Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

'I can smell a rainbow'

synaesthesia

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 38,607 posts

• "Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." - Albert Einstein

Posted 27 July 2014 - 12:06 PM

What colour is the letter F? What texture does a Mozart symphony have? Can you taste the rainbow? If the only thing such ideas suggest is the Skittles ad campaign, you're probably not synaesthesic. But for up to four per cent of the population, such questions make perfect sense.

Around 70 types of synaesthesia have been identified, and while some are rare, others are surprisingly common.

http://www.independe...ow-9624183.html

Posted Image

#2    shrooma

shrooma

doesn't have one screw fully tightened.....

• 3,570 posts

• Live.
    Sin.
    Die.

Posted 27 July 2014 - 12:36 PM

i suffer (although, it's not a sufferance as such.) from synasthesia, probably due to altered brain chemistry from a life of hallucinogen abuse (i can't remember being affected before then).
it mainly manifests itself through colour, taste, & smell.
for instance- the colour purple tastes like the way joop aftershave smells, carrots should be yellow, not orange, and dogs**t should be dark green with angry metallic flashes.
what most people don't tend to report about synasthesia is how it affects your dreams.
they're very surreal, as the brain is trying to turn colours into tastes, smells into textures, and sounds into shapes.
it makes life interesting if nothing else....

Edited by shrooma, 27 July 2014 - 12:37 PM.

- - - - -disclaimer- - - - -
all posts- without exception- are humourous.
if you fail to grasp the sublety, then don't whine on due to your lack of understanding.

Also tagged with synaesthesia

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users