Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Scientists invent spray-on solar cells

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1    UM-Bot

UM-Bot

News, media and articles

• 6,196 posts

• Beep Boop

Posted 04 August 2014 - 02:04 PM

Developed at the University of Sheffield, the new technology could be applied to practically any surface.

Solar power is becoming increasingly common these days as more and more householders are opting to have solar panels installed in an effort too help cut down on their energy bills.

Read More: http://www.unexplain...-on-solar-cells

This is an official comment thread for a main site news story, article or video.
Please keep comments civil and on topic.
Thank you.

#2    Rei4ever

Rei4ever

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 58 posts

• Live Fearing... or Die Trying...

I don't care!!! - Lockdown TF4

Posted 04 August 2014 - 02:10 PM

And they are inspired by the movie: "Cloudy with a chances of Meatballs!" Next invention would be Ratbirds and then the FLDSMDFR!!!

#3    Child of Bast

Child of Bast

Queen of the UM Asylum

• 6,148 posts

• The Mad Hatter: "Have I gone mad?"
    Alice: "I'm afraid so. You're entirely bonkers.But I'll tell you a secret: all the best people are."

Posted 04 August 2014 - 02:46 PM

View PostRei4ever, on 04 August 2014 - 02:10 PM, said:

And they are inspired by the movie: "Cloudy with a chances of Meatballs!" Next invention would be Ratbirds and then the FLDSMDFR!!!

Spray on shoes!

No great mind has ever existed without a touch of madness. ~ Aristotle

#4    Rei4ever

Rei4ever

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 58 posts

• Live Fearing... or Die Trying...

I don't care!!! - Lockdown TF4

Posted 04 August 2014 - 03:33 PM

View PostChild of Bast, on 04 August 2014 - 02:46 PM, said:

Spray on shoes!

Yes :yes:

#5    danielost

danielost

Forum Divinity

• 31,816 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 03:35 PM

I wonder if it would be enough to power an electric CSR without plugging in?

I am a Mormon.  If I don't use Mormons believe, those my beliefs only.
I do not go to church haven't for thirty years.
There are other Mormons on this site. So if I have misspoken about the beliefs. I welcome their input.
I am not perfect and never will be. I do strive to be true to myself. I do my best to stay true to the Mormon faith. Thanks for caring and if you don't peace be with you.

#6    StRoostifer

StRoostifer

Roo

• 4,361 posts

• "Our houses are such unwieldy property that we are often imprisoned rather than housed in them."

Posted 04 August 2014 - 04:11 PM

This is pretty cool. Cannot imagine the price tag that will be put on this tech.

I'm ready to paint the car and roof of the house. :)

#7    paperdyer

paperdyer

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,270 posts

• "The place where optimism flourishes the most is the insane asylum."

Posted 04 August 2014 - 07:18 PM

View PostStRoostifer, on 04 August 2014 - 04:11 PM, said:

This is pretty cool. Cannot imagine the price tag that will be put on this tech.

I'm ready to paint the car and roof of the house. :)
That's the problem.  The cost of solar panels eats-up the energy bill savings.  I did some research before I put in my new heat pump.  The solar panels to run the system would save me an estimated $100/month on heating and cooling.  Guess how much financing was a month.  You guessed it $100/month.  Then you have to worry about repairs from tree damage and just general maintenance and just how optimistic the estimate was.

#8    StRoostifer

StRoostifer

Roo

• 4,361 posts

• "Our houses are such unwieldy property that we are often imprisoned rather than housed in them."

Posted 04 August 2014 - 07:24 PM

View Postpaperdyer, on 04 August 2014 - 07:18 PM, said:

That's the problem.  The cost of solar panels eats-up the energy bill savings.  I did some research before I put in my new heat pump.  The solar panels to run the system would save me an estimated $100/month on heating and cooling.  Guess how much financing was a month.  You guessed it $100/month.  Then you have to worry about repairs from tree damage and just general maintenance and just how optimistic the estimate was.
I'm not surprised. All that is taken into account before products get into the market place. This way no matter what choice is made by the consumer, they are still paying the same price all the while making the idiot consumer feel as tho they actually had a choice in the matter. Marketing psychology I tell ya!

#9    little_dreamer

little_dreamer

Government Agent

• 3,409 posts

• We did not understand it all, but somehow we survived.

Posted 04 August 2014 - 08:14 PM

I'm ready for some cheap solar power.  Just don't want to spend thousands to do so.

#10    Talion78

Talion78

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 84 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 09:22 PM

If they can make it look like "Millionaire Hair" bald people could be the batteries of the future.

This is an interesting development and the potential to turn practically anything into a solar power generator has huge potential.

#11    bubblykiss

bubblykiss

Last Among Equals

• 4,263 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 10:03 PM

I live in an inferno/desert. Anything solar powered is of profound interest to me.

Today I drove by a university parking lot where the shade covers were nice fat solar panels and I was pleased beyond all compare. If we are going to be bombarded by light and heat we might as well use it to cool our buildings and structures.

#12    lightly

lightly

metaphysical therapist

• 6,992 posts

• "The future ain't what it used to be"
    Yogi Berra

Posted 05 August 2014 - 01:01 AM

Sounds great!  .. i thought i'd heard of solar cell Paint a few years ago?    Lots of possibilities.    If our devices and especially appliances ever get super efficient..  solar/light power will be the norm.

Important:  The above may contain errors, inaccuracies, omissions, and other limitations.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users