Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Antikythera Mechanism Predicted Eclipses

antikythera history astronomy greece ancient

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1    Insanity

Insanity

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 574 posts

• "Men of broader intellect know that there is no sharp distinction betwixt the real and the unreal..." - H.P. Lovecraft, "The Tomb", Published 1922

Posted 30 July 2014 - 08:20 PM

Published today, July 30, 2014 in the journal PLoS ONE is an article that discusses the Antikythera Mechanism had been used to predict eclipses

Freeth T (2014) "Eclipse Prediction on the Ancient Greek Astronomical Calculating Machine Known as the Antikythera Mechanism." PLoS ONE 9(7).

From the abstract;

"The ancient Greeks built a machine that can predict, for many years ahead, not only eclipses but also a remarkable array of their characteristics, such as directions of obscuration, magnitude, colour, angular diameter of the Moon, relationship with the Moon’s node and eclipse time. It was not entirely accurate, but it was an astonishing achievement for its era."

"We see things only as we are constructed to see them, and can gain no idea of their absolute nature. With five feeble senses we pretend to comprehend the boundlessly complex cosmos, yet other beings with wider, stronger, or different range of senses might not only see very differently the things we see, but might see and study whole worlds of matter, energy, and life which lie close at hand yet can never be detected with the senses we have." - H.P. Lovecraft, "From Beyond" Published 1934

#2    Sir Wearer of Hats

Sir Wearer of Hats

SCIENCE!

• 10,797 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 09:18 PM

Fascinating, the last theory I heard suggested that it "may have" been used to predict planetary alignments and the like, it's good to see some validation to my personal theory that it was a pocket Stonehenge ;)

I must not fear. Fear is the Mind-Killer. It is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and to move through me. And when it is gone I will turn the inner eye to see it's path.
When the fear is gone, there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.

#3    PersonFromPorlock

PersonFromPorlock

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,363 posts

• Few things do more harm than the belief that life should be Dramatic.

Posted 01 August 2014 - 03:28 PM

View PostSir Wearer of Hats, on 30 July 2014 - 09:18 PM, said:

Fascinating, the last theory I heard suggested that it "may have" been used to predict planetary alignments and the like, it's good to see some validation to my personal theory that it was a pocket Stonehenge ;)

Come now! Pockets wouldn't be invented for another 1500 years. And it would have snagged. :P

Also tagged with antikythera, history, astronomy, greece, ancient

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users