Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Strange archive of incredible lost species

pere formiguera archive cellar grotesque stuffed animals peter ameisenhaufen zoologist teratological studies

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 40,700 posts

• Sometimes it's better to keep the mystery unexplained.

Posted 09 August 2014 - 10:43 AM

In the summer of 1980, while staying in a gloomy old mansion on the rugged coast of Cape Wrath in the far north of Scotland, my friend Pere Formiguera and I happened upon a strange archive.

It was a dreary afternoon; we didn't feel like venturing out and so decided to go into the cellar. The damp, musty storeroom instantly aroused our curiosity: the cobweb-covered shelves were piled with notebooks, photographic plates, dissection instruments and jars of formaldehyde. On the floor we found the most grotesque stuffed animals.

http://www.telegraph...-with-legs.html

Posted Image

#2    Scandal

Scandal

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 119 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 11:36 AM

Certainly is weird.

#3    ChrLzs

ChrLzs

Just a contributor..

• 4,031 posts

• I only floccinaucinihilipilificate
    when it IS worthless...

Posted 13 August 2014 - 12:29 PM

Ahem...  In case anyone doesn't twig.. it's one of those 'artistic installations' and is a (quite clever and thorough) fictional creation.  Have a long slow read of this link to a New York Times review of the show when it was on at the Museum of Modern Art - in that article you will find a lengthy review and discussion, including these bits:

.. the viewer is actually perusing ''Fauna,'' a strange, precise and in many ways enchanting scientific hoax. It is a collaborative work of Conceptual art created over the past three years by two young Spanish artists, Joan Fontcuberta and Pere Formiguera...
...''Fauna'' is well done and engaging, alternately convincing and completely transparent...
...the photos are often hilariously homemade in appearance...
...perfectly balances science and myth, method and imagination, it seems to bridge an important childhood gap between the natural history museum and the art museum...

Added PS - You can find some more of Fontcuberta's photography and image manipulation skills here at this link - you will see that she is quite the Photoshopper!

Edited by ChrLzs, 13 August 2014 - 12:31 PM.

My garden is already magical and beyond beautiful - I do not need to invent fairies... - ChrLzs

The truth ONLY hurts when it slaps you in the face after you haven't done proper homework and made silly claims... - ChrLzs

#4    Mac E

Mac E

Mass Confuser

• 2,144 posts

• If you can't convince them, confuse them.

Posted 13 August 2014 - 12:42 PM

He was quite the skilled taxidermist it looks like.  They don't mention the extinct species by name or in any great detail.  All I saw were fictional taxidemied species.

In the beginning there were only probabilities. The universe could only come into existence if someone observed it. It does not matter that the observers turned up several billion years later. The universe exists because we are aware of it.

Martin Rees (1942) Astrophysicist

#5    magikgoddess

magikgoddess

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,984 posts

• "To be upset over what you don't have is to waste what you do have." -Ken S. Keyes, Jr.

Posted 14 August 2014 - 01:50 AM

Cool looking taxidermy job on those.

"Exercise is a dirty word.  Every time I hear it, I wash my mouth out with chocolate" -Charles M. Schultz.

#6    Sundew

Sundew

Poltergeist

• 2,148 posts

• Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectos Nunc

Posted 14 August 2014 - 01:58 AM

What? No Fiji Mermaid?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users