Jump to content




Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.


- - - - -

Ancient artifacts that are 100% not hoaxes?


  • Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1    Argonaut

Argonaut

    Alien Embryo

  • Member
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
  • Joined:26 Apr 2014

Posted 12 August 2014 - 09:35 AM

I'm new to these forums, but I'm especially interested in Ancient mysteries/artifacts etc. There seems to be a lot of stories of hoaxes on here, it seems to go hand in hand with the whole field of ancient artifacts that don't fit into the general accepted view of history. But as I was reading some of the threads a question occurred to me which is this, what are the ancient artifacts which are 100% not fake? not hoaxes? which do not fit into the accepted narrative of history but at the same time known to be authentic?

www.strangetoday.com - Ghosts, UFO's, Beasts, Paranormal, Telepathy, Advanced tech news aggregator.

#2    seeder

seeder

    Nut Cracker

  • Member
  • 9,577 posts
  • Joined:21 Nov 2012
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:UK. There if you need me

  • Never forget that only the weak fish swim with the stream, and a lie travels half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes

Posted 12 August 2014 - 09:48 AM

View PostArgonaut, on 12 August 2014 - 09:35 AM, said:

I'm new to these forums, but I'm especially interested in Ancient mysteries/artifacts etc. There seems to be a lot of stories of hoaxes on here, it seems to go hand in hand with the whole field of ancient artifacts that don't fit into the general accepted view of history. But as I was reading some of the threads a question occurred to me which is this, what are the ancient artifacts which are 100% not fake? not hoaxes? which do not fit into the accepted narrative of history but at the same time known to be authentic?

The Antikythera machine is a good start
http://www.bbc.co.uk...er/live/bbcnews

Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored
It's not the depth of the rabbit hole that bugs me... It's all the rabbit poop you stumble over on your way down...
“It's easier to fool people - than to convince them that they have been fooled.”  Mark Twain

"The tragedy of life is not that it ends so soon, but that we wait so long to begin it"

#3    Noteverythingisaconspiracy

Noteverythingisaconspiracy

    Psychic Spy

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,255 posts
  • Joined:31 Dec 2013
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:A very small country north of Germany

  • "An open mind is like an open door, unless you're careful anything might get in." Sir Wearer of Hats

Posted 12 August 2014 - 09:50 AM

I guess the closest think would be the Antikythera mechanism. It is much more sophisticated than other instruments from that time, but there is no new and super advanced technology involved, just very good craftmanship and knowledge of astronomy.

http://en.wikipedia....hanism#Accuracy



EDIT: I guess great minds think alike seeder. :tu:

Edited by Noteverythingisaconspiracy, 12 August 2014 - 09:51 AM.

"People will generally accept fact as truth only if the fact agree with what they already believe"
Andy Rooney

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and im not sure about the former"
Albert Einstein

#4    bubblykiss

bubblykiss

    Last Among Equals

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,092 posts
  • Joined:06 Feb 2014
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:PHX, AZ

Posted 12 August 2014 - 09:55 AM

The Baghdad Battery comes to mind.

With a bit of research and critical thinking it is easy to identify items that warrant further research.

After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. I sure as hell wouldn't want to live in a society where the only people allowed guns are the police and the military.

William S. Burroughs

#5    keithisco

keithisco

    Majestic 12 Operative

  • Member
  • 5,826 posts
  • Joined:06 May 2007
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Rincon de Loix, Benidorm

Posted 12 August 2014 - 09:58 AM

The Iron Pillar of Delhi (link to wiki: http://en.wikipedia....pillar_of_Delhi ) was considered until relevantly recently, as an unexplained wonder because it showed no sign of rusting. It is certainly not a hoax but the inscriptions on it have never been subject to serious scrutiny (apart from one).

Some Ooparts seem to defy purpose, such as the Baghdad Battery, often presented as a source of electricity. (just spotted Bubblykiss' response - small minds seldom differ :whistle:

Edited by keithisco, 12 August 2014 - 09:59 AM.


#6    bubblykiss

bubblykiss

    Last Among Equals

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,092 posts
  • Joined:06 Feb 2014
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:PHX, AZ

Posted 12 August 2014 - 10:20 AM

The funny thing is I was considering the Iron Pillar of Delhi.....but opted out of going with her.

Mind you I am enthralled to false documents that present false history as reality.....so.....

Posted ImagePosted Image

After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. I sure as hell wouldn't want to live in a society where the only people allowed guns are the police and the military.

William S. Burroughs

#7    Argonaut

Argonaut

    Alien Embryo

  • Member
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
  • Joined:26 Apr 2014

Posted 12 August 2014 - 10:29 AM

Thanks for the replies so far. I'm of course aware of the Baghdad Battery, and the Antikythera machine (although I'd never heard of the Iron Pillar of Delhi before). What's interesting to me about the Antikythera machine is how it doesn't seem to have had much of an impact of what's assumed about history? Here you have a device which is clearly very advanced, basically the same level of technology that started to come into being in the 16th/17th centuries onwards, and yet it appears to be viewed as some kind of anomaly.

www.strangetoday.com - Ghosts, UFO's, Beasts, Paranormal, Telepathy, Advanced tech news aggregator.

#8    questionmark

questionmark

    Cinicus Magnus

  • Member
  • 35,303 posts
  • Joined:26 Jun 2007
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Greece and Des Moines, IA

  • In a flat world there is an explanation to everything.

Posted 12 August 2014 - 10:37 AM

View PostArgonaut, on 12 August 2014 - 10:29 AM, said:

Thanks for the replies so far. I'm of course aware of the Baghdad Battery, and the Antikythera machine (although I'd never heard of the Iron Pillar of Delhi before). What's interesting to me about the Antikythera machine is how it doesn't seem to have had much of an impact of what's assumed about history? Here you have a device which is clearly very advanced, basically the same level of technology that started to come into being in the 16th/17th centuries onwards, and yet it appears to be viewed as some kind of anomaly.

It most probably was not the only "advanced" Greek instrument. Another good example (and mostly ignored by both Greekophiles and fringies) is the Tower of the Winds in Athens that housed the first  precise clock known to humanity not dependent on the sun. One day somebody decided to sell it off as old metal... the tower is still there.

Edited by questionmark, 12 August 2014 - 11:03 AM.

A skeptic is a well informed believer and a pessimist a well informed optimist
The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#9    seeder

seeder

    Nut Cracker

  • Member
  • 9,577 posts
  • Joined:21 Nov 2012
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:UK. There if you need me

  • Never forget that only the weak fish swim with the stream, and a lie travels half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes

Posted 12 August 2014 - 10:38 AM

View PostArgonaut, on 12 August 2014 - 10:29 AM, said:

Thanks for the replies so far. I'm of course aware of the Baghdad Battery, and the Antikythera machine (although I'd never heard of the Iron Pillar of Delhi before). What's interesting to me about the Antikythera machine is how it doesn't seem to have had much of an impact of what's assumed about history? Here you have a device which is clearly very advanced, basically the same level of technology that started to come into being in the 16th/17th centuries onwards, and yet it appears to be viewed as some kind of anomaly.

id say it had a huge impact, being the worlds first ever 'computer'

Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored
It's not the depth of the rabbit hole that bugs me... It's all the rabbit poop you stumble over on your way down...
“It's easier to fool people - than to convince them that they have been fooled.”  Mark Twain

"The tragedy of life is not that it ends so soon, but that we wait so long to begin it"

#10    Argonaut

Argonaut

    Alien Embryo

  • Member
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
  • Joined:26 Apr 2014

Posted 12 August 2014 - 10:42 AM

View Postseeder, on 12 August 2014 - 10:38 AM, said:

id say it had a huge impact, being the worlds first ever 'computer'

Huge impact in what sense though? and to what community? Academia? Ancient mysteries investigators? Archaeologists? the public at large?

www.strangetoday.com - Ghosts, UFO's, Beasts, Paranormal, Telepathy, Advanced tech news aggregator.

#11    questionmark

questionmark

    Cinicus Magnus

  • Member
  • 35,303 posts
  • Joined:26 Jun 2007
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Greece and Des Moines, IA

  • In a flat world there is an explanation to everything.

Posted 12 August 2014 - 10:52 AM

View PostArgonaut, on 12 August 2014 - 10:42 AM, said:

Huge impact in what sense though? and to what community? Academia? Ancient mysteries investigators? Archaeologists? the public at large?

You cannot compare the ancient Greek society with 5-10% literacy (mostly among city dwellers)  with modern societies where the illiterate is more the exception. Impacts of natural sciences were on a small minority of the people around. For most the Antikythera mechanism would have been a helluva novel paperweight (if they actually had use for one).

On the other hand, as we have found only one so far and no mentions in literature, we can only fabulate what kind of uses the thingy might have had and how many of them existed.

A skeptic is a well informed believer and a pessimist a well informed optimist
The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#12    aquatus1

aquatus1

    Forum Divinity

  • 19,371 posts
  • Joined:05 Mar 2004
  • Gender:Not Selected

Posted 12 August 2014 - 10:52 AM

It had a big impact in the arena in which it is interesting.  To a lot of people, ancient Greek history isn't that interesting.


#13    seeder

seeder

    Nut Cracker

  • Member
  • 9,577 posts
  • Joined:21 Nov 2012
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:UK. There if you need me

  • Never forget that only the weak fish swim with the stream, and a lie travels half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes

Posted 12 August 2014 - 10:54 AM

View PostArgonaut, on 12 August 2014 - 10:42 AM, said:

Huge impact in what sense though? and to what community? Academia? Ancient mysteries investigators? Archaeologists? the public at large?

Was just about to say watch the short vid I posted, but realised I linked to the live news, not the article itself!

Quote from the vid "It upsets all our ideas about what the Greeks were capable of, it rewrites the history of technology"

correct link!
http://www.bbc.co.uk...onment-17989915

Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored
It's not the depth of the rabbit hole that bugs me... It's all the rabbit poop you stumble over on your way down...
“It's easier to fool people - than to convince them that they have been fooled.”  Mark Twain

"The tragedy of life is not that it ends so soon, but that we wait so long to begin it"

#14    Argonaut

Argonaut

    Alien Embryo

  • Member
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
  • Joined:26 Apr 2014

Posted 12 August 2014 - 11:14 AM

View Postquestionmark, on 12 August 2014 - 10:52 AM, said:

You cannot compare the ancient Greek society with 5-10% literacy (mostly among city dwellers)  with modern societies where the illiterate is more the exception. Impacts of natural sciences were on a small minority of the people around. For most the Antikythera mechanism would have been a helluva novel paperweight (if they actually had use for one).

On the other hand, as we have found only one so far and no mentions in literature, we can only fabulate what kind of uses the thingy might have had and how many of them existed.

But isn't that strange though? no mentions in literature of such a device? You would of thought it would of been lauded as a technical marvel of the age by whoever was in power at the time, if on the other hand it was created by an individual where did they get the knowledge to do that?

View Postaquatus1, on 12 August 2014 - 10:52 AM, said:

It had a big impact in the arena in which it is interesting.  To a lot of people, ancient Greek history isn't that interesting.

To me such a device goes beyond any defined area, to larger questions.

View Postseeder, on 12 August 2014 - 10:54 AM, said:

Was just about to say watch the short vid I posted, but realised I linked to the live news, not the article itself!

Quote from the vid "It upsets all our ideas about what the Greeks were capable of, it rewrites the history of technology"

correct link!
http://www.bbc.co.uk...onment-17989915

Thanks for the link! That's an interesting quote, to me the point is if that was possible 100 BC, why did it take so long for the technology to be "invented" again?

www.strangetoday.com - Ghosts, UFO's, Beasts, Paranormal, Telepathy, Advanced tech news aggregator.

#15    seeder

seeder

    Nut Cracker

  • Member
  • 9,577 posts
  • Joined:21 Nov 2012
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:UK. There if you need me

  • Never forget that only the weak fish swim with the stream, and a lie travels half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes

Posted 12 August 2014 - 11:23 AM

View PostArgonaut, on 12 August 2014 - 11:14 AM, said:



Thanks for the link! That's an interesting quote, to me the point is if that was possible 100 BC, why did it take so long for the technology to be "invented" again?

And thats one of the puzzles in this particular case...

Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored
It's not the depth of the rabbit hole that bugs me... It's all the rabbit poop you stumble over on your way down...
“It's easier to fool people - than to convince them that they have been fooled.”  Mark Twain

"The tragedy of life is not that it ends so soon, but that we wait so long to begin it"




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users