Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Skeptic Brian Dunning Sentenced

• Please log in to reply
159 replies to this topic

#1    Sweetpumper

Sweetpumper

Heatseeker

• 10,637 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 07:50 PM

Leading skeptic Brian Dunning, of the popular Skeptoid podcast, has this week been sentenced to 15 months in a Federal prison for defrauding eBay of hundreds of thousands of dollars. His incarceration will begin on September 2.

Posted Image

http://www.dailygrai...hs-Prison-Fraud

"At it's most basic level, science is supposed to represent the investigation of the unexplained, not the explanation of the uninvestigated." - Hunt for the Skinwalker

"The ultimate irony of the Disclosure movement is that it deeply distrusts officialdom, while simultaneously looking to officialdom for the truth." - Robbie Graham Silver Screen Saucers

#2    CatFromHell

CatFromHell

Psychic Spy

• Closed
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,023 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 08:11 PM

See, Evil those skeptics are!

#3    Valdemar the Great

Valdemar the Great

Mainly Spherical in Shape

• 25,063 posts

• Vampires are people too.

Posted 08 August 2014 - 08:14 PM

ha! Another Skeptic down! Like how they got Al Capone for tax evasion, the important thing is that they got him in the end,

[Disclaimer:  It should be obvious that I'm being tongue in cheek, but you never can tell with some people. :blush: ]

Edited by Admiral Rhubarb, 08 August 2014 - 08:14 PM.

Life is a hideous business, and from the background behind what we know of it peer daemoniacal hints of truth which make it sometimes a thousandfold more hideous.

H. P. Lovecraft.

:cat:

#4    Sweetpumper

Sweetpumper

Heatseeker

• 10,637 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 08:16 PM

You're in the no humor zone. Stop that.

What a charlatan and liar. It seems he's all about money.

Edited by Sweetpumper, 08 August 2014 - 08:57 PM.

"At it's most basic level, science is supposed to represent the investigation of the unexplained, not the explanation of the uninvestigated." - Hunt for the Skinwalker

"The ultimate irony of the Disclosure movement is that it deeply distrusts officialdom, while simultaneously looking to officialdom for the truth." - Robbie Graham Silver Screen Saucers

#5    sam_comm

sam_comm

Psychic Spy

• 1,003 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 11:37 PM

He was arrested and charged in 2013 I think. The Business Insider wrote an extensive article about it: http://www.businessi...g-2013-4?page=1

Well, for sure it's kind of ironic for someone involved in the skeptics movement and advocating against frauds in the paranormal. He ended up doing just that.

Edited by sam_comm, 08 August 2014 - 11:46 PM.

#6    Skep B

Skep B

Savant of Depravity

• 5,174 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 11:43 PM

Yes...the perfect cover

I've seen **** that'll turn you WHITE!

#7    Sakari

Sakari

tohi

• 12,561 posts
  • Location:Safford, Arizona...My heart and soul are still on the Oregon Coast.

• Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Posted 08 August 2014 - 11:47 PM

At least he did not make it reading palms or cards, or doing " psychic readings "......

Now, they should be in prison....

Our Wolf's Memorial Page

http://petsupports.com/a04/sakari.htm

#8    Merc14

Merc14

anti-woo magician

• 5,394 posts

Posted 09 August 2014 - 12:51 AM

A blog with a lot of details
http://skepchick.org...gs-explanation/

Nice midterms democrats.  As Pelosi says, "Embrace the suck".

#9    Sir Wearer of Hats

Sir Wearer of Hats

SCIENCE!

• 10,782 posts

Posted 09 August 2014 - 02:22 AM

clearly "the man" hacked into his computer and placed information there to incriminate him.

I must not fear. Fear is the Mind-Killer. It is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and to move through me. And when it is gone I will turn the inner eye to see it's path.
When the fear is gone, there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.

#10    sam_comm

sam_comm

Psychic Spy

• 1,003 posts

Posted 09 August 2014 - 03:12 PM

View PostSakari, on 08 August 2014 - 11:47 PM, said:

At least he did not make it reading palms or cards, or doing " psychic readings "......

Now, they should be in prison....

It does not really matter, fraud is fraud. The cover used to accomplish it, 'paranormal' or not is irrelevant, in this case he used Ebay and unsuspecting people by putting a cookie stealthily on their computers to make money. While palm or card readings may be ethically questionable, it's not considered illegal. People pay for a controversial service they should be aware is not backed up by any science.

I read on the skepchick blog that he's planning to resume his Skeptoid podcast as soon as he's out of prison. That can only undermine the credibility of the skeptics movement in my view.

Edited by sam_comm, 09 August 2014 - 03:37 PM.

#11    Sakari

Sakari

tohi

• 12,561 posts
  • Location:Safford, Arizona...My heart and soul are still on the Oregon Coast.

• Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Posted 10 August 2014 - 05:13 PM

View Postsam_comm, on 09 August 2014 - 03:12 PM, said:

It does not really matter, fraud is fraud. The cover used to accomplish it, 'paranormal' or not is irrelevant, in this case he used Ebay and unsuspecting people by putting a cookie stealthily on their computers to make money. While palm or card readings may be ethically questionable, it's not considered illegal. People pay for a controversial service they should be aware is not backed up by any science.

I read on the skepchick blog that he's planning to resume his Skeptoid podcast as soon as he's out of prison. That can only undermine the credibility of the skeptics movement in my view.

I understand. But, if fraud is fraud ( like I was saying ) why do these " psychics " not get charged. The do not even use hidden cookies, they have websites.

Both are wrong.

Our Wolf's Memorial Page

http://petsupports.com/a04/sakari.htm

#12    itsnotoutthere

itsnotoutthere

Telekinetic

• 7,129 posts

• “Life is a whim of several billion cells to be you for a while”

Posted 10 August 2014 - 06:44 PM

View PostSweetpumper, on 08 August 2014 - 08:16 PM, said:

Like most of the guys doing the ufo circuit then.

“Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies.”
― Groucho Marx

#13    DONTEATUS

DONTEATUS

Forum Divinity

• 17,804 posts

Posted 10 August 2014 - 08:49 PM

Oh! the Dark side Brian he uses He dose ! Use the Force Spetics !

This is a Work in Progress!

#14    sam_comm

sam_comm

Psychic Spy

• 1,003 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 01:06 AM

View PostSakari, on 10 August 2014 - 05:13 PM, said:

I understand. But, if fraud is fraud ( like I was saying ) why do these " psychics " not get charged. The do not even use hidden cookies, they have websites.

Both are wrong.

Selling a controversial service is not neceserily illegal. If people go willingly to consult a self-proclaimed psychic (and there are many who do so, even very educated people) that's entirely up to them. Wether or not the psychic has any kind of real supernatural ability is, without proof, a matter of personal belief. That's where the ethical debate takes place. But what's illegal is exploitation and extortion of money. So called ''psychics''  are arrested and charged on a regular basis for preying on vulnerable people. They've stolen the money, through means of manipulation or coercion.

See for exemple:

http://www.lasvegass...d-fraud-charge/
http://www.ktvz.com/...y-feds/26597658
http://doubtfulnews....0k-from-victim/
http://freethoughtbl...iminal-charges/

Edited by sam_comm, 11 August 2014 - 01:25 AM.

#15    psyche101

psyche101

Conspiracy Realist

• 31,830 posts

• If you stop to think, Remember to start again

Posted 11 August 2014 - 05:41 AM

View PostSweetpumper, on 08 August 2014 - 08:16 PM, said:

Normally just the realm of UFOlogists we know, this guy ran a scam, got caught.

Shame they could not find any flaws in his skeptical arguments. Yes, scumbags exist on both sides of the fence, this is a shock to some people???? Never heard the phrase "There is one in every crowd"?

Good God, hundreds of UFOlogists outright make crap up and lie to people's faces to rip them off, and even in some cases kill them. One skeptic gets caught scamming a HUGE organisation, and you think this means UFO's are now all alien spaceships????? Like you never pinched something from KMart when you were a kid and told yourself "It's alright, they are a HUGE company and won't miss this tiny little thing - but they DID".

Thing is, this man has been caught, and is being punished. Imagine if every UFOlogists that lied, ripped people off and even killed others had to face the music? There would not be enough prisons. Just the AA Vandals alone would fill them up.

Yeah, he is a charlatan and a liar, don't trust ANYTHING he has to say about EBay. We all warm and fuzzy now?

Things are what they are. - Me Reality can't be debunked. That's the beauty of it. - Capeo If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants. - Sir Isaac Newton Let me repeat the lesson learned from the Sturrock scientific review panel: Pack up your old data and forget it. Ufology needs new data, new cases, new rigorous and scientific methodologies if it hopes ever to get out of its pit. - Ed Stewart Youtube is the last refuge of the ignorant and is more often used for disinformation than genuine research.  There is a REASON for PEER REVIEW... - Chrlzs Nothing is inexplicable, just unexplained. - Dr Who

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users