Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Ride Shotgun With NASA Saucer As It Flies to

ldsd jet propulsion laboratory parachute mars nasa

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 34,215 posts

• We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

Oscar Wilde

Posted 08 August 2014 - 05:30 PM

Ride Shotgun With NASA Saucer As It Flies to Near Space

www.jpl.nasa.gov said:

NASA's Low-Density Supersonic Decelerator (LDSD) project successfully flew a rocket-powered, saucer-shaped test vehicle into near-space in late June from the U.S. Navy's Pacific Missile Range Facility on Kauai, Hawaii. The goal of this experimental flight test, the first of three planned for the project, was to determine if the balloon-launched, rocket-powered, saucer-shaped, design could reach the altitudes and airspeeds needed to test two new breakthrough technologies destined for future Mars missions.

Carried as payload during the shakeout flight were two cutting-edge technologies scheduled to be tested next year aboard this same type of test vehicle. The Supersonic Inflatable Aerodynamic Decelerator (SIAD) is a large, doughnut-shaped air brake that deployed during the flight, helping slow the vehicle from 3.8 to 2 times the speed of sound. The second, the Supersonic Disksail Parachute, is the largest supersonic parachute ever flown. It has more than double the area of the parachute which was used for the Mars Science Laboratory (MSL) mission that carried the Curiosity rover to the surface of Mars.

Posted Image Read more...

"Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-boggingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the street to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space." - The Hitch-Hikers Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Posted Image
Click on button

#2    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 34,215 posts

Oscar Wilde

Posted 08 August 2014 - 05:32 PM

High-Def Video of NASA's 'Flying Saucer' Test

LDSD principal investigator Ian Clark takes us through a play-by-play of NASA's 'Flying Saucer' Test in Hawaii.

Credit: NASA/JPL

Source: NASA/JPL - Videos

"Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-boggingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the street to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space." - The Hitch-Hikers Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Posted Image
Click on button

#3    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 34,215 posts

Oscar Wilde

Posted 09 August 2014 - 06:36 PM

NASA Press Briefing Includes Early Test Results for New Planetary Landing Technology

During an August 8 news briefing at the Jet Propulsion Laboratory in Pasadena, California, NASA released new video from last monthís Low-Density Supersonic Decelerator test in Hawaii and discussed early results of the test. The successful cross-cutting demonstration of the LDSD projectís saucer-shaped test vehicle was designed to evaluate technologies for safely landing larger and heavier payloads on the surface of Mars and other planets with atmospheres.

Credit: NASA

Source: NASA - Multimedia

Posted Image
Click on button

#4    Duchess Gummybuns

Duchess Gummybuns

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 121 posts

• I would like to believe, but the Government covers it up as a weather balloon.

Posted 10 August 2014 - 04:16 PM

I'm not gonna lie: I want one of those and I want it pronto.

#5    loki720

loki720

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 59 posts

• One cannot say another is wrong unless they themselves have been proven right - anon

Posted 10 August 2014 - 04:26 PM

Well I imagine the AA and UFO people are going to be all over this one. Becuase , you know, its all a gubmint coverup.
Please people.... your setting the human race back hundreds of years because you prefer to live in a fantasy world. Seriously if your lifes that bad that you xant face reality then get some meds.

#6    pallidin

pallidin

Omnipotent Entity

• 9,081 posts

• "When life gets you down... swim with a dolphin"

Posted 10 August 2014 - 06:23 PM

Very cool vid.

#7    Perceptivum

Perceptivum

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 301 posts

• Too many freaks, not enough circuses.

Posted 11 August 2014 - 04:44 PM

That was great to see!! I wonder how many UFO reports will come out of this test.

#8    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 34,215 posts

Oscar Wilde

Posted 11 August 2014 - 05:02 PM

View PostPerceptivum, on 11 August 2014 - 04:44 PM, said:

I wonder how many UFO reports will come out of this test.

The fact that it was launched from under a balloon at an altitude of 120,000 ft more than 100 miles off the coast over the Pacific Ocean makes it highly unlikely that it was seen at all.

Edited by Waspie_Dwarf, 11 August 2014 - 05:03 PM.

Posted Image
Click on button

#9    Silent Trinity

Silent Trinity

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 264 posts

• Conspiracy Theorist: Nothing more than a derogatory title used to dismiss a critical thinker

Posted 20 August 2014 - 11:31 AM

What a fantastic piece of engineering! Although we all know that this is only going to serve to increase the amount of false UFO reports..... :yes:

Posted Image

"That is the essence of science: ask an impertinent question and you are on the way to a pertinent answer..."

- Jacob Bronowski

#10    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 34,215 posts

Oscar Wilde

Posted 20 August 2014 - 12:07 PM

View PostSilent Trinity, on 20 August 2014 - 11:31 AM, said:

What a fantastic piece of engineering! Although we all know that this is only going to serve to increase the amount of false UFO reports..... :yes:

No we don't know that. See my post above.

Posted Image
Click on button

Also tagged with ldsd, jet propulsion laboratory, parachute, mars, nasa

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users