Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 2 votes

Mysterious Lake Suddenly Appears In Desert

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1    seeder

seeder

Nut Cracker

• 14,150 posts

• Never forget that only the weak fish swim with the stream, and a lie travels half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes.

Posted 02 August 2014 - 10:36 AM

Mysterious lake appears in Tunisian desert

The lake appeared in the Tunisian desert like a mirage; one minute there was nothing but scorching sand, the next a large expanse of turquoise water.

For locals, roasting in the 40C heat, the temptation to cool off in the inviting water quickly overcame any fears about the mysterious pool.

Hundreds flocked to what quickly became known as the Lac de Gafsa or Gafsa beach to splash, paddle, dive, and fling themselves from rocks into the lake, ignoring warnings that the water could be contaminated with carcinogenic chemicals, riddled with disease or possibly radioactive. Even after the water turned a murky green, they arrived in droves, undeterred.

"Some say it is a miracle, while others are calling it a curse," Lakhdar Souid, a Tunisian journalist, told France 24 television.

http://www.theguardi...se-green-sludge

It wasn’t the miners who got rich; it was the people selling picks and shovels. Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored
It's not the depth of the rabbit hole that bugs me... It's all the rabbit poop you stumble over on your way down...
“It's easier to fool people - than to convince them that they have been fooled.”  Mark Twain

"The tragedy of life is not that it ends so soon, but that we wait so long to begin it"

#2    95-Nasty

95-Nasty

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 256 posts

• Mom and daddy said "the life that you've led
    You'll party you're way straight to hell"

Posted 02 August 2014 - 01:13 PM

Im sure the land developers will move in soon to build 'Holiday Homes' ;)

#3    Babe Ruth

Babe Ruth

Non-Corporeal Being

• Closed
  • 8,732 posts

Posted 02 August 2014 - 01:20 PM

Possibly contaminated and carcinogenic.... :cry:

#4    stereologist

stereologist

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,189 posts

Posted 02 August 2014 - 01:37 PM

I didn't bother to look, but it would be interesting to see if the body of water is on google earth. This reminds me of the mystery disappearing lake in Virginia. It was in the movie Dirty Dancing.

http://en.wikipedia....Lake_(Virginia)

Mountain lake is an interesting and short read int he wiki but that does not cover the disappearing act it has:

http://www.virginiap...untainlake.html

Even more unusual is that Mountain Lake completely disappears at times, leaving behind just a lake bottom that becomes a grassy meadow. When Christopher Gist came through the area in 1751 on his way to explore lands claimed by the Ohio Company, he was the first to record the existence of the lake. He wrote in his journal, with the precision of a surveyor recording directions of travel

In 1768, settlers recorded just a spring in a valley with a grassy meadow. It was a good location for watering cattle and providing them salt as a dietary supplement, and the settlers named the location Salt Pond Mountain... but the "missing" lake caused the settlers to question the honesty of Gist's records of his explorations.

Just 17 years later the lake was gone.

The lake has come and gone several times since then and the refilling of the lake is associated with small earthquakes in the area.

#5    seeder

seeder

Nut Cracker

• 14,150 posts

• Never forget that only the weak fish swim with the stream, and a lie travels half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes.

Posted 02 August 2014 - 01:52 PM

Being a natural phenomena, you can imagine what would have happened in ancient or biblical times if a lake appeared overnight, in the desert, as it did!

It wasn’t the miners who got rich; it was the people selling picks and shovels. Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored
It's not the depth of the rabbit hole that bugs me... It's all the rabbit poop you stumble over on your way down...
“It's easier to fool people - than to convince them that they have been fooled.”  Mark Twain

"The tragedy of life is not that it ends so soon, but that we wait so long to begin it"

#6    ancient astronaut

ancient astronaut

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 901 posts

• It Is What It Is.

Posted 02 August 2014 - 02:42 PM

I would air on the side of caution on this one. The old look (or test the water) before you leap adage.

[media='funny-pic'][/media]

#7    pallidin

pallidin

Omnipotent Entity

• 9,099 posts

• "When life gets you down... swim with a dolphin"

Posted 02 August 2014 - 10:18 PM

Yeah, might seem inviting, and I fully understand how that could be.

But, there is a suggested element of danger. Hope that get's figured out.

#8    Big Jim

Big Jim

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 554 posts

Posted 02 August 2014 - 11:48 PM

Craters in Siberia, lakes in the desert. What's going on?
The water should be easy enough to test for radioactivity.

#9    OverSword

OverSword

Forum Divinity

• 17,154 posts

• I love chocolate

Posted 03 August 2014 - 12:09 AM

"Some say it is a miracle, while others are calling it a curse,"

LOL!  I stubbed my toe and the next day this lake appeared.  It's evil I tell you, EVIL!

#10    Rei4ever

Rei4ever

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 58 posts

• Live Fearing... or Die Trying...

I don't care!!! - Lockdown TF4

Posted 04 August 2014 - 12:51 PM

So those people swimming might become *mutants*

#11    Calibeliever

Calibeliever

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,095 posts

• The greatest of faults, I should say, is to be conscious of none. - Thomas Carlyle

Posted 04 August 2014 - 06:25 PM

View PostBabe Ruth, on 02 August 2014 - 01:20 PM, said:

Possibly contaminated and carcinogenic.... :cry:
Even radioactive maybe! Yikes

"This lake is located in an area rich in phosphate deposits, which leave residue that is sometimes strongly radioactive," said journalist Lakhdar Souid.

#12    EllJay

EllJay

Government Agent

• 3,688 posts

• Today We Are Creating Tomorrow's Yesterday

Posted 04 August 2014 - 06:55 PM

Speaking of disappearing lakes - the Lake Peigneur was not a mystery, but it was a hell of a spectacle.
Look at this gigantic whirlpool taking tugboats and barges with it>>

I don't know why but sinkholes, for me, are alway a bit scary to watch - and especially when its in a lake.
Look at this, the whole, long, trees just effin disappears >>

"Opinions are like a**holes - everyone seems to have one" - Dirty Harry

"All those who believe in psychokinesis, raise my hand... "

"I have a black belt in Feng Shui, the subtle martial art. I go home to you and move a lamp and a chair... twelve years later you lay there on the floor with broken kneecaps and destitute."

#13    :PsYKoTiC:BeHAvIoR:

:PsYKoTiC:BeHAvIoR:

Deadliest of the Species

• 3,798 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 12:29 PM

View PostRei4ever, on 04 August 2014 - 12:51 PM, said:

So those people swimming might become *mutants*

Tunisia is about to get their version of the X-men.

Posted Image
"I'd long heard rumors of an alien species that hunted men for sport. I'd always thought they were nothing but campfire tales."

#14    seeder

seeder

Nut Cracker

• 14,150 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 03:27 PM

View PostEllJay, on 04 August 2014 - 06:55 PM, said:

Speaking of disappearing lakes - the Lake Peigneur was not a mystery, but it was a hell of a spectacle.
Look at this gigantic whirlpool taking tugboats and barges with it>>

I don't know why but sinkholes, for me, are alway a bit scary to watch - and especially when its in a lake.
Look at this, the whole, long, trees just effin disappears >>

This was a scary/interesting clip! Thanks  :tu:  for sharing!

#15    JustTerri

JustTerri

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 108 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 04:39 PM

thats pretty cool, but i would be careful.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users