Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * - 1 votes

Men are happier with a smarter wife

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#1    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 39,161 posts

• In a flat world there is an explanation to everything.

Posted 27 July 2014 - 04:23 PM

The Telegraph said:

It was once a truth universally acknowledged that a single man in possession of a good fortune had everything a would-be wife could ever want.

But now it appears that it is men who ascribe to Jane Austen’s maxim – and they are the ones quite happy for the woman to be the breadwinner.

A study shows that today’s younger husbands are the first generation not to find wives with an equal or better education “threatening”.

Read more

A skeptic is a well informed believer and a pessimist a well informed optimist
The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#2    bubblykiss

bubblykiss

Last Among Equals

• 3,877 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 04:43 PM

A woman I was dating years ago was reading a newspaper like publication that proclaimed that people who shop at Chico's are smarter, more educated and generally better people than those that shop at Walmart.

I asked her where she got the paper.

She said from Chico's. She was one class away from a MA degree and she still fell for it.

http://www.chicos.com/store/home.jsp

Her singing always cheered him up. Life seemed so much brighter when she stopped.

T. Pratchett.

#3    Eldorado

Eldorado

Unforgiven

• 11,483 posts

• I reckon so.

Posted 27 July 2014 - 04:49 PM

These must be the same 'younger husbands' who carry handbags, cry on live tv when they lose at sports, take two hours to get washed & dressed and spend a lot of the day gossiping on their smart phones.  :(

#4    MissMelsWell

MissMelsWell

Cosmic Baker

• 13,510 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 06:44 PM

I stopped to think about myself and all my close friends, male and female alike... I think in almost every case, the woman is the breadwinner or just plain makes more money. We're hardly young either... we range in age from roughly 40 to 55 or so.

Edited by MissMelsWell, 27 July 2014 - 06:45 PM.

"It's time for the American people to stand up and shrug off the shackles of our government at TSA at the airport"  Ron Paul

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

#5    Lilly

Lilly

Forum Divinity

• 18,757 posts

• "To thine own self be true" William Shakespeare

Posted 27 July 2014 - 07:42 PM

I have a question and it puzzles me to no end. Why would any person (male or female) want to be married to someone who just wasn't 'all that bright' in comparison to their own intellect? Oh, pretty/handsome is nice and all...but to be stuck in a marriage with someone that's rather 'slow on the uptake'...why?

"Ignorance is ignorance. It is a state of mind, not an opinion." ~MID~

Posted Image

#6    AbyssWalker

AbyssWalker

I'm not a Mutant.

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,715 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 07:49 PM

View PostLilly, on 27 July 2014 - 07:42 PM, said:

I have a question and it puzzles me to no end. Why would any person (male or female) want to be married to someone who just wasn't 'all that bright' in comparison to their own intellect? Oh, pretty/handsome is nice and all...but to be stuck in a marriage with someone that's rather 'slow on the uptake'...why?

To feel better about themselves? lol. Just to say "I'm the smarter one", I think I know a few men who'd feel insecure if their wives were smarter.... or... physically stronger...

Some people like to be in control too, and if their partners don't challenge them intellectually.... I guess it makes them feel... in control.

I have no idea, but just sayin.

#7    Lilly

Lilly

Forum Divinity

• 18,757 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 07:59 PM

I can understand men wanting the physically stronger aspect. However, wanting a dumb wife just so they can be in control seems well, dumb in and of itself. Think about the aggravation of being married to someone who can't readily comprehend things, who engages in silly activities, who will likely be fiscally irresponsible. Won't this send things 'out of control' pretty damn quick?

Posted Image

#8    JGirl

JGirl

Pajama Goddess

• 9,036 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 08:05 PM

View PostLilly, on 27 July 2014 - 07:42 PM, said:

maybe due to their own insecurity about how intelligent they are, perhaps to better dominate or control them or the relationship, to keep them from wanting too much outisde the relationship, etc etc
there are many reasons why men would like a dumb girl  - not so much for women to like a dumb guy though. at least none that i can think of

Edited by JGirl, 27 July 2014 - 08:06 PM.

#9    Hammerclaw

Hammerclaw

Far Traveler

• 4,749 posts

• "Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

Posted 27 July 2014 - 09:17 PM

Men are happier if they respect their wife. I.Q.s aside, more often than not, people bring gender specific intelligence to their marriage the other lacks. Marriage is a complimentary relationship.

#10    aquatus1

aquatus1

Forum Divinity

• 21,226 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 09:43 PM

View PostLilly, on 27 July 2014 - 07:59 PM, said:

I can understand men wanting the physically stronger aspect. However, wanting a dumb wife just so they can be in control seems well, dumb in and of itself. Think about the aggravation of being married to someone who can't readily comprehend things, who engages in silly activities, who will likely be fiscally irresponsible. Won't this send things 'out of control' pretty damn quick?

I'll be the cynical Devil's Advocate.

A less intelligent spouse to take care of the scut work around the home and still be there to provide unconditional love when you get home from work could be considered a perfect solution for many professionals who would like a limited relationship.  If you spend all day having to wrestle brains with others, you don't really want to come home and do it again.  It's like why sumo wrestlers like to get married to tiny women.

#11    spartan max2

spartan max2

Government Agent

• 3,508 posts

• People get mad when it rains or it shines but no one gets mad at the moon

Posted 27 July 2014 - 10:16 PM

I feel like only people with security problems would want a partner who is dumb( because then it makes you feel smart)

Edit: just to add that I guess JGirl already took my point

Edited by spartan max2, 27 July 2014 - 10:17 PM.

" I imagine that the intellegent people are the ones so intellegent that they dont even need or want to look "intellegent" anymore".
Criss Jami

#12    Lilly

Lilly

Forum Divinity

• 18,757 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 10:21 PM

View Postaquatus1, on 27 July 2014 - 09:43 PM, said:

I'll be the cynical Devil's Advocate.

A less intelligent spouse to take care of the scut work around the home and still be there to provide unconditional love when you get home from work could be considered a perfect solution for many professionals who would like a limited relationship...

The key phrase there being, "who would like a limited relationship".

Personally, I'd rather hire a housekeeper and keep dogs.

Posted Image

#13    shrooma

shrooma

Government Agent

• Banned
  • 3,985 posts

• Live.
    Sin.
    Die.

Posted 27 July 2014 - 10:57 PM

women who are a touch.., vapid.., tend to have a morally relaxed attitude when it comes to pleasure, whereas women with more substance take a lot more perverting.
but i've always enjoyed a challenge....

"Get off your knees, the party's over."
-How do you sleep-
The Stone Roses.

#14    DefenceMinisterMishkin

DefenceMinisterMishkin

Megalodon Trapper

• Banned
  • 4,590 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 11:21 PM

Obviously..but good luck finding one.. :D

Posted Image

#15    aquatus1

aquatus1

Forum Divinity

• 21,226 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 11:44 PM

View PostLilly, on 27 July 2014 - 10:21 PM, said:

The key phrase there being, "who would like a limited relationship".

Personally, I'd rather hire a housekeeper and keep dogs.

Well, dogs are certainly lower maintenance than most men.  That said, while my brother-in-law is hardly unintelligent, compared to my sister, he is not in her league.  He is, however, an excellent chef, he keeps the home, takes care of the ridiculously expensive dogs, and makes her happy.  She is pretty competitive, and her first husband was another lawyer, which eventually led to their separation.  Pretty much the only good thing that came out of that first marriage was my goddaughter.

A lot of high powered execs tend to prefer limited relationships.  The same emotional detachment that gives them the edge in business keeps them from desiring anything more at home.  I myself have to exert myself to be social on unimportant occasions.  When at home, I would prefer to be able to relax.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users