Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Reincarnation is a misnomer

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1    UM-Bot

UM-Bot

News, media and articles

• 6,196 posts

• Beep Boop

Posted 29 July 2014 - 10:18 AM

<strong class='bbc'>Image credit: Jeroen van Valkenburg</strong>
Image credit: Jeroen van Valkenburg
Kathleen Meadows: I was watching a video by David Wilcock (author of The Synchronicity Key) recently, and not surprisingly he set off a maelstrom of pondering. I like David.  Heís passionate, diligent, sincere and intelligent.  In this particular video, David was extolling with his characteristic confidence, proof of reincarnation.  The soul re-incarnating in human form to live yet another life.  A prospect I personally find less than appealing. Not because Iíve not had a good life but rather because the notion of beginning all over again is rather daunting and frankly exhausting to contemplate. After almost 60 years spent on this planet I can attest to life being a lot of hard work.  The biggest problem I have embracing re-incarnation is the why.  Why would my soul feel a need to return to another body?  That just doesnít seem necessary.  Donít I know all there is to know about embodiment once Iíve been here?

Posted Image View: Full Article

This is an official comment thread for a main site news story, article or video.
Please keep comments civil and on topic.
Thank you.

#2    freetoroam

freetoroam

Honourary member of the UM asylum

• 10,338 posts

• If you didn't see it with your own eyes, or hear it with your own ears, don't invent it with your small mind and share it with your big mouth!

Posted 29 July 2014 - 10:46 AM

I do not believe in reincarnation as it is described, but it is a fact our genes are passed down through the generations, this is to me a sort of reincarnation, but more biologically than spiritually.
Maybe some mentality is also passed down, we know  traits and customs are, but is this not just what being human is as opposed to an individual pass down?
We hear the saying "just like their mother or father or even grandparent" is this were the idea of reincarnation came from originally, the passing down of genes and them the individual soul bit came later?

Edited by freetoroam, 29 July 2014 - 10:46 AM.

#3    Hammerclaw

Hammerclaw

Far Traveler

• 5,354 posts

• "Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

Posted 30 July 2014 - 12:40 AM

You should read DUNE by Frank Herbert.

"An atheist, like a Christian, holds that we can know whether or not there is a God. The Christian holds that we can know there is a God; the atheist, that we can know there is not. The Agnostic suspends judgment, saying that there are not sufficient grounds either for affirmation or for denial."

#4    Ashyne

Ashyne

Atheist & Skeptic

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,815 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 10:39 AM

Why is it that everyone thinks remembering a different or past life means reincarnation? What if it is just someone having the ability to access the Akashic Records and synchronizing themselves with the memories of a particular individual? I don't believe in reincarnation or Akashic Records though.

#5    Leonardo

Leonardo

Awake

• 18,410 posts

• Hell is a guilty conscience

Posted 02 August 2014 - 12:19 PM

I like the thoughtfulness that has gone into your article, Ms Meadows. While a skeptic on the subject, one aspect of reincarnation that would bother me is the question of identity.

If the 'reincarnated entity' does not have the same identity, is it truly 're-incarnation'?

In the book of life, the answers aren't in the back. - Charlie Brown

"It is a profound and necessary truth that the deep things in science are not found because they are useful; they are found because it was possible to find them."  - J. Robert Oppenheimer; Scientific Director; The Manhattan Project

"talking bull**** is not a victimless crime" - Marina Hyde, author.

#6    Border Collie

Border Collie

Just testing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,380 posts

• Schrodinger's dog

Posted 03 August 2014 - 09:28 AM

View PostAshyne, on 31 July 2014 - 10:39 AM, said:

Why is it that everyone thinks remembering a different or past life means reincarnation? What if it is just someone having the ability to access the Akashic Records and synchronizing themselves with the memories of a particular individual? I don't believe in reincarnation or Akashic Records though.

This is kind of a circular argument isn't it? I don't believe in this, it could be that. Mind you I don't believe in that either!!

Shame the Dalai Lama doesn't post here!

#7    SpiritWriter

SpiritWriter

Ü

• 4,198 posts

• Hi! :-)

Posted 05 August 2014 - 06:45 AM

Don’t I know all there is to know about embodiment once I’ve been here?

I don't think all of us hit this standard upon death (of our bodies). I think we are always learning and if we are sent back it is because we have more to do.

The letter kills but The Spirit gives life. 2 Corinthians 3:6

Non-ambiguity and non-contradiction are one sided and thus unsuited to express the incomprehensible. -Jung

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users