Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Why the Earth is Farting

methane;

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1    libstaK

libstaK

Nosce Te Ipsum

• 6,846 posts

• Hello Reality and all that is True
    When Oxymoron was defined it was just for you

Posted 12 August 2014 - 10:47 PM

I've always held Methane to be one of the most worrying issues in todays environment and global warming debates, here's a look at why:

From the article:

Every day, you have a close personal encounter with methane, a key ingredient of something we don't usually mention in polite company: farts.
Perhaps that's why methane is also called "natural gas." Unfortunately, neither propriety nor intestinal discipline can suppress its unpleasantness lately, because now not just us, but the Earth itself is farting.
Recently, three new craters, one of which measured approximately 100 feet wide and over 200 feet deep, were discovered in the Siberian permafrost. The explanation for them is even more alarming than asteroid strikes: Apparently, after two consecutive summers averaging 5 degrees Celsius hotter than normal, frozen methane is not merely thawing, it's exploding.

http://edition.cnn.c....html?hpt=hp_c4

"I warn you, whoever you are, oh you who wish to probe the arcanes of nature, if you do not find within yourself that which you seek, neither shall you find it outside.
If you ignore the excellencies of your own house, how do you intend to find other excellencies?
In you is hidden the treasure of treasures, Oh man, know thyself and you shall know the Universe and the Gods."

Inscription - Temple of Delphi

#2    Lilly

Lilly

Forum Divinity

• 16,322 posts

• "To thine own self be true" William Shakespeare

Posted 12 August 2014 - 10:50 PM

So now the Earth needs Beano!

"Ignorance is ignorance. It is a state of mind, not an opinion." ~MID~

"All that live must die, passing through nature into eternity" ~Shakespeare~ Posted Image

#3    StRoostifer

StRoostifer

Stoned Immaculate

• 2,459 posts

• " If I can't be my own, I'd feel better dead"

Posted 12 August 2014 - 11:34 PM

Any chance these blasts could be a result from decades of removing oil from the earth and the earth is heating up? I always looked at oil as a coolant for this planet. But I'm a car nerd so...

Posted Image

#4    lightly

lightly

metaphysical therapist

• 6,011 posts

• "The future ain't what it used to be"
    Yogi Berra

Posted 13 August 2014 - 12:34 AM

Living near many  many  gas wells .. i can't believe i never knew that 'natural gas'  is about 75%  Methane .   ...  but ya,  all of the methane being released from permafrosts  could be problematic , in contributing to Climate change   (global warming to those not afraid of using the term)

Important:  The above may contain errors, inaccuracies, omissions, and other limitations.

#5    OverSword

OverSword

Forum Divinity

• 13,290 posts

• When the power of love overcomes the love of power then humanity can evolve

Posted 13 August 2014 - 12:37 AM

There are theories about how large enough releases of methane from permafrost of sea ice could cause super storms that would last months at a time.

#6    Red Howler

Red Howler

Angry werewolf girl

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,688 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 06:22 AM

Everyone farts.

#7    Babe Ruth

Babe Ruth

Non-Corporeal Being

• 8,450 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 12:51 PM

View PostStRoostifer, on 12 August 2014 - 11:34 PM, said:

Any chance these blasts could be a result from decades of removing oil from the earth and the earth is heating up? I always looked at oil as a coolant for this planet. But I'm a car nerd so...

Last year or so I caught a piece on TV showing 2 or 3 Russians walking through part of a Siberian forest with a snow covered ground.  They would dig around through the snow and uncover some sort of small hole in the snow, one guy with a shovel and the other with a torch.  The torch was placed near the hole after some digging, and it would light off, holding a flame for seconds to minutes.

#8    StRoostifer

StRoostifer

Stoned Immaculate

• 2,459 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 01:11 PM

View PostBabe Ruth, on 13 August 2014 - 12:51 PM, said:

Last year or so I caught a piece on TV showing 2 or 3 Russians walking through part of a Siberian forest with a snow covered ground.  They would dig around through the snow and uncover some sort of small hole in the snow, one guy with a shovel and the other with a torch.  The torch was placed near the hole after some digging, and it would light off, holding a flame for seconds to minutes.

Sounds like they were burning the methane as it leaked out to prevent the methane from getting into the air and accumulating. This is what done at landfills to burn off the methane gas that garbage puts out as it decomposes.

Posted Image

#9    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 35,420 posts

• In a flat world there is an explanation to everything.

Posted 13 August 2014 - 01:21 PM

It ate at Taco Bell?

A skeptic is a well informed believer and a pessimist a well informed optimist
The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#10    BiffSplitkins

BiffSplitkins

Vertically Challenged

• 7,134 posts

• We all have a song inside us, it tells us who we are.

'John Doeber' fellow musician

Posted 13 August 2014 - 03:39 PM

View Postquestionmark, on 13 August 2014 - 01:21 PM, said:

It ate at Taco Bell?
The earth would be spewing much more than just gasses if that were the case. :w00t:

"The problem with internet quotes is that you cant always depend on their accuracy" -Abraham Lincoln, 1864

Posted Image

#11    libstaK

libstaK

Nosce Te Ipsum

• 6,846 posts

• Hello Reality and all that is True
    When Oxymoron was defined it was just for you

Posted 13 August 2014 - 04:19 PM

Ok so I kept the title CNN ran with both because it was amusing and that it drew attention to the article.  The second part is the most important, it's worth reading and treating seriously.

Honestly, there are only so many fart jokes before it starts to not be so funny anymore, I hope we can progress to some real discussion otherwise the thread may become pointless.

"I warn you, whoever you are, oh you who wish to probe the arcanes of nature, if you do not find within yourself that which you seek, neither shall you find it outside.
If you ignore the excellencies of your own house, how do you intend to find other excellencies?
In you is hidden the treasure of treasures, Oh man, know thyself and you shall know the Universe and the Gods."

Inscription - Temple of Delphi

#12    StRoostifer

StRoostifer

Stoned Immaculate

• 2,459 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 05:50 PM

OK, a 100 x200 ft hole is a big one. I do not doubt that there was an explosion outward as they found pieces of the ground flung out away from the hole. Such a hole would have a heck of an explosion. That said, one might think such a powerful explosion  would be picked up by seismometers somewhere wouldn't they? Anyone read anything elsewhere indicating seismometers picked up the blast?

Posted Image

#13    Ichihara

Ichihara

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 224 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 08:58 PM

why earth is farting? well because it produce methan from day one. sort of like we are.

#14    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 35,420 posts

• In a flat world there is an explanation to everything.

Posted 14 August 2014 - 09:16 PM

View PostStRoostifer, on 13 August 2014 - 05:50 PM, said:

OK, a 100 x200 ft hole is a big one. I do not doubt that there was an explosion outward as they found pieces of the ground flung out away from the hole. Such a hole would have a heck of an explosion. That said, one might think such a powerful explosion  would be picked up by seismometers somewhere wouldn't they? Anyone read anything elsewhere indicating seismometers picked up the blast?

A hole does not have to be caused by an explosion, it could have been a rather slow process of gas "bubbling" up the surface and then breaking it open... it would not even cause a loud rumbling.

A skeptic is a well informed believer and a pessimist a well informed optimist
The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#15    StRoostifer

StRoostifer

Stoned Immaculate

• 2,459 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 09:32 PM

View Postquestionmark, on 14 August 2014 - 09:16 PM, said:

A hole does not have to be caused by an explosion, it could have been a rather slow process of gas "bubbling" up the surface and then breaking it open... it would not even cause a loud rumbling.

That's a good point. I guess I was thinking it was more pressurized than it was but a slow process makes much more sense. Thank you sir. :tu:

Posted Image

Also tagged with methane;

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users