Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Believing Impossible Stuff Is Dangerous.

• Please log in to reply
70 replies to this topic

#1    markdohle

markdohle

Alien Abducter

• 4,747 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 08:22 PM

In my last article, I dissected the study that went around the Internet claiming that children who have been exposed to religion (like swine flu) can't tell the difference between reality and fiction. Those findings were less than convincing, as I and others pointed out - because kids who had been to Christian Sunday school were virtually guaranteed to recognize the  "fictional" stories as versions of Bible narratives.

http://www.patheos.c...hen-its-awesome

Edited by Saru, 07 August 2014 - 08:39 PM.
Reduced copied material

#2    Rafterman

Rafterman

Telekinetic

• 6,749 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 08:35 PM

He really doesn't understand the scientific method does he?

"You can't have freedom of religion without having freedom from the religious beliefs of other people."

#3    markdohle

markdohle

Alien Abducter

• 4,747 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 08:38 PM

View PostRafterman, on 07 August 2014 - 08:35 PM, said:

He really doesn't understand the scientific method does he?

He does, just differently than you.  He is reacting to a silly article about religious children that is a tad biased.....of course most things are.  This modern myth about the war between religion and science is waged by certain segments in both groups, the majority probably don't see any problem.....they are called the quiet majority.

peace
mark

Edited by markdohle, 07 August 2014 - 08:39 PM.

#4    CuriousRey

CuriousRey

Jedi Master

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,099 posts

• "Do or do not, there is no try." -Yoda

Posted 07 August 2014 - 08:57 PM

Soooo, children have vivid imaginations? Wooooooo, shocker! While I can say with certainty that I have many doubts about believing something that cannot be proven, this stance does not change the fact that I love to imagine that such things are possible.

#5    StarMountainKid

StarMountainKid

Cheese

• 4,095 posts

• We have problems because we stray from what is innocent and pure.

Posted 07 August 2014 - 10:28 PM

So, we should encourage children to believe in religion because it improves their imaginations?

The acceptance of authority does not lead to intelligence.
A mind untouched by thought...the end of knowledge.
My credentials: http://www.unexplain...ic=87935&st=225

#6    Mr Walker

Mr Walker

Forum Divinity

• 15,636 posts

• Sometimes the Phantom leaves the jungle, and walks the streets of the city like an ordinary man.

Posted 09 August 2014 - 02:24 AM

View PostStarMountainKid, on 07 August 2014 - 10:28 PM, said:

So, we should encourage children to believe in religion because it improves their imaginations?
Well, if discouraging belief, restricts imagination then yes . We all need a good imagination .

You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars; you have a right to be here. And whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.

Therefore be at peace with God, whatever you conceive Him to be, and whatever your labors and aspirations, in the noisy confusion of life keep peace with your soul.

With all its sham, drudgery and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world..

Be cheerful.

Strive to be happy.

#7    Rlyeh

Rlyeh

Omnipotent Entity

• 9,164 posts

• Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Posted 09 August 2014 - 03:05 AM

#8    euroninja

euroninja

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 427 posts

• John 14:16
    Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the father, but by me.

Posted 09 August 2014 - 09:24 PM

Don't forget fear and hatred.

Man plans and God laughs.

#9    GreenmansGod

GreenmansGod

Bio-Electric sentient being.

• 9,775 posts

• May the laughter ye give today return to thee 3 fold.

Posted 09 August 2014 - 09:40 PM

If you want to help kids build imagination. then limit the TV and video games and gave them some paint, crayons and blank paper.  Play role playing games with them, tell them stories.  They learn quick enough what is real and story.  My one kid used to tell me some whoppers, but they were good and had a lot of imagination.  When he got done, I'd ask is that true or a whopper.  He would laugh and give it away.  I miss my little kids to bad they had to grow up.

"The moment you declare a set of ideas to be immune from criticism, satire, derision, or contempt, freedom of thought becomes impossible." Salman Rushdie

#10    markdohle

markdohle

Alien Abducter

• 4,747 posts

Posted 09 August 2014 - 10:57 PM

If God exists, yes of course.  The questions, does God exist?  I say yes, and science backs that up.  However to believe in a certain religion does take faith.  for instance Christian parents should tell their children about Christ and should actually live out their faith.

Peace
mark

#11    markdohle

markdohle

Alien Abducter

• 4,747 posts

Posted 09 August 2014 - 10:59 PM

View PostGreenmansGod, on 09 August 2014 - 09:40 PM, said:

If you want to help kids build imagination. then limit the TV and video games and gave them some paint, crayons and blank paper.  Play role playing games with them, tell them stories.  They learn quick enough what is real and story.  My one kid used to tell me some whoppers, but they were good and had a lot of imagination.  When he got done, I'd ask is that true or a whopper.  He would laugh and give it away.  I miss my little kids to bad they had to grow up.

I agree, reading, art and crafts and story telling are one of the best ways to keep one interest in learning open..  TV, while it has its place tends to make the imagination, lazy at least from my viewpoint.

Peace
Mark

#12    markdohle

markdohle

Alien Abducter

• 4,747 posts

Posted 09 August 2014 - 11:00 PM

View Posteuroninja, on 09 August 2014 - 09:24 PM, said:

Don't forget fear and hatred.

You don't need religion to have plenty of that.......it fact it seems to be growing in the world today......even without religion.....North Korea for instance and China, Cuba etc.   People are people, not a pleasant thought.

peace
mark

#13    LostSouls7

LostSouls7

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 895 posts

Posted 10 August 2014 - 12:18 AM

People think magical powers, super natural powers, ghosts, etc are impossible.
It's not until you have seen or felt the pressence of a ghost or spirit
that one will believe...
yet others will just claim they went crazy if they experience the supernatural...

People think it's impossible to move objects across a table without touching them..
yet monks can concentrate their mind and focus and have done this on video...

all limitations are self imposed

Do you Fear The Ouija?
www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUCPmNBbLHM
Wisdom of Magic and Natural Healing Potions enjoy
http://healingpotion...ic.blogspot.com

#14    Mr Walker

Mr Walker

Forum Divinity

• 15,636 posts

• Sometimes the Phantom leaves the jungle, and walks the streets of the city like an ordinary man.

Posted 10 August 2014 - 12:25 AM

View PostLostSouls7, on 10 August 2014 - 12:18 AM, said:

People think magical powers, super natural powers, ghosts, etc are impossible.
It's not until you have seen or felt the pressence of a ghost or spirit
that one will believe...
yet others will just claim they went crazy if they experience the supernatural...

People think it's impossible to move objects across a table without touching them..
yet monks can concentrate their mind and focus and have done this on video...

all limitations are self imposed

I Like your last line. Without imagination nothing is possible because, before we attempt anything, we have to imagine it. If you believe you can do something, eventually you will be able to, even if not in the way you thought possible And if you personally don't achieve it, some other human eventually will.

You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars; you have a right to be here. And whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.

Therefore be at peace with God, whatever you conceive Him to be, and whatever your labors and aspirations, in the noisy confusion of life keep peace with your soul.

With all its sham, drudgery and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world..

Be cheerful.

Strive to be happy.

#15    StarMountainKid

StarMountainKid

Cheese

• 4,095 posts

• We have problems because we stray from what is innocent and pure.

Posted 10 August 2014 - 12:57 AM

Posted Today, 05:57 PM
Posted ImageStarMountainKid, on 07 August 2014 - 05:28 PM, said:

markdohle said:

If God exists, yes of course.  The questions, does God exist?  I say yes, and science backs that up.  However to believe in a certain religion does take faith.  for instance Christian parents should tell their children about Christ and should actually live out their faith.

Science backs up the existence of God?? I think children should understand the difference between imagined stuff and reality. I personally don't believe in indoctrinating children in any particular religion. I think that limits their freedom of imagination. In my opinion, that is imagination-abuse.

I'm very glad my parients did not force-feed me some particular religious belief.

Edited by StarMountainKid, 10 August 2014 - 12:58 AM.

The acceptance of authority does not lead to intelligence.
A mind untouched by thought...the end of knowledge.
My credentials: http://www.unexplain...ic=87935&st=225

Recent blog entries on this topic

Photo

By markdohle in markdohle's Blog, on 10 August 2014 - 02:02 PM

I do get tired of the whole God debate, or is religion good for you conversation, or should be religion be passed on to their children. Yet I do get drawn into it once in awhile. Below is one 'conversation' on the topic. Atheism has always intrigued me so I guess that is why from time to time I get 'caught' by the whole round of the same old...

Read Full Entry →

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users