Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

Ecclestone Will Pay to End Corruption Case

ecclestone corruption bayrische landesbank gerhard gribkowsky

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 35,625 posts

• In a flat world there is an explanation to everything.

Posted 05 August 2014 - 02:17 PM

Bloomberg said:

Bernie Ecclestone will pay $100 million to end a Munich corruption case that’s tainted his role as Formula One chief for more than three years.

Judges signed off on Ecclestone’s offer, which the 83-year-old announced at court in Munich earlier today. Ecclestone said he would be able to transfer the amount within a week.

Ecclestone has been on trial in Munich since April on charges he bribed Gerhard Gribkowsky, the former chief risk officer of Bayerische Landesbank, with $44 million to ensure he wouldn’t oppose the sale of the lender’s Formula One stake to CVC Capital Partners Ltd. in 2005. Gribkowsky, who managed the BayernLB’s interest in Formula One before the sale, was convicted in 2012 of accepting bribes and sentenced to 8 1/2 years in prison.

Read more

A skeptic is a well informed believer and a pessimist a well informed optimist
The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#2    libstaK

libstaK

Nosce Te Ipsum

• 6,927 posts

• Hello Reality and all that is True
    When Oxymoron was defined it was just for you

Posted 05 August 2014 - 02:27 PM

So he's up on charges of bribing and he is getting off by offering a bribe?  Even justice has a price tag it seems.

"I warn you, whoever you are, oh you who wish to probe the arcanes of nature, if you do not find within yourself that which you seek, neither shall you find it outside.
If you ignore the excellencies of your own house, how do you intend to find other excellencies?
In you is hidden the treasure of treasures, Oh man, know thyself and you shall know the Universe and the Gods."

Inscription - Temple of Delphi

#3    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 35,625 posts

• In a flat world there is an explanation to everything.

Posted 05 August 2014 - 02:39 PM

View PostlibstaK, on 05 August 2014 - 02:27 PM, said:

So he's up on charges of bribing and he is getting off by offering a bribe?  Even justice has a price tag it seems.

German state attorneys can stop a case if they feel that further prosecution is not in public interest and that a "high enough price" has been paid. The worst that could have happened to Ecclestone was to get a few years of prison of which, given his age and previous criminal record, he would not have served a single day. They probably offered this deal to Ecclestone before it ever hit the courts... but at the time his lawyers had thought they could get him off by claiming that he was not bribing but being "extorted".

A skeptic is a well informed believer and a pessimist a well informed optimist
The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#4    StarMountainKid

StarMountainKid

Cheese

• 4,119 posts

• We have problems because we stray from what is innocent and pure.

Posted 05 August 2014 - 02:47 PM

$100 million is pocket change to Bernie. He bought his daughter a $90 million home in Beverly Hills.

Edited by StarMountainKid, 05 August 2014 - 02:49 PM.

The acceptance of authority does not lead to intelligence.
A mind untouched by thought...the end of knowledge.
My credentials: http://www.unexplain...ic=87935&st=225

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users