Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

New memorial planned for gay veterans

questionmark

A new memorial is in the works for gay veterans, with the coordinating group announcing a final design for the project this week.

The memorial, which is planned for construction at Congressional Cemetery in Washington, will consist of three black granite panels standing 11 feet high and 5 feet wide, according to the National Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender Veteran’s Memorial Project.

Each of the panels will contain two of the service emblems for the Army, Air Force, Navy, Marines, Coast Guard and Merchant Marines. The pillars will stand in a triangle, allowing visitors to walk inside, where there will be a flag pole and inscriptions explaining the meaning of the memorial.

Read more

Hmm.

Doesn't it ever occur to anyone that the more you seperate yourself from the general public, the more seperate you are seen.

I'm not sure how this really benefits anyone. I don't care if my veterans are gay. I honor them because they are veterans.

That is precisely what I was thinking... but I guess it is the pendulum law... if you hold it on the right side it will swing all the way to the left as soon as released.

This sounds like something that is overdue to say Alexander the Great's army...but the American...hmmmmmmm

I may have missed something but I don't recall a memorial only for straight troops or for that matter a whites only one. They are for all troops.

• Like 1

right .. then what? a vegetarian veteran's memorial? .. and a left handed veteran's memorial? I only object to the public cost involved in this particular endeavor .

• Like 4

The only thing I can imagine it's to do is counteract the years of them not being tolerated and getting dishonorable discharges if discovered. Still, a much better way to do that, would be to further steps that make sure they are treated just like every other soldier and every other veteran when done.

Gay soldiers, like any soldier, don't need monuments of any kind.

They need good tools when in a fight and solid medical care when they are done.

• Like 3

OK new monument proposal time;

Veterans of Non-Robotic Rebellion Wars

Veterans of The Cola-Wars

Veterans of Halliburton long food lines wars

Veterans of the wra ahn illitersee

• Like 4

so common memorials are not good enough for gays? and they say they want equality?? lol equality my a s s .

To be fair it also honors "Lesbians, Bisexuals, and Transgender" veterans as well.

so common memorials are not good enough for gays? and they say they want equality?? lol equality my a s s .

The only soldiers I've known to care about memorials are retired... nostalgia and honoring memory becomes a big thing then.

Otherwise it mainly feels like a political show and a feel good for folks who never had to participate in the fighting.

Young veterans I know, care sh(i)t one about memorials... they care about feeding their families and trying to enjoy life.

• Like 2

To be fair it also honors "Lesbians, Bisexuals, and Transgender" veterans as well.

ok my bad, them to, but the point still stands, it is not equality, but special treatment, just like i have always have been saying, and lgbt and their supporters always kept denying it.

• Like 1

Well they fought and died as soldiers, what the **** has their sexuality got to do with anything? What next, a memorial for dead virgin soldiers? Does this mean gays etc will be excluded from regular Memorials in the future? Seems like a step backwards, not forwards.

• Like 3

One more major step, forcing church's to marry them.

A lot of negative comments here. I can understand why some would think this memorial is unneceassary or redundant, but maybe it will enable people to realize gays have also given their lives for their country.

I also think it untrue that active duty soldiers don't give a **** for veteran memorials. I suppose if they were all to be torn down, active duty soldiers would be the first to volunteer to get rid of this useless junk.

• Like 1

A lot of negative comments here. I can understand why some would think this memorial is unneceassary or redundant, but maybe it will enable people to realize gays have also given their lives for their country.

It feels like too much individualization to me. Do we need separate memorials for the Irish, Scottish, Italians, Africans and so forth also? How far does it need to go?

• Like 2

It feels like too much individualization to me. Do we need separate memorials for the Irish, Scottish, Italians, Africans and so forth also? How far does it need to go?

I think being gay in the miltary has been quite a different experience than being Irish or Scottish in the military. Why so much objection to a little memorial in some cemetery most will never visit, and when the news gets old most will forget about it anyway?

If those who object go to the site and protest, I guarantee they'll be in strange company.

If they're veterans, they're already being honoured.

If they've been excluded because of their sexuality, then ADD THEM TO THE PRE-EXISTING MONUMENTS rather then segregate them.

• Like 4

I don't see the point of this, unless they died of Aids.. :P

Nobody cares where you stick your guns..

:D

I think being gay in the miltary has been quite a different experience than being Irish or Scottish in the military. Why so much objection to a little memorial in some cemetery most will never visit, and when the news gets old most will forget about it anyway?

If those who object go to the site and protest, I guarantee they'll be in strange company.

Don't read too much into an offhand comment. I've just never been a fan of segregation whether it's self-imposed or not.

• Like 2

Expressing concern on a discussion forum is quite a far cry from protesting it. If they want to build such a thing, fine, it doesn't hurt me at all. I support gays and lesbians, and feel they should have every right bestowed to them as to any other person in our society. I just don't see what purpose it serves.

Honoring a veteran because of their lifestyle choice smacks more of 'politically correctedness' than actual recognition for their service.

Edited by supervike
  • Like 4

Blacks have fight in ever american war. Yet they were also slaves. I don't see them having their own memorials.

Well said supervike... +1 from me on that.

I also think it untrue that active duty soldiers don't give a **** for veteran memorials. I suppose if they were all to be torn down, active duty soldiers would be the first to volunteer to get rid of this useless junk.

Well I just assumed that there would be a percentage of young men out on the front lines of WW2 away from any female company that would have been gay and/or experimented and I don't see any WW2 'gay' memorials. I still fail to see the relevance of sexuality to dying in war. Although I suppose that in itself is telling in that only just a few years ago people would be punished and kicked out of the forces for having none heterosexual tendencies. Anyway, as they are not hurting anyone let them get on with it, although if it's pink or rainbow then I'll just laugh at the stereotype.

Edited by George Ford

No. Why? Because it was never against regulation for them to serve. You have never served in the military, so you would never understand what they would have went through. These are people that chose to put their sexuality on the back burner to serve in the military under "don't ask, don't tell". They truly put their country before themselves, which is more than anyone on this thread can say. They went to work everyday and heard people saying "that's gay", "don't be a ****ot". If Jackie Robinson has a memorial, you are damn straight gay Soldiers deserve one.