Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

The Mafia in America today

• Please log in to reply
169 replies to this topic

#1    BrooklynGuy

BrooklynGuy

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 693 posts

• Just For Today

Posted 31 July 2014 - 11:14 PM

I was wondering what others thought about the power and influence of the mafia today? Recent reports list 8 powerful and influential families, 5 in NYC and one each in Philly, Chicago and Jersey. These reports also state that the families are growing in size and they are moving away fro traditional rackets into more semi legit operations.

Edited by BrooklynGuy, 31 July 2014 - 11:16 PM.

The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why. – Mark Twain

#2    bubblykiss

bubblykiss

Last Among Equals

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,672 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 11:41 PM

Validating link?

“Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it.”
Terry Pratchett, Reaper Man

#3    JVG

JVG

Poltergeist

• 2,370 posts

• Live and learn.

Posted 31 July 2014 - 11:44 PM

That was what they said in the first Godfather movie.  What else do you have???

#4    BrooklynGuy

BrooklynGuy

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 693 posts

• Just For Today

Posted 01 August 2014 - 12:05 AM

View Postbubblykiss, on 31 July 2014 - 11:41 PM, said:

Validating link?

Are you the board fact checker  :whistle:

http://online.wsj.co...363363092833756

http://www.slate.com...rn_mafiosi.html

The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why. – Mark Twain

#5    bubblykiss

bubblykiss

Last Among Equals

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,672 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 12:20 AM

View PostBrooklynGuy, on 01 August 2014 - 12:05 AM, said:

To be fair, you are now among skeptics and cynics. We love our evidence.

“Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it.”
Terry Pratchett, Reaper Man

#6    BrooklynGuy

BrooklynGuy

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 693 posts

• Just For Today

Posted 01 August 2014 - 12:24 AM

View PostJVG, on 31 July 2014 - 11:44 PM, said:

That was what they said in the first Godfather movie.  What else do you have???

So your a fan of the Godfather movies, me too great story and acting too bad its a fairy tale. What else do you have?

#7    SolarPlexus

SolarPlexus

Warrior of Light

• Banned
  • 4,200 posts

• .....This moment contains all moments.....

...You dont have a Soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.....

Posted 01 August 2014 - 12:28 AM

Don't think it'll ever be like before ..... like the OP said, theyre switching more into semi legal stuff

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual."
Galileo Galilei
Posted Image
"Who never walks save where he sees men's tracks makes no discoveries."J.G. Holland

#8    JVG

JVG

Poltergeist

• 2,370 posts

• Live and learn.

Posted 01 August 2014 - 12:34 AM

View PostBrooklynGuy, on 01 August 2014 - 12:24 AM, said:

So your a fan of the Godfather movies, me too great story and acting too bad its a fairy tale. What else do you have?

If I tell that will be the last you hear from me...

#9    BrooklynGuy

BrooklynGuy

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 693 posts

• Just For Today

Posted 01 August 2014 - 12:41 AM

View PostSolarPlexus, on 01 August 2014 - 12:28 AM, said:

Don't think it'll ever be like before ..... like the OP said, theyre switching more into semi legal stuff

Thanks for the post. I agree Solar, the RICO laws and assimilation have taken a toll on the LCN. As you probably know they are into online/offshore gambling, financial scams, pill mills and other businesses that have a whiff of legitimacy. They have adapted.

#10    BrooklynGuy

BrooklynGuy

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 693 posts

• Just For Today

Posted 01 August 2014 - 12:43 AM

View Postbubblykiss, on 01 August 2014 - 12:20 AM, said:

We love our evidence.

So do the feds so your in good company :)

#11    BrooklynGuy

BrooklynGuy

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 693 posts

• Just For Today

Posted 01 August 2014 - 12:48 AM

View PostJVG, on 01 August 2014 - 12:34 AM, said:

If I tell that will be the last you hear from me...

JVG I hear witsec is not that bad nowadays,  you can write a book, and live on a beach. :yes:

#12    mbrn30000

mbrn30000

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 733 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 12:55 AM

Debbie Reynolds once was quoted - Debbie Reynolds, said it best. When asked "why do you live here (in Vegas) - people get killed here. Debbie replied, "Yeah, but only those who need killing". Locals were safe back then. http://www.lasvegass...uled-las-vegas/

I am not pro organized crime and not a mafia worshiper.  I liked the godfather movies for what they were...but I think street and prison gangs, crips, bloods, mexican mafia, aryan brotherhood and offshoots as well as the other non italian gangs, ghost shadow, russian mafia, drug cartels from mexico and south america are the major players now.  I would not count the cosa nostra out, but seems like we have trouble everywhere.

#13    BrooklynGuy

BrooklynGuy

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 693 posts

• Just For Today

Posted 01 August 2014 - 01:04 AM

View Postmbrn30000, on 01 August 2014 - 12:55 AM, said:

Debbie Reynolds once was quoted - Debbie Reynolds, said it best. When asked "why do you live here (in Vegas) - people get killed here. Debbie replied, "Yeah, but only those who need killing". Locals were safe back then. http://www.lasvegass...uled-las-vegas/

I am not pro organized crime and not a mafia worshiper.  I liked the godfather movies for what they were...but I think street and prison gangs, crips, bloods, mexican mafia, aryan brotherhood and offshoots as well as the other non italian gangs, ghost shadow, russian mafia, drug cartels from mexico and south america are the major players now.  I would not count the cosa nostra out, but seems like we have trouble everywhere.

Thanks for the post and the link mbrn, I'm not a fanboy either and agree with you that the other OC players you mentioned have passed the LCN in scope and power. I have no personal knowledge or experience with OC but love to read and have always found it fascinating, probably in part because I'm Italian and grew up in Brooklyn.

#14    StarMountainKid

StarMountainKid

Cheese

• 4,287 posts

• We have problems because we stray from what is innocent and pure.

Posted 01 August 2014 - 02:26 AM

BrooklynGuy said:

Thanks for the post and the link mbrn, I'm not a fanboy either and agree with you that the other OC players you mentioned have passed the LCN in scope and power. I have no personal knowledge or experience with OC but love to read and have always found it fascinating, probably in part because I'm Italian and grew up in Brooklyn.

I grew up in Chicago suburbs in the 1950s when the Mob was powerful in Chicagoland. 1st Ward Alderman was always the mob guy in the City Council. My dad, being a policeman when he was in his 20's, met Al Capone twice. Several Chicago suburbs were controlled by the Mafia in those days. I don't have much knowledge about the Mob now, though.

As an aside, it's interesting how many famous people including many movie stars were born in Brooklyn. This link lists 3210 famous people born in Brooklyn.
http://www.imdb.com/..., New York, USA

The acceptance of authority does not lead to intelligence.
A mind untouched by thought...the end of knowledge.
To see reality loose your opinions.

#15    Camarel

Camarel

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 212 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 04:13 AM

Here's a good blog that compiles all the latest articles that concern the mob - http://www.fivefamiliesnyc.com/ . It also has a link to charts made of the 5 families current status here - http://www.fivefamil...e-families.html . BrooklynGuy as far as i'm aware there's 10 currently recognized viable families as well as the 8 you mentioned, there's the Patriarca family that operates in New England mostly in Providence and Boston; as well as the Detroit family.

Nowadays the mob is seeing less informants and aren't being effected as badly by RICO, because the members are now allowed to take plea deals that can greatly reduce their sentences.

Any fans of Goodfellas, may want to read this article from last year. About a dead body found last year at Jimmy Burke's (Jimmy Conway in the movie) house, and the resulting charges - http://www.theguardi...ufthansa-heist. Also here's the indictment if you can be bothered reading it, it's 26 pages long - http://online.wsj.co...ndict012313.pdf

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users