Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Satanists demand religious exemption

abortion hobby lobby

• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

#16    Skep B

Skep B

Savant of Depravity

• 5,354 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 11:37 PM

Satanists only use the symbolism of Satan as a means to be anti-christian in the sense of the Americanized conservative christians.

they're really closer to atheists w/ a taste for shock behavior.

Fear not the space behemoth. In my dreams, I have peered beyond it's eye and seen the cackling hell within us all

#17    danielost

danielost

Forum Divinity

• 31,308 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 11:45 PM

I agree with everything you wrote.  Except choosing what religions fall under the first amendment and which ones don't.  It isn't the governments business what a religion does it doesn't do. Short of murder or theift.  If they want to put a statue on public land they have  right to do so.  As, long as they follow the rules of doing sol

I am a Mormon.  If I don't use Mormons believe, those my beliefs only.
I do not go to church haven't for thirty years.
There are other Mormons on this site. So if I have misspoken about the beliefs. I welcome their input.
I am not perfect and never will be. I do strive to be true to myself. I do my best to stay true to the Mormon faith. Thanks for caring and if you don't peace be with you.

#18    OverSword

OverSword

Forum Divinity

• 14,129 posts

• I love chocolate

Posted 28 July 2014 - 11:50 PM

Scheming B, on 28 July 2014 - 11:37 PM, said:

Satanists only use the symbolism of Satan as a means to be anti-christian in the sense of the Americanized conservative christians.

they're really closer to atheists w/ a taste for shock behavior.
That may be what actual satan worshipers (those that actively and enthusiastically worship) wouldn't mind you believing, but I knew some people that did worship and they were definitely anything but atheists.  While trying to recruit me they seemed to have a stronger or at least more enthusiastic belief than many I know of other religions.

#19    Skep B

Skep B

Savant of Depravity

• 5,354 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 12:01 AM

There's always fanatics and literalists in everything.

I don't care about their beliefs mind you, but their way of handling their business hurts their ability to be taken seriously.

Fear not the space behemoth. In my dreams, I have peered beyond it's eye and seen the cackling hell within us all

#20    Imaginarynumber1

Imaginarynumber1

I am not an irrational number

• 5,530 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 12:24 AM

F3SS, on 28 July 2014 - 11:31 PM, said:

Politics and religious opinions aside, couldn't everybody just come together to agree that Satanists don't get any special treatment or official recognition for anything concerning their views? They don't get exemptions, they don't get to put up statues and symbols on public property, ect;. By the very nature of Satan, they are the embodiment of all that is evil, horrific and deceitful. Let them do what they want with each other, although still arrest them if they are caught doing the evil things they do, but when it comes to recognition and special rights can society not simply come together in a rare formation of total common sense and simply reject their pleas? Seriously, don't give me the hobby lobby bs about Satanist. Give it to me on the other hundred religions out there, save for other ones that may preach evil doing, but not Satanists. It's so absurd. Please, if you want to make another hobby lobby thread then just say so.
This isn't the fallout of the hobby lobby ruling. This is the fallout of government forcing their way into everybody's life and purchasing decisions.

Sure. Except you're just talking about crazy "devil worshipers".  That is not who these satanists are.
These satanist are The Satanic Temple:

The Satanic Temple[edit]

The Satanic Temple, based in New York, represents a variety of Satanism that uses the literary Satan as a mythological foundation for a non-supernatural religion,[44] which it believes can be used to construct a cultural narrative that can usefully contextualize life experiences and promote pragmatic skepticism, rational reciprocity, personal autonomy, and curiosity.

As it lacks the creed of elitism and Social Darwinism that define the Church of Satan[45] in favor of other characteristics of the literary Satan, it contrasts[46] itself by its desire to actively participate in public affairs and provide outreach to the wider public. This has manifested in several public political actions[47][48] and efforts at lobbying,[49] with a focus on the separation of Church and State and using satire against religious organizations that it believes interfere with freedom and the pursuit of happiness.[50]

The only requirements to be a member are to support the tenets and beliefs of the organization, and to name yourself a member.[51

And according to the constitution, just like EVERY OTHER RELIGION, you have no right to deny them ANYTHING that is allowed of another, regardless of your personal feeling.

"You do not teach the paths of the forest to an old gorilla."

"It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired - you quit when the gorilla is tired."

RAPTORS! http://www.unexplain...pic=233151&st=0

#21    libstaK

libstaK

Nosce Te Ipsum

• 7,061 posts

• Hello Reality and all that is True
    When Oxymoron was defined it was just for you

Posted 29 July 2014 - 12:33 AM

Well if they want to call themselves a religion - I say, go right ahead.  They can then enjoy the persecution, anti-religious backlash, religious warfare and extremists representing them in ways that having nothing to do with the true tenets of the "religion" just like everybody else.

"I warn you, whoever you are, oh you who wish to probe the arcanes of nature, if you do not find within yourself that which you seek, neither shall you find it outside.
If you ignore the excellencies of your own house, how do you intend to find other excellencies?
In you is hidden the treasure of treasures, Oh man, know thyself and you shall know the Universe and the Gods."

Inscription - Temple of Delphi

#22    F3SS

F3SS

Telekinetic

• 7,161 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 12:58 AM

Imaginarynumber1, on 29 July 2014 - 12:24 AM, said:

Sure. Except you're just talking about crazy "devil worshipers".  That is not who these satanists are.
These satanist are The Satanic Temple:

And according to the constitution, just like EVERY OTHER RELIGION, you have no right to deny them ANYTHING that is allowed of another, regardless of your personal feeling.

No need to yell in caps or take my post too seriously. There was some truth in it but nothing worth getting deep about. Also, if they stand for so many things unassociated with Satan then perhaps they should drop the moniker wether there's pun intended or not. It's stupid.

Posted Image

#23    Imaginarynumber1

Imaginarynumber1

• 5,530 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 01:13 AM

F3SS, on 29 July 2014 - 12:58 AM, said:

No need to yell in caps or take my post too seriously. There was some truth in it but nothing worth getting deep about. Also, if they stand for so many things unassociated with Satan then perhaps they should drop the moniker wether there's pun intended or not. It's stupid.

A lot of people happen to think the story of jesus is stupid. Maybe christians should drop the christ part?

"It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired - you quit when the gorilla is tired."

#24    Yamato

Yamato

Forum Divinity

• 11,853 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 01:14 AM

And Christians are the embodiment of all that is good, benevolent and honest.   So they get statues, etc.

Even though they're in cahoots with Satan, who is kind of like the Christian landlord of lost souls.  Not that God doesn't love us or that he could do something about not putting his loved ones in Hell, he's too busy for that.  Besides, God is the one who signed the contract, so we will definitely have to go gnash our teeth and boil in doody for ten million years if we break our part of His agreement.   :(

If a man still prophesies, his parents, father and mother, shall say to him, "You shall not live, because you have spoken a lie in the name of the Lord." When he prophesies, his parents, father and mother, shall thrust him through.   (Zechariah 13:3)

You conservatives and anti-Obama folk seem to be treading on peoples religious freedom here.   I'd like to know if Anton Lavey ever wrote something as bad as that in the Satanic Bible?

What hoops do I have to jump through to get these ancient institutionalized people to recognize my new religion which is Rasta?   I want to listen to my Bob Marley records on Sunday morning and not hear any flack from self-entitled Christians voting Republican telling me I don't get a tax break too because I'm not a member of the Big Club.

"The power to declare war, including the power of judging the causes of war, is fully and exclusively vested in the Legislature.  The Executive has no right, in any case, to decide the question" ~ James Madison
"Peace cannot be achieved by force, only by understanding."  ~ Albert Einstein
"To deny people their human rights is to challenge their very humanity.   To impose on them a wretched life of hunger and deprivation is to dehumanize them." ~ Nelson Mandela
"I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians.  Your Christians are so unlike your Christ." ~ Mahatma Gandhi

#25    F3SS

F3SS

Telekinetic

• 7,161 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 01:17 AM

Imaginarynumber1, on 29 July 2014 - 01:13 AM, said:

A lot of people happen to think the story of jesus is stupid. Maybe christians should drop the christ part?

You're picking the wrong guy if you want to go there.

Posted Image

#26    Yamato

Yamato

Forum Divinity

• 11,853 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 01:21 AM

Hell, I'll go there.  Just look at how many stories to rejoice in there are, of our people in our great nation turning the other cheek.   :angry:

"The power to declare war, including the power of judging the causes of war, is fully and exclusively vested in the Legislature.  The Executive has no right, in any case, to decide the question" ~ James Madison
"To deny people their human rights is to challenge their very humanity.   To impose on them a wretched life of hunger and deprivation is to dehumanize them." ~ Nelson Mandela
"I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians.  Your Christians are so unlike your Christ." ~ Mahatma Gandhi

#27    Yamato

Yamato

Forum Divinity

• 11,853 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 01:26 AM

We are lizard people, on 28 July 2014 - 11:25 PM, said:

It would be easier to take their desires seriously if they actually stood for something, instead of just standing against something.
If you read the article:  "The group says its central mission is to “encourage benevolence and empathy among all people, reject tyrannical authority, advocate practical common sense and justice, and be directed by the human conscience to undertake noble pursuits guided by the individual will.""

That sounds pretty awesome to me.   I think we need this church; it's filling in a lot of holes in our society these days.

#28    Imaginarynumber1

Imaginarynumber1

• 5,530 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 02:03 AM

F3SS, on 29 July 2014 - 01:17 AM, said:

You're picking the wrong guy if you want to go there.

I'm not "going" anywhere. You can't criticize and be exempt from criticism.

#29    Jeremiah65

Jeremiah65

Seeker of knowledge

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,078 posts

• "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." Aristotle

Posted 29 July 2014 - 02:03 AM

I think we should bring back the Greek Pantheon and all associated holidays and celebrations...I could get interested in the feast of Dionysus...partying and wild sex...count me in!

On a serious note...

I don't think our founding fathers intended for any one religion to be embraced and another scorned...regardless.  Yes it's true that some of them were Christians but others were more or less agnostic.  Some were Deists, some were theists...but not necessarily Christian or a defined ritualistic religion.

I have spent many years of my life reading philosophy, religion and theology...heck I read Anton Levey's book ages ago and read a lot of pagan works as well.  For me it is a point of curiosity to understand the mind of people and why they do the things they do.

But anyway...all or none.

I'm hoping that common sense will prevail and someone, somewhere will have to step away from the pipe and realize the separation of church and state is there for a reason and the "state" maybe shouldn't be giving anything special at all to any of them.

Edited by Jeremiah65, 29 July 2014 - 02:04 AM.

"Liberty means responsibility.  That is why most men dread it."  George Bernard Shaw
"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it."  Thomas Jefferson

Posted Image

#30    F3SS

F3SS

Telekinetic

• 7,161 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 02:20 AM

Imaginarynumber1, on 29 July 2014 - 02:03 AM, said:

I'm not "going" anywhere. You can't criticize and be exempt from criticism.

Well you were going somewhere. Is the church of satan personal for you? Am I honestly supposed to take seriously mainstream satanists? Give me a break. Next to that, they have a belief system that reflects a political party more than it does a religion. I believe the definition of a religion is the belief in a supernatural power. That's my real gripe with this. What qualifies as a religion? Any group of several people who believe in ten of the same things?

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users