Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Satanists demand religious exemption

abortion hobby lobby

• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

#1    rashore

rashore

Telekinetic

• 7,591 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 07:33 PM

The Satanic Temple — a faith community that describes itself as facilitating “the communication and mobilization of politically aware Satanists, secularists, and advocates for individual liberty” — has launched a new campaign seeking a religious exemption to certain anti-abortion laws that attempt to dissuade women from ending a pregnancy. The group says they have deeply held beliefs about bodily autonomy and scientific accuracy, and those beliefs are violated by state-level “informed consent” laws that rely on misleading information about abortion risks.

http://thinkprogress...lobby-abortion/

A friend of mine shared this, and I thought it too entertaining not to share with UM.....

#2    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 36,545 posts

• In a flat world there is an explanation to everything.

Posted 28 July 2014 - 07:35 PM

more of the Hobby Lobby fallout.

A skeptic is a well informed believer and a pessimist a well informed optimist
The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#3    Wickian

Wickian

Doppelganger

• 4,128 posts

• Save it for Queen Doppelpoppellus!

Posted 28 July 2014 - 07:57 PM

I don't see why Satanists shouldn't get the same religious freedoms as Christians.  Not sure if this is a real religious group or not though, the article painted them as sketchy in that regard.

#4    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 36,545 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 08:00 PM

View PostWickian, on 28 July 2014 - 07:57 PM, said:

I don't see why Satanists shouldn't get the same religious freedoms as Christians.  Not sure if this is a real religious group or not though, the article painted them as sketchy in that regard.

Either all or none. At least that is what the law seez. I am just waiting for somebody to reorganize the Thugees  and demand the right to rob and kill a traveler a month in honor of Kali.

The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#5    George Ford

George Ford

Just pretend you didn't see anything

• Banned
  • 3,149 posts

• 'I live in the weak and the wounded... Doc'

Posted 28 July 2014 - 08:06 PM

I think that it would be unfair to exclude them as a recognized religion.

“Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence” ~ Carl Sagan

#6    LaughingAtIdiots

LaughingAtIdiots

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 08:16 PM

Seems fair to me.

#7    Stubbly_Dooright

Stubbly_Dooright

♫♪♀♀♀♫♪

• 3,853 posts

• ♪♫ When I awoke today, suddenly nothing happened
    But in my dreams, I slew the dragon ♫♪
    - Colin Hay.

Posted 28 July 2014 - 08:17 PM

Isn't that the crutch now of this latest ruling, now all religions want to get into the action. Well, I maybe a little snarky in my thoughts in this. In a sense, I could understand the consciousness of Hobby Lobby, because of the pro-life thoughts. But it was their religious liberty, I believe, that the law chose to allow them to express their liberty. And so, a can of worms were opened up. Yes, I agree with one poster, it's a fall out. There are many religions, how does one chose which has rights and which doesn't? Well, I thought, you don't have to, because religions, faith, is something that cannot be proven and you go by the law that has proof to it, if that makes sense. To be fair, the Satanist would have to be listened to, right?

Posted Image  Greetings and Salutations!!!
If you wont talk to your cat about catnip......who will?
Introverts unite! But only on the internet.

#8    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 36,545 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 08:23 PM

View PostStubbly_Dooright, on 28 July 2014 - 08:17 PM, said:

Isn't that the crutch now of this latest ruling, now all religions want to get into the action. Well, I maybe a little snarky in my thoughts in this. In a sense, I could understand the consciousness of Hobby Lobby, because of the pro-life thoughts. But it was their religious liberty, I believe, that the law chose to allow them to express their liberty. And so, a can of worms were opened up. Yes, I agree with one poster, it's a fall out. There are many religions, how does one chose which has rights and which doesn't? Well, I thought, you don't have to, because religions, faith, is something that cannot be proven and you go by the law that has proof to it, if that makes sense. To be fair, the Satanist would have to be listened to, right?

That happens when the SC votes one for the left and one for the right... two for the left, two for the right and are appointed by political affiliation instead of for their knowledge of the constitution and the understanding of new circumstances it has to adapt it (the Constitution) to.

Edited by questionmark, 28 July 2014 - 08:24 PM.

about me

#9    freetoroam

freetoroam

Honourary member of the UM asylum

• 8,423 posts

• If you didn't see it with your own eyes, or hear it with your own ears, don't invent it with your small mind and share it with your big mouth!

Posted 28 July 2014 - 08:35 PM

All religions started out as a small cult in the beginning, who`s to say how many followers this one will have in a couple of thousand years, might as well get in there now.

Posted Image

In an ideal World a law would be passed were NO guns were allowed and all those out there destroyed, trouble is the law makers are not going to take a risk of trying to pass that without making sure they are armed first.

#10    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 36,545 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 08:36 PM

View Postfreetoroam, on 28 July 2014 - 08:35 PM, said:

All religions started out as a small cult in the beginning, who`s to say how many followers this one will have in a couple of thousand years, might as well get in there now.

Posted Image

The Satanists always had a lot of followers... just not officially.

about me

#11    danielost

danielost

Forum Divinity

• 31,308 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 08:42 PM

Here's a surprise.  I agree they have a right via religion to side step abortion laws.  As for hobb lobby they got an exemption because t.heir family owned.

I am a Mormon.  If I don't use Mormons believe, those my beliefs only.
I do not go to church haven't for thirty years.
There are other Mormons on this site. So if I have misspoken about the beliefs. I welcome their input.
I am not perfect and never will be. I do strive to be true to myself. I do my best to stay true to the Mormon faith. Thanks for caring and if you don't peace be with you.

#12    OverSword

OverSword

Forum Divinity

• 14,803 posts

• I love chocolate

Posted 28 July 2014 - 09:29 PM

This is stupid.  If there are legal restrictions on abortions then everyone must follow.  Should they also be exempt from murder if it's done in a ritualistic manner?

#13    Gromdor

Gromdor

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,747 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 10:31 PM

It's Hobby Lobby fallout.  Hobby lobby didn't have to follow legal restrictions concerning abortion so why should anyone else?

#14    We are lizard people

We are lizard people

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 161 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 11:25 PM

Any time a Satanic church decides to get involved politically it seems like its usually just a childish tit for tat event aimed directly against a similar ruling involving the state and Christianity.

It would be easier to take their desires seriously if they actually stood for something, instead of just standing against something.

#15    F3SS

F3SS

Her name is Jodi :)

• 7,820 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 11:31 PM

Politics and religious opinions aside, couldn't everybody just come together to agree that Satanists don't get any special treatment or official recognition for anything concerning their views? They don't get exemptions, they don't get to put up statues and symbols on public property, ect;. By the very nature of Satan, they are the embodiment of all that is evil, horrific and deceitful. Let them do what they want with each other, although still arrest them if they are caught doing the evil things they do, but when it comes to recognition and special rights can society not simply come together in a rare formation of total common sense and simply reject their pleas? Seriously, don't give me the hobby lobby bs about Satanist. Give it to me on the other hundred religions out there, save for other ones that may preach evil doing, but not Satanists. It's so absurd. Please, if you want to make another hobby lobby thread then just say so.
This isn't the fallout of the hobby lobby ruling. This is the fallout of government forcing their way into everybody's life and purchasing decisions.

Edited by F3SS, 28 July 2014 - 11:32 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users