Jump to content




Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.


* * * * * 1 votes

PR companies: no working with climate deniers


  • Please log in to reply
80 replies to this topic

#1    questionmark

questionmark

    Cinicus Magnus

  • Member
  • 35,223 posts
  • Joined:26 Jun 2007
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Greece and Des Moines, IA

  • In a flat world there is an explanation to everything.

Posted 04 August 2014 - 01:18 PM

The Guardian said:


Some of the world’s top PR companies have for the first time publicly ruled out working with climate change deniers, marking a fundamental shift in the multi-billion dollar industry that has grown up around the issue of global warming.

Public relations firms have played a critical role over the years in framing the debate on climate change and its solutions – as well as the extensive disinformation campaigns launched to block those initiatives.

Now a number of the top 25 global PR firms have told the Guardian they will not represent clients who deny man-made climate change, or take campaigns seeking to block regulations limiting carbon pollution. Companies include WPP, Waggener Edstrom (WE) Worldwide, Weber Shandwick, Text100, and Finn Partners.

Read more


A skeptic is a well informed believer and a pessimist a well informed optimist
The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#2    MysticStrummer

MysticStrummer

    Paranormal Investigator

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 863 posts
  • Joined:15 Jul 2010
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Central Texas

  • The great path has no gates. Thousands of roads enter it. When one passes through this gateless gate, he walks freely between heaven and earth.

Posted 04 August 2014 - 01:53 PM

Interesting. I'd like to think this is a good sign that people are starting to wake up, but my pessimistic side won't allow those good thoughts to last long. Somewhere I saw a world map with projected warming and North America was projected to be cooler than most places, so I think many 'Muricans will keep walking outside when it's cool and laughing about the very idea of global warming. When the Polar Vortex shoots cool air their way they'll say GW is a joke, but when someone says a severe storm was possibly made worse by GW they'll say you can't read anything into one weather event. It's maddening.

Ummon asked : "The world is such a wide world, why do you answer a bell and don ceremonial robes?" ~ Zen Flesh Zen Bones

#3    Ichihara

Ichihara

    Ectoplasmic Residue

  • Member
  • Pip
  • 224 posts
  • Joined:04 Aug 2014
  • Gender:Not Selected

Posted 04 August 2014 - 09:53 PM

Deniers is strong word. Why not use word "sceptics"? Im sceptic about climate change.

Edited by Ichihara, 04 August 2014 - 09:56 PM.


#4    Br Cornelius

Br Cornelius

    Omnipotent Entity

  • Member
  • 9,985 posts
  • Joined:13 Aug 2008
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Eire

  • Stupid Monkeys.

    Life Sucks.
    Get over it.

Posted 04 August 2014 - 09:59 PM

View PostIchihara, on 04 August 2014 - 09:53 PM, said:

Deniers is strong word. Why not use word "sceptics"? Im sceptic about climate change.
Because they deny the evidence - that is not sceptism in it is denial plain and simple.

People think that there is some significant body of evidence that refutes AGW on which to base skeptism, but the reality is there is nothing but denial of the evidence.

Br Cornelius

I believe nothing, but I have my suspicions.

Robert Anton Wilson

#5    Ichihara

Ichihara

    Ectoplasmic Residue

  • Member
  • Pip
  • 224 posts
  • Joined:04 Aug 2014
  • Gender:Not Selected

Posted 04 August 2014 - 10:02 PM

View PostBr Cornelius, on 04 August 2014 - 09:59 PM, said:

Because they deny the evidence - that is not sceptism in it is denial plain and simple.

People think that there is some significant body of evidence that refutes AGW on which to base skeptism, but the reality is there is nothing but denial of the evidence.

Br Cornelius

On what time scale temperature is rising?

Posted Image

Edited by Ichihara, 04 August 2014 - 10:07 PM.


#6    shrooma

shrooma

    .. Pint Pot Politician.

  • Member
  • 3,492 posts
  • Joined:14 Feb 2013
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:leeds, UK.

  • Live.
    Sin.
    Die.

Posted 04 August 2014 - 10:08 PM

View PostIchihara, on 04 August 2014 - 09:53 PM, said:

Deniers is strong word. Why not use word "sceptics"? Im sceptic about climate change.

View PostBr Cornelius, on 04 August 2014 - 09:59 PM, said:


Because they deny the evidence - that is not sceptism in it is denial plain and simple.

People think that there is some significant body of evidence that refutes AGW on which to base skeptism, but the reality is there is nothing but denial of the evidence.

Br Cornelius
.
i think the point you're both missing here folks is the terms "PR" and "company"
.
these people are, by their very definition, leeches.
.
trust their "opinon" at your peril.....
.


- - - - -disclaimer- - - - -    
all posts- without exception- are humourous.
if you fail to grasp the sublety, then don't whine on like a mardy-arsed
bĦt˘h due to your lack of understanding.

#7    shrooma

shrooma

    .. Pint Pot Politician.

  • Member
  • 3,492 posts
  • Joined:14 Feb 2013
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:leeds, UK.

  • Live.
    Sin.
    Die.

Posted 04 August 2014 - 10:11 PM

(and welcome to UM Ichihara!)
.


- - - - -disclaimer- - - - -    
all posts- without exception- are humourous.
if you fail to grasp the sublety, then don't whine on like a mardy-arsed
bĦt˘h due to your lack of understanding.

#8    Ichihara

Ichihara

    Ectoplasmic Residue

  • Member
  • Pip
  • 224 posts
  • Joined:04 Aug 2014
  • Gender:Not Selected

Posted 04 August 2014 - 10:13 PM

Thanks on welcome.


#9    Br Cornelius

Br Cornelius

    Omnipotent Entity

  • Member
  • 9,985 posts
  • Joined:13 Aug 2008
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Eire

  • Stupid Monkeys.

    Life Sucks.
    Get over it.

Posted 04 August 2014 - 10:13 PM

View PostIchihara, on 04 August 2014 - 10:02 PM, said:

On what time scale temperature is rising?

Posted Image
That is called cherry picking.
Pick one place where there is a counter trend and imply that it refutes the whole body of evidence.

Very poor reasoning and a classic example of denial tactics.

I believe nothing, but I have my suspicions.

Robert Anton Wilson

#10    Ichihara

Ichihara

    Ectoplasmic Residue

  • Member
  • Pip
  • 224 posts
  • Joined:04 Aug 2014
  • Gender:Not Selected

Posted 04 August 2014 - 10:20 PM

View PostBr Cornelius, on 04 August 2014 - 10:13 PM, said:

That is called cherry picking.
Pick one place where there is a counter trend and imply that it refutes the whole body of evidence.

Very poor reasoning and a classic example of denial tactics.

I dont understand. Question is plain and simple. And you should be able to answer it, if you understand AGW issue. Im not expert on it. I just say Im sceptic. Many contradictions, affairs, hidden data, articles with headlines "hottest year ever" (which is not true)  or "hurricanes are increasing"  (which is not true) "polar bears extinction" (which is not true) etc.
We dont even have consensus of scientists on global warming.

Edited by Ichihara, 04 August 2014 - 10:28 PM.


#11    Br Cornelius

Br Cornelius

    Omnipotent Entity

  • Member
  • 9,985 posts
  • Joined:13 Aug 2008
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Eire

  • Stupid Monkeys.

    Life Sucks.
    Get over it.

Posted 04 August 2014 - 10:29 PM

View PostIchihara, on 04 August 2014 - 10:20 PM, said:

I dont understand. Question is plain and simple. And you should be able to answer it if you understand AGW issue. Im not expert on it. I just say Im sceptic. Many contradictions, affairs, hidden data, articles with headlines "hottest year ever" (which is not true)  or "hurricanes are increasing"  (which is not true) "polar bears extinction" (which is not true) etc.
We dont even have consensus of scientists on global warming.
None of those statements are in any way true other than in the denial blogosphere. broaden your horizons and try reading some actual accredited science.

Here is a simple question for you - can you show me a single scientific paper which refutes a significant element of AGW theory and stood up to subsequent analysis ?

Br Cornelius

I believe nothing, but I have my suspicions.

Robert Anton Wilson

#12    Ichihara

Ichihara

    Ectoplasmic Residue

  • Member
  • Pip
  • 224 posts
  • Joined:04 Aug 2014
  • Gender:Not Selected

Posted 04 August 2014 - 10:32 PM

View PostBr Cornelius, on 04 August 2014 - 10:29 PM, said:

None of those statements are in any way true other than in the denial blogosphere. broaden your horizons and try reading some actual accredited science.

Here is a simple question for you - can you show me a single scientific paper which refutes a significant element of AGW theory and stood up to subsequent analysis ?

Br Cornelius

So polar bears are dying? huricannes are increasing? which is hottest year ever? we have consensus of scientists?
And please stop calling for peer review works. We are just chating here. At least I hope so...


#13    Br Cornelius

Br Cornelius

    Omnipotent Entity

  • Member
  • 9,985 posts
  • Joined:13 Aug 2008
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Eire

  • Stupid Monkeys.

    Life Sucks.
    Get over it.

Posted 04 August 2014 - 10:35 PM

View PostIchihara, on 04 August 2014 - 10:32 PM, said:

So polar bears are dying? huricannes are increasing? which is hottest year ever? we have consensus of scientists?
And please stop calling for peer review works. We are just chating here. At least I hope so...
I asked you a simple question - please do not try to divert us away from evidence into rhetoric.

Hollow rhetorical statements serve only to bolster ego's and weak arguments and only appeal to the gullable.

I am not inclined to pleasant chatting about serious issues.

Br Cornelius

Edited by Br Cornelius, 04 August 2014 - 10:37 PM.

I believe nothing, but I have my suspicions.

Robert Anton Wilson

#14    Ichihara

Ichihara

    Ectoplasmic Residue

  • Member
  • Pip
  • 224 posts
  • Joined:04 Aug 2014
  • Gender:Not Selected

Posted 04 August 2014 - 10:35 PM

View PostBr Cornelius, on 04 August 2014 - 10:35 PM, said:

I asked you a simple question - please do not try to divert us away from evidence into rhetoric.

Br Cornelius

Same as I did in  post 5.

Edited by Ichihara, 04 August 2014 - 10:39 PM.


#15    Ichihara

Ichihara

    Ectoplasmic Residue

  • Member
  • Pip
  • 224 posts
  • Joined:04 Aug 2014
  • Gender:Not Selected

Posted 04 August 2014 - 10:37 PM

View Postshrooma, on 04 August 2014 - 10:08 PM, said:

.
i think the point you're both missing here folks is the terms "PR" and "company"
.
these people are, by their very definition, leeches.
.
trust their "opinon" at your peril.....
.

What I think most people is missing is that climate is weather. And that clouds are heating our globe more then we are.

Edited by Ichihara, 04 August 2014 - 10:40 PM.





0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users