in Australian history I reckon.
Mister Rabbit's getting close - unless you read the Murdoch press.

Only I will remain.

#13    toyomotor

toyomotor

Grumpy Old Coot

• 1,359 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 03:06 AM

I don't really think so. Sure there are complaints about the budget, but given the big black financial hole left by Labor, we all have to do what we can.

#14    Sir Wearer of Hats

Sir Wearer of Hats

SCIENCE!

• 10,798 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 10:13 AM

View Posttoyomotor, on 07 August 2014 - 03:06 AM, said:

I don't really think so. Sure there are complaints about the budget, but given the big black financial hole left by Labor, we all have to do what we can.
We obviously move in different circles, as everything the man does seems to get lambasted.

Only I will remain.

#15    stevewinn

stevewinn

Government Agent

• 8,772 posts

• Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival

Posted 07 August 2014 - 12:43 PM

wasn't Canada thinking of doing the same thing, i know Australia and Canada offered an alliance to the United Kingdom to join them.

from june 2014
http://www.telegraph...stralia-PM.html

Posted Image

British by Birth - English by the Grace of God

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users