Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Waiting and the experience of nothingness

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1    markdohle

markdohle

Alien Abducter

• 4,694 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 01:37 PM

Sometimes I don’t have anything to write about, so I just sit and decide to just start to see what happens…like now for instance.  I guess it is a form of waiting, the time between one event an another where there is ‘nothing’ pressing, no need to do anything, just wait.  Sometimes waiting is pleasant, at others it is filled with a ‘nothingness’ that is heavy to endure.  Like waiting in a large room with nothing their but one chair and only surrounded by gloom.  A dullness that clouds the mind and can either cause it to wander, or to almost shut down as it sinks into numbness that can cause the seconds to become even slower.  

There is always some sort of waiting is there not?  Perhaps courses need to be given to show people how to wait and to be able to use that time wisely.  It is not so much about doing something, but in how inactivity can be brought to some sort of enriching experience.  Often when I am in doctor’s office and the wait is a long one, I notice that some people have their eyes closed.  Are they sleeping or meditating, or perhaps a bit of both?  Readers are lucky.  A novel to get lost in can cause the hours to fly by.   Or to read something that causes one to think can make waiting an enriching experience.  Some read and pray, perhaps it could be called ‘Lectio Divina’; the practice of simply reading and allowing  the words to do their work as they are gently and slowly read.  Depending on what belief system one follows, this experience of communion with the Eternal can be give different names.  For the Christian it would be called being open to the Holy Spirit.  

Yet even then, if the wait is long enough, it can drag one down into a place of body and mind numbing boredom.  I often bring up the play “Waiting for Godot”, which brings out this experience of waiting for ‘something’.  It is a boring play; it is supposed to be, depicting the often modern experience of well, just waiting.  Some people, perhaps many in their lives, wait without hope of any kind.  Existence without hope can be unbearable I believe.  Perhaps that is why there is so much addiction of many types.  Some addictions are more acceptable than others, though just as harmful in the long run.  Yet addictive behavior is a coping, even if it is not done well.  

Problem with addictions, after a while they can make the waiting even worse, leading to more destructive ways to escape a reality that is filled with ….well….nothing at all.   For some, in this world of the experience of ‘Nothingness”, is just the waiting room for the entering into a ‘non-state’ for eternity, or so they believe… non-being being our true home…as if all of our lives we simply dance over an eternal abyss of absolute, total, unforgiving, all embracing annihilation.  

Of course, what if this ‘No-Thing-Ness’ was in reality the sum total of all that is and even more, something in which no idol or thought can fathom.  We live in a strange realm, where we constantly ask, seek, and find, yet in the finding if we don’t go deeper into the mystery; we get stuck with an idol that has to die….then what?  Well we go deeper still.  I believe that atheism is like many forms of religion a cop out in the end.   Being an atheist to my way of thinking does away with a lot of questions…..it is just the way things are, no matter how bad, it is all we got.  Yet in the end it does not work.  For nothing in this world seems to help us, or fill us, or make us content for long…..we are called to something more…….could it be that what we seek is a relationship with what can only fill our seeming infinite capacity to seek happiness and love…..is this what is called God, but often made into some form of childish idol?

Each journey is unique, lived once,
a difficult journey no matter our pretensions otherwise,
we do choose in the end, we are freer than we are led to believe,
our burden and our glory this cross we bear, this awful freedom.

#2    RabidMongoose

RabidMongoose

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 546 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 01:52 PM

View Postmarkdohle, on 01 August 2014 - 01:37 PM, said:

Sometimes I don’t have anything to write about, so I just sit and decide to just start to see what happens…like now for instance.  I guess it is a form of waiting, the time between one event an another where there is ‘nothing’ pressing, no need to do anything, just wait.  Sometimes waiting is pleasant, at others it is filled with a ‘nothingness’ that is heavy to endure.  Like waiting in a large room with nothing their but one chair and only surrounded by gloom.  A dullness that clouds the mind and can either cause it to wander, or to almost shut down as it sinks into numbness that can cause the seconds to become even slower.  

There is always some sort of waiting is there not?  Perhaps courses need to be given to show people how to wait and to be able to use that time wisely.  It is not so much about doing something, but in how inactivity can be brought to some sort of enriching experience.  Often when I am in doctor’s office and the wait is a long one, I notice that some people have their eyes closed.  Are they sleeping or meditating, or perhaps a bit of both?  Readers are lucky.  A novel to get lost in can cause the hours to fly by.   Or to read something that causes one to think can make waiting an enriching experience.  Some read and pray, perhaps it could be called ‘Lectio Divina’; the practice of simply reading and allowing  the words to do their work as they are gently and slowly read.  Depending on what belief system one follows, this experience of communion with the Eternal can be give different names.  For the Christian it would be called being open to the Holy Spirit.  

Yet even then, if the wait is long enough, it can drag one down into a place of body and mind numbing boredom.  I often bring up the play “Waiting for Godot”, which brings out this experience of waiting for ‘something’.  It is a boring play; it is supposed to be, depicting the often modern experience of well, just waiting.  Some people, perhaps many in their lives, wait without hope of any kind.  Existence without hope can be unbearable I believe.  Perhaps that is why there is so much addiction of many types.  Some addictions are more acceptable than others, though just as harmful in the long run.  Yet addictive behavior is a coping, even if it is not done well.  

Problem with addictions, after a while they can make the waiting even worse, leading to more destructive ways to escape a reality that is filled with ….well….nothing at all.   For some, in this world of the experience of ‘Nothingness”, is just the waiting room for the entering into a ‘non-state’ for eternity, or so they believe… non-being being our true home…as if all of our lives we simply dance over an eternal abyss of absolute, total, unforgiving, all embracing annihilation.  

Of course, what if this ‘No-Thing-Ness’ was in reality the sum total of all that is and even more, something in which no idol or thought can fathom.  We live in a strange realm, where we constantly ask, seek, and find, yet in the finding if we don’t go deeper into the mystery; we get stuck with an idol that has to die….then what?  Well we go deeper still.  I believe that atheism is like many forms of religion a cop out in the end.   Being an atheist to my way of thinking does away with a lot of questions…..it is just the way things are, no matter how bad, it is all we got.  Yet in the end it does not work.  For nothing in this world seems to help us, or fill us, or make us content for long…..we are called to something more…….could it be that what we seek is a relationship with what can only fill our seeming infinite capacity to seek happiness and love…..is this what is called God, but often made into some form of childish idol?

If you close your eyes and empty your mind you encounter the problem that its hard to keep it empty of thoughts. You can do, for a moment or two, but staying in that state is hard. When it comes to just sitting there and doing nothing people find it equally as hard. We have urges and needs to forfill making it difficult to just take a day out from it all.

#3    reidh

reidh

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 02:07 PM

You cannot experience Nothingess. Experience is consciousness, Nothingness is the complete and utterly vacuous absence of consciousness. It is/would be terrible and horrible to contemplate before it occurred, but it would not be an experience. the closest to Nothingness in real life, is the becoming conscious after either being unconscious, or coming out of a Multiple Identity fugue state. No memeory of intervening time lapse, no dreams, nothing.

#4    markdohle

markdohle

Alien Abducter

• 4,694 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 03:52 PM

View Postreidh, on 01 August 2014 - 02:07 PM, said:

You cannot experience Nothingess. Experience is consciousness, Nothingness is the complete and utterly vacuous absence of consciousness. It is/would be terrible and horrible to contemplate before it occurred, but it would not be an experience. the closest to Nothingness in real life, is the becoming conscious after either being unconscious, or coming out of a Multiple Identity fugue state. No memeory of intervening time lapse, no dreams, nothing.

Of course, it was a metaphor, perhaps emptiness would be a better word.

Peace
Mark

#5    White Crane Feather

White Crane Feather

Forum Divinity

• 11,110 posts

• Potter: " is this real or is this in my mind?"

Dumbledore: " Of course it's in your mind....., but that dosn't mean it's not real."

Posted 02 August 2014 - 03:29 PM

How do you know you cannot experience nothingness if you have not experienced it :D

"I wish neither to possess, Nor to be possessed. I no longer covet paradise, more important, I no longer fear hell. The medicine for my suffering I had within me from the very beginning, but I did not take it. My ailment came from within myself, But I did not observe it until this moment. Now I see that I will never find the light.  Unless, like the candle, I am my own fuel, Consuming myself. "
Bruce Lee-

#6    White Crane Feather

White Crane Feather

Forum Divinity

• 11,110 posts

• Potter: " is this real or is this in my mind?"

Dumbledore: " Of course it's in your mind....., but that dosn't mean it's not real."

Posted 02 August 2014 - 03:32 PM

Each journey is unique, lived once,
a difficult journey no matter our pretensions otherwise,
we do choose in the end, we are freer than we are led to believe,
our burden and our glory this cross we bear, this awful freedom.

Loved this

"I wish neither to possess, Nor to be possessed. I no longer covet paradise, more important, I no longer fear hell. The medicine for my suffering I had within me from the very beginning, but I did not take it. My ailment came from within myself, But I did not observe it until this moment. Now I see that I will never find the light.  Unless, like the candle, I am my own fuel, Consuming myself. "
Bruce Lee-

#7    StarMountainKid

StarMountainKid

Cheese

• 3,980 posts

• We have problems because we stray from what is innocent and pure.

Posted 02 August 2014 - 08:05 PM

Sitting quietly
Spring comes
And the grass grows by itself

An old Zen saying. Emptiness is the fundamental state of mind, a pure mind without adding 'extras' (concepts, thoughts, ideas, memories, desires, etc.). As all sound arises from silence, all action arises from non-action. If we are always active or always thinking, this becomes repetitive habit. This is like an addiction, and when there is nothing to do or nothing to think about, boredom results like a withdrawal from a drug.

When there is nothing to do, do nothing. Experience the serenity and peace of this fundamental empty mind. What a relief not to have to think, to just sit quietly and relax. Free of all cares and self-imposed burdens.

Not-doing always puts a smile on my face. My smile appears spontaneously by itself. When I feel this smile, I know I'm at home within myself.

The acceptance of authority does not lead to intelligence.
A mind untouched by thought...the end of knowledge.
My credentials: http://www.unexplain...ic=87935&st=225

#8    Border Collie

Border Collie

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 565 posts

• Schrodinger's dog

Posted 02 August 2014 - 09:26 PM

Mindfulness

#9    RabidMongoose

RabidMongoose

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 546 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 12:39 PM

A television screen doesnt have to display a picture.

The mind can be empty of all thoughts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users