Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Cities can drive you insane

bubblykiss

http://www.bettermedicine.com/getting-schizophrenia-under-control/urban-rates-of-schizophrenia?did=t1_rss4&hpt=hp_bn18

Question:

I've read that urban environments are associated with schizophrenia. Does city living really cause schizophrenia?

Answer:

Cities do have higher rates of schizophrenia than rural areas. The urban rate is about double the rural rate. Researchers don't know why this difference exists.

The most noticeable symptom in schizophrenia is trouble with thinking. A person might have hallucinations (false perceptions) or delusions (false beliefs).

All in all, city living is a small risk factor when compared to family history, such as having a parent with schizophrenia.

My first thought was denser populations mean that there are simply more chances for more people to manifest any disease or disorder.

But interesting none-the-less.

Maybe a link between urban environments and access to hallucinagenic drugs or any drugs for that matter could potentially influence rates of schizophrenia? No research done by me on this theory, just something that popped into my head as I have no idea what the statistics are.

reminds me of this quote by Jiddu Krishnamurti

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."

edit: spelling

Edited by quiXilver
  • Like 1

There has been a link to cat ownership and schizophrenia. More cat owners in confined spaces in urban areas.

Edited by Paranomaly

There has been a link to cat ownership and schizophrenia. More cat owners in confined spaces in urban areas.

Well I have heard my cat muttering darkly horrific threats against my health and well-being in the middle of the night...well, that or she wants fed, again and again and again.

Edited by bubblykiss
  • Like 1

QUOTE-

Cities can drive you insane.

w-e-l-l-l f-u-u-u-k-k-i-i-i-n d-u-u-u-h Bubbly!!!

• Like 3

Maybe a link between urban environments and access to hallucinagenic drugs or any drugs for that matter could potentially influence rates of schizophrenia? No research done by me on this theory, just something that popped into my head as I have no idea what the statistics are.

[.........]

I've never lived in a city, I live in a town about 2 minutes out of the countryside though, I can't imagine what life would be like if I didn't have the countryside to escape to, I get overwhelmed enough sometimes just living in this small town, Its so nice to get out into the countryside for a walk, Maybe that helps.

I think if all I could see was wall to wall skyscrapers i'd go mad.

• Like 1

Well I have heard my cat muttering darkly horrific threats against my health and well-being in the middle of the night...well, that or she wants fed, again and again and again.

Ha! Our cats must be related. Cats are however supposedly the vector for a disease that can affect the brain of humans, changing their moods, and if I remember it affects men and women differently. I think it makes women want to buy shoes :w00t:. Perhaps the furry little buggers are as domesticated as we would like to think they are.

[.........]

You can get drugs anywhere.

Sorry shrooma, I meant to quote curious rey.

Edited by SheWomanCatTypeThing

Cities certainly drive me insane when I have to drive through them. I no longer consider them civilization. When I go to a big city I act as if I'm entering a jungle and prepare accordingly. But it's a rare thing I avoid them as much as possible.

• Like 1

Cities are claustrophobic places. (To me anyway)

Edited by SheWomanCatTypeThing

My ideal is to be just outside a major city, but not in it...

I love cities for their museums, theater, art, dance, film, festivals, restaurants and yea, the people.

There are still more awesome people than lame.

One of the many cities that drive me 'crazy' is LA. I honestly can't stand that place. I prefer New York or Indianapolis (possibly even Rapid City) over LA.

There is a possible link to heredity in schizophrenia, it is entirely possible that this factor might play a part, the more people in an area the higher the chance of finding other people with the right genetics.

Cities are always love hate with me.

So many things to love... and so freaking many things to drive me nuts... if I let em.

But then, that's anywhere, even the deep forest... friggin horseflies, biting while I'm meditating... that's just rude.