Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

The Most Alien-Looking Place On Earth

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1    seeder

seeder

Nut Cracker

• 10,001 posts

• Never forget that only the weak fish swim with the stream, and a lie travels half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes

Posted 06 August 2014 - 11:51 AM

Wow this does look a strange place and one I never heard of !!

One hundred and fifty miles off the Horn of Africa lies a tiny archipelago of islands known as Socotra.  Because of its extreme isolation from other land masses, Socotra has very unique plant life, a third of which can be found nowhere else in the world.

Not only are the plant endemic to Socotra, but they look weird as can be, causing people to refer to it as "the most alien-looking place on earth."

Socotra is part of Yemen, which is currently undergoing some serious political strife. But you wouldn't know that from the surreal beauty of Socotra.

Because Socotra is one of the most isolated land masses in the world, as well as its extreme temperatures and dryness, Socotra's flora is incredibly unique and unusual-looking. A third of all plant life on the island can only be found on Socotra. Today, 70% of the island is a protected as a National park.

Click for pics
http://www.businessi...1#ixzz39bzZSxHA

Posted Image

Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored
It's not the depth of the rabbit hole that bugs me... It's all the rabbit poop you stumble over on your way down...
“It's easier to fool people - than to convince them that they have been fooled.”  Mark Twain

"The tragedy of life is not that it ends so soon, but that we wait so long to begin it"

#2    FollowTheTrail

FollowTheTrail

Female Body Inspector

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,343 posts

• A cool and nice guy!

Posted 06 August 2014 - 01:46 PM

Impressive! :yes:

Intensity, Integrity, Intelligence

#3    CuriousRey

CuriousRey

Jedi Master

• 1,099 posts

• "Do or do not, there is no try." -Yoda

Posted 06 August 2014 - 09:55 PM

Really interesting article, thanks for posting as I had never heard of the place either. :tu:

#4    Hammerclaw

Hammerclaw

Psychic Spy

• 1,986 posts

• "Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

Posted 06 August 2014 - 11:42 PM

Socotra Island.Posted Image

There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy. - Hamlet (1.5.167-8),

#5    Red Howler

Red Howler

Angry werewolf girl

• 1,682 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 06:33 AM

The trees are beautiful!

#6    Sucksquach

Sucksquach

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 11:28 AM

Very nice scenes.

I saw a video somewhere, it lists beautiful places in the US, some of them could be looking just as alien.

#7    seeder

seeder

Nut Cracker

• 10,001 posts

• Never forget that only the weak fish swim with the stream, and a lie travels half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes

Posted 07 August 2014 - 11:54 AM

View PostRose-Red Howler, on 07 August 2014 - 06:33 AM, said:

The trees are beautiful!

And they have red blood-like sap!!!

from the artcile:

One of the most distinct plants on the island is the Dragon's Blood Tree. It gets its name from its crimson red sap, which has been prized for centuries for its purported medicinal qualities. The people of Socotra still use it today as a cure for many daily health problems, as well as for dying fabric, making incense, and staining wood.

Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored
It's not the depth of the rabbit hole that bugs me... It's all the rabbit poop you stumble over on your way down...
“It's easier to fool people - than to convince them that they have been fooled.”  Mark Twain

"The tragedy of life is not that it ends so soon, but that we wait so long to begin it"

#8    magikgoddess

magikgoddess

Psychic Spy

• 1,930 posts

• "To be upset over what you don't have is to waste what you do have." -Ken S. Keyes, Jr.

Posted 15 August 2014 - 02:20 AM

Thanks for sharing that link.  Awesome trees (I've burnt Dragon's Blood incense before, it's nice to have a visual to go with the scent).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users