Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

New memorial planned for gay veterans

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 35,318 posts

• In a flat world there is an explanation to everything.

Posted 08 August 2014 - 08:03 PM

Washington Post said:

A new memorial is in the works for gay veterans, with the coordinating group announcing a final design for the project this week.

The memorial, which is planned for construction at Congressional Cemetery in Washington, will consist of three black granite panels standing 11 feet high and 5 feet wide, according to the National Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender Veteran’s Memorial Project.

Each of the panels will contain two of the service emblems for the Army, Air Force, Navy, Marines, Coast Guard and Merchant Marines. The pillars will stand in a triangle, allowing visitors to walk inside, where there will be a flag pole and inscriptions explaining the meaning of the memorial.

Read more

A skeptic is a well informed believer and a pessimist a well informed optimist
The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#2    supervike

supervike

Alien Abducter

• 5,491 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 08:07 PM

POPULAR

Hmm.

Doesn't it ever occur to anyone that the more you seperate yourself from the general public, the more seperate you are seen.

I'm not sure how this really benefits anyone.  I don't care if my veterans are gay.  I honor them because they are veterans.

#3    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 35,318 posts

• In a flat world there is an explanation to everything.

Posted 08 August 2014 - 08:09 PM

View Postsupervike, on 08 August 2014 - 08:07 PM, said:

Hmm.

Doesn't it ever occur to anyone that the more you seperate yourself from the general public, the more seperate you are seen.

I'm not sure how this really benefits anyone.  I don't care if my veterans are gay.  I honor them because they are veterans.

That is precisely what I was thinking... but I guess it is the pendulum law... if you hold it on the right   side it will swing all the way to the left as soon as released.

A skeptic is a well informed believer and a pessimist a well informed optimist
The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#4    bubblykiss

bubblykiss

Last Among Equals

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,113 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 08:11 PM

This sounds like something that is overdue to say Alexander the Great's army...but the American...hmmmmmmm

After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. I sure as hell wouldn't want to live in a society where the only people allowed guns are the police and the military.

William S. Burroughs

#5    danielost

danielost

Forum Divinity

• 29,615 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 08:19 PM

I may have missed something but I don't recall a memorial only for straight troops or for that matter a whites only one.  They are for all troops.

I am a mormon.  If I don't use mormons believe, those my beliefs only.
I do not go to church haven't for thirty years.
There are other mormons on this site. So if I have misspoken about the beliefs. I welcome their input.
I am not perfect and never will be. I do strive to be true to myself. I do my best to stay true to the mormon faith. Thank for careing and if you don't peace be with you.

#6    lightly

lightly

metaphysical therapist

• 5,841 posts

• "The future ain't what it used to be"
    Yogi Berra

Posted 08 August 2014 - 08:27 PM

right    .. then what?   a vegetarian veteran's memorial?    .. and a left handed veteran's memorial?      I only object to the public cost involved in this particular endeavor  .

Important:  The above may contain errors, inaccuracies, omissions, and other limitations.

#7    quiXilver

quiXilver

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 759 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 08:36 PM

The only thing I can imagine it's to do is counteract the years of them not being tolerated and getting dishonorable discharges if discovered.  Still, a much better way to do that, would be to further steps that make sure they are treated just like every other soldier and every other veteran when done.

Gay soldiers, like any soldier, don't need monuments of any kind.
They need good tools when in a fight and solid medical care when they are done.

"Unknowingly, we plow the dust of stars, blown about us by the wind and drink the universe in a glass of rain."
Ihab Hassan

Everything you Love and Everything you Hate, come from the Same Source:  Creighton Larson

#8    bubblykiss

bubblykiss

Last Among Equals

• 1,113 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 08:37 PM

OK new monument proposal time;

Veterans of Non-Robotic Rebellion Wars
Veterans of The Cola-Wars
Veterans of Halliburton long food lines wars
Veterans of the wra ahn illitersee

After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. I sure as hell wouldn't want to live in a society where the only people allowed guns are the police and the military.

William S. Burroughs

#9    aztek

aztek

Majestic 12 Operative

• 5,777 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 08:37 PM

so common memorials are not good enough for gays?  and they say they want equality?? lol equality my a s s .

RESIDENT TROLL.

#10    bubblykiss

bubblykiss

Last Among Equals

• 1,113 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 08:38 PM

View Postaztek, on 08 August 2014 - 08:37 PM, said:

so common memorials are not good enough for gays?  and they say they want equality?? lol equality my a s s .

To be fair it also honors "Lesbians, Bisexuals, and Transgender" veterans as well.

William S. Burroughs

#11    quiXilver

quiXilver

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 759 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 08:41 PM

View Postaztek, on 08 August 2014 - 08:37 PM, said:

The only soldiers I've known to care about memorials are retired... nostalgia and honoring memory becomes a big thing then.
Otherwise it mainly feels like a political show and a feel good for folks who never had to participate in the fighting.
Young veterans I know, care sh(i)t one about memorials... they care about feeding their families and trying to enjoy life.

"Unknowingly, we plow the dust of stars, blown about us by the wind and drink the universe in a glass of rain."
Ihab Hassan

Everything you Love and Everything you Hate, come from the Same Source:  Creighton Larson

#12    aztek

aztek

Majestic 12 Operative

• 5,777 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 08:43 PM

View Postbubblykiss, on 08 August 2014 - 08:38 PM, said:

To be fair it also honors "Lesbians, Bisexuals, and Transgender" veterans as well.

ok my bad, them to, but the point still stands, it is not equality, but special treatment, just like i have always have been saying, and lgbt and their supporters always kept denying it.

RESIDENT TROLL.

#13    George Ford

George Ford

smile

• 2,819 posts

• "Quickly, I require your fingers."

Posted 08 August 2014 - 09:41 PM

Well they fought and died as soldiers, what the **** has their sexuality got to do with anything? What next, a memorial for dead virgin soldiers? Does this mean gays etc will be excluded from regular Memorials in the future? Seems like a step backwards, not forwards.

“Extraordinary claims require extraoardinary evidence”

~
Carl Sagan

#14    danielost

danielost

Forum Divinity

• 29,615 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 09:41 PM

One more major step, forcing church's to marry them.

I am a mormon.  If I don't use mormons believe, those my beliefs only.
I do not go to church haven't for thirty years.
There are other mormons on this site. So if I have misspoken about the beliefs. I welcome their input.
I am not perfect and never will be. I do strive to be true to myself. I do my best to stay true to the mormon faith. Thank for careing and if you don't peace be with you.

#15    StarMountainKid

StarMountainKid

Cheese

• 3,980 posts

• We have problems because we stray from what is innocent and pure.

Posted 08 August 2014 - 10:11 PM

A lot of negative comments here. I can understand why some would think this memorial is unneceassary or redundant, but maybe it will enable people to realize gays have also given their lives for their country.

I also think it untrue that active duty soldiers don't give a **** for veteran memorials. I suppose if they were all to be torn down, active duty soldiers would be the first to volunteer to get rid of this useless junk.

The acceptance of authority does not lead to intelligence.
A mind untouched by thought...the end of knowledge.
My credentials: http://www.unexplain...ic=87935&st=225

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users