Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * - - 2 votes

Boy drains entire pond to find dropped iPhone

iphone drains pond fishing trip german schoolboy boat

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#1    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 43,330 posts

• Sometimes it's better to keep the mystery unexplained.

Posted 03 August 2014 - 12:39 PM

There are people who definitely are a bit too attached to their smartphone, but this determined German schoolboy is in another league entirely.

A boy enjoying a fishing trip with a group of friends accidentally dropped his iPhone over the side of the boat - so he decided to drain the entire pond.

http://metro.co.uk/2...for-it-4819315/

Posted Image

#2    Skep B

Skep B

Savant of Depravity

• 5,563 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 01:08 PM

....Ok everything else aside, why didnt he just swim for it when he came back that evening?

When you know what a man loves, you know what can kill him

#3    seeder

seeder

Nut Cracker

• 14,105 posts

• Never forget that only the weak fish swim with the stream, and a lie travels half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes.

Posted 03 August 2014 - 03:26 PM

And there's another reason always back up your data!  I can understand his intentions, I did similar. A GF had bought me some real smart Raybans, and some time after I was fishing with a mate from a small boat in a big lake, thankfully tho we were close to shore fishing among the reeds, a hot day, sweaty face, and I looked down into the water and... glasses slid right off, splash and gone!  I had a diving mask so over the side I went, having mentally marked the rough spot first.

Trouble was soon as my feet hit the bottom, the water got cloudy/muddy so had to abandon the task. I stuck a reed in to mark the spot and we fished for a while to let the water clear, then I dove in from further away and snorkelled around for 5 mins till I luckily found them again. Now why couldnt he have taken a swim there and then without asking for permission...he may have found it that way!

It wasn’t the miners who got rich; it was the people selling picks and shovels. Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored
It's not the depth of the rabbit hole that bugs me... It's all the rabbit poop you stumble over on your way down...
“It's easier to fool people - than to convince them that they have been fooled.”  Mark Twain

"The tragedy of life is not that it ends so soon, but that we wait so long to begin it"

#4    Oppono Astos

Oppono Astos

Overlord of Delgon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,094 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 06:47 PM

While flawed, I kinda like his engineering approach to a solution - Vorsprung durch Technik

Who is the skeptic: the realist who won't accept belief, or the believer who won't accept reality?

#5    Sir Wearer of Hats

Sir Wearer of Hats

SCIENCE!

• 15,173 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 08:17 PM

You have to admire the gumption and skill if nothing else.

I must not fear. Fear is the Mind-Killer. It is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and to move through me. And when it is gone I will turn the inner eye to see it's path.
When the fear is gone, there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

You may think you're cool, but you'll never be as cool as Peter Capaldi with an electric guitar, on a tank, playing the Doctor Who theme.

#6    aquatus1

aquatus1

Forum Divinity

• 21,226 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 09:45 PM

Well, he says he did try to use his diving suit, but the angling club wouldn't let him (were they afraid he would scare away the fish?).  Why didn't he wait till the club left, and go diving then?

And how small is this pond that he felt he could drain it down a toilet?  We are talking about a 16 year old here.  Not the brightest bulbs on the shelf, true, but still...

#7    Ashyne

Ashyne

Atheist & Skeptic

• 1,812 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 09:42 AM

Since the plan did not work, title should be "Boy tries to drain entire pond" instead of "Boy drains entire pond".

#8    DefenceMinisterMishkin

DefenceMinisterMishkin

Megalodon Trapper

• Banned
  • 4,590 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 09:48 AM

I could understand if it were a Galaxy S5 but an iPhone? :lol:

Posted Image

#9    Lilly

Lilly

Forum Divinity

• 19,222 posts

• "To thine own self be true" William Shakespeare

Posted 04 August 2014 - 10:45 AM

Don't people have insurance on their phones? (I do)

"Ignorance is ignorance. It is a state of mind, not an opinion." ~MID~

Posted Image

#10    Ashyne

Ashyne

Atheist & Skeptic

• 1,812 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 12:43 PM

View PostDefenceMinisterMishkin, on 04 August 2014 - 09:48 AM, said:

Did you read the article properly? He wasn't trying to save his phone, but his data card.

‘I knew the phone was probably dead but wanted to get the data card back with the numbers, pictures and videos of my friends.’

Edited by Ashyne, 04 August 2014 - 12:45 PM.

#11    :PsYKoTiC:BeHAvIoR:

:PsYKoTiC:BeHAvIoR:

Deadliest of the Species

• 3,798 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 12:52 PM

I gotta give the boy credit for being persistant in his attempt.

Posted Image
"I'd long heard rumors of an alien species that hunted men for sport. I'd always thought they were nothing but campfire tales."

#12    Eldorado

Eldorado

Unforgiven

• 11,896 posts

• I reckon so.

Posted 04 August 2014 - 12:56 PM

View Post:PsYKoTiC:BeHAvIoR:, on 04 August 2014 - 12:52 PM, said:

I gotta give the boy credit for being persistant in his attempt.

He flooded the place... and doesn't care!  If it was my pond I'd be giving him a right earful and introducing him to Tyson, the rottweiler.

#13    :PsYKoTiC:BeHAvIoR:

:PsYKoTiC:BeHAvIoR:

Deadliest of the Species

• 3,798 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 01:04 PM

View PostEldorado, on 04 August 2014 - 12:56 PM, said:

He flooded the place... and doesn't care!  If it was my pond I'd be giving him a right earful and introducing him to Tyson, the rottweiler.

He is a teenager after all.

When I was his age, I thought I knew better than everybody else and didn't care much for consequences. With that said, if I was to meet my 16 year old self today, I'd punch myself in the face.

Posted Image
"I'd long heard rumors of an alien species that hunted men for sport. I'd always thought they were nothing but campfire tales."

#14    danielost

danielost

Forum Divinity

• 31,816 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 01:21 PM

View Postaquatus1, on 03 August 2014 - 09:45 PM, said:

Well, he says he did try to use his diving suit, but the angling club wouldn't let him (were they afraid he would scare away the fish?).  Why didn't he wait till the club left, and go diving then?

And how small is this pond that he felt he could drain it down a toilet?  We are talking about a 16 year old here.  Not the brightest bulbs on the shelf, true, but still...

It wasn't his swim suit it was the clubs suit.  He couldn't reach the bottom with out a tank of air.  The story doesn't say if he knew how to use the gear.

I am a Mormon.  If I don't use Mormons believe, those my beliefs only.
I do not go to church haven't for thirty years.
There are other Mormons on this site. So if I have misspoken about the beliefs. I welcome their input.
I am not perfect and never will be. I do strive to be true to myself. I do my best to stay true to the Mormon faith. Thanks for caring and if you don't peace be with you.

#15    WoIverine

WoIverine

Telekinetic

• 6,827 posts

• With great power, comes great irresponsibility.

Posted 04 August 2014 - 01:44 PM

View PostDefenceMinisterMishkin, on 04 August 2014 - 09:48 AM, said:

Right!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users