Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

St. Louis reaction to police shooting of teen

• Please log in to reply
120 replies to this topic

#1    We are lizard people

We are lizard people

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 261 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 03:27 AM

Small riot, looting.  seems like not only locals, but driven in part by twitter.

Sharpton arrives today.

anyone?

#2    Wickian

Wickian

Doppelganger

• 4,609 posts

• Save it for Queen Doppelpoppellus!

Posted 13 August 2014 - 03:32 AM

I've been following it.  Not much official information about the shooting to make a post about it though.

Some initial police reports claim there was a struggle in the back of the cop car over a gun, a shot was fired, then outside vehicle he killed the guy.  The friend who was with the guy who was killed claims the cops just pulled over and shot him for no reason.

The end result being 2 nights of rioting and looting in protest.

#3    bubblykiss

bubblykiss

Last Among Equals

• 4,288 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 03:42 AM

It would almost seem like poverty, hopelessness mixed with racial tensions are somehow counter intuitive to civil order.

Her singing always cheered him up. Life seemed so much brighter when she stopped.

T. Pratchett.

#4    and then

and then

Abyssus Abyssum Invocat

• 17,772 posts

• I count him braver who overcomes his desires than him who conquers his enemies for the hardest victory is over SELF.
    Aristotle

Posted 13 August 2014 - 03:42 AM

If the kid had no weapon then it sounds like a major over reaction by a cop.  Has any mention been made of the LEO's race?  The looting is just a bonus for the trash who would do it anyway, given an oppotunity but it makes the legitimate protests less effective imo.  Hope they get it sorted and no one else dies.

We've cast the world, we've set the stage,
  for what could be, the darkest age...
“This is like playing poker with a guy who cheated you twice before. You know who does that, a moron.

#5    OverSword

OverSword

Forum Divinity

• 17,159 posts

• I love chocolate

Posted 13 August 2014 - 03:59 AM

View Postand then, on 13 August 2014 - 03:42 AM, said:

Has any mention been made of the LEO's race?

Check this out:

Are blacks disproportionately targeted in Ferguson?

Blacks make up 65% of Ferguson's population, yet they accounted for 93% of arrests after traffic stops, 92% of searches and 80% of traffic stops in the city last year, according to a racial profiling report by the Missouri attorney general.

When stopped by police, blacks in Ferguson were twice as likely as whites to be arrested -- even though police found contraband for 34% of whites stopped, versus 22% of blacks -- said Scott Decker, a criminologist on a team contracted by the attorney general's office to compile the data.

Who are Ferguson’s police officers?

The Ferguson Police Department has 53 total commissioned officers, three of whom are black and two of whom are other minorities; the rest are white, the police chief told the Los Angeles Times. Three of the officers are women and 50 are men, he said.

The officer who shot Brown is a six-year veteran of the department and has been put on paid administrative leave, officials said.

#6    coolguy

coolguy

Poltergeist

• 2,396 posts

• Star trek rules

Posted 13 August 2014 - 04:29 AM

So sad that there doing this call in the national guard and lock them all up its just an excuse for them to do this there nuts

#7    Sir Wearer of Hats

Sir Wearer of Hats

SCIENCE!

• 15,205 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 04:59 AM

Nothing says "I am upset at the police" like looting.

I must not fear. Fear is the Mind-Killer. It is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and to move through me. And when it is gone I will turn the inner eye to see it's path.
When the fear is gone, there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

You may think you're cool, but you'll never be as cool as Peter Capaldi with an electric guitar, on a tank, playing the Doctor Who theme.

#8    qxcontinuum

qxcontinuum

Poltergeist

• 2,201 posts

• The age of stupid is upon us. Scientific conclusions are drawn from missing data, resuming to suppositions and guessing.

Posted 13 August 2014 - 05:16 AM

It happened in Canada too...
The training provided is at fault and to blame. While they are recruiting agents with low IQ without social or customer service skills, they are being trained to empty the bullet cartridge when shutting.

#9    Yamato

Yamato

Forum Divinity

• 15,248 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 05:26 AM

View PostOverSword, on 13 August 2014 - 03:59 AM, said:

Check this out:

Are blacks disproportionately targeted in Ferguson?
Blacks make up 65% of Ferguson's population, yet they accounted for 93% of arrests after traffic stops, 92% of searches and 80% of traffic stops in the city last year, according to a racial profiling report by the Missouri attorney general.
When stopped by police, blacks in Ferguson were twice as likely as whites to be arrested -- even though police found contraband for 34% of whites stopped, versus 22% of blacks -- said Scott Decker, a criminologist on a team contracted by the attorney general's office to compile the data.
Who are Ferguson’s police officers?
The Ferguson Police Department has 53 total commissioned officers, three of whom are black and two of whom are other minorities; the rest are white, the police chief told the Los Angeles Times. Three of the officers are women and 50 are men, he said.
The officer who shot Brown is a six-year veteran of the department and has been put on paid administrative leave, officials said.
Shouldn't cops target where crime, and especially violent crime, is occurring?   Where they get called out to the most often?   And they also have quotas they have to make every month, which very well may encourage them to patrol high crime areas without even being called out there.    So I think there's a powerful relationship between the demand for law enforcement and high crime areas.  

But if there's evidence of some malicious racial profiling campaign going on, the people of Ferguson can vote in a new Sheriff, presumably a black Sheriff who's going to make sure there isn't an underlying racism in the dept..   Problem solved.

I think torturing data to allow us to speculate on conspiracies like this is almost always a bad idea.  And I'm not even saying the numbers are wrong, they're just not remarkable.

"The power to declare war, including the power of judging the causes of war, is fully and exclusively vested in the Legislature.  The Executive has no right, in any case, to decide the question" ~ James Madison
"Peace cannot be achieved by force, only by understanding."  ~ Albert Einstein
"To deny people their human rights is to challenge their very humanity.   To impose on them a wretched life of hunger and deprivation is to dehumanize them." ~ Nelson Mandela
"I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians.  Your Christians are so unlike your Christ." ~ Mahatma Gandhi

#10    Marcus Aurelius

Marcus Aurelius

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,749 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 07:05 AM

Well guys, I'm not going to pretend I know the facts of this particular case. But I will say this: it is becoming increasingly common for police officers to gun down civilians who pose little to no threat. In some cases they even murder the wrong individual because they target the wrong house with one of their no knock raids. The sad reality of living in our modern day police state is that cops can seemingly murder "mundanes" like you and I with impunity. Think of it like this: the killer cop is currently suspended WITH pay. Doesn't that strike anybody as being just a bit messed up that one boy is dead and another man is still getting his checks in the mail? If any of US pulled that trigger...we would be sitting in a jail cell right now. How is that for 'justice?'

Really I can't blame those people for being upset because they know the justice system is rigged. What's happened in other cases like this is usually there's an "internal investigation" (i.e. the public doesn't know anything about it or even if one is actually taking place) and then they come back and rule that the officer "acted in full compliance of the law" and was "justified" in using lethal force. So much for justice.

Furthermore; these cops will DELIBERATELY lie and conspire together to invent a story to ensure that the officer doesn't suffer even the slightest penalty. They look out for each other...not you and I. It's that simple.

And in most cases the officer ends up back on the streets like nothing ever happened.

So I don't KNOW for sure what happened here, but if recent case studies are any indication, you can be sure that this is probably what happened.

Personally, I think it's good to see that people are waking up to the violence of this police state and the sham court system. We can sadly expect that there will be a lot more of this in the years to come if something isn't done to reign in these psychopaths with badges.

Posted Image

The Urban Contemplative

http://www.unexplain...log&blogid=2565

#11    seeder

seeder

Nut Cracker

• 14,164 posts

• Never forget that only the weak fish swim with the stream, and a lie travels half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes.

Posted 13 August 2014 - 07:16 AM

If youre mad at the cops, riot at the cop station... but because that doesn't happen.. and people just steal.. what does that say about actual sympathy for the dead boy?

It wasn’t the miners who got rich; it was the people selling picks and shovels. Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored
It's not the depth of the rabbit hole that bugs me... It's all the rabbit poop you stumble over on your way down...
“It's easier to fool people - than to convince them that they have been fooled.”  Mark Twain

"The tragedy of life is not that it ends so soon, but that we wait so long to begin it"

#12    Babe Ruth

Babe Ruth

Non-Corporeal Being

• Closed
  • 8,732 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 01:25 PM

View PostWe are lizard people, on 13 August 2014 - 03:27 AM, said:

Small riot, looting.  seems like not only locals, but driven in part by twitter.

Sharpton arrives today.

anyone?

Another innocent young black is taken down by a homicidal police officer.  That makes people angry, and it's not difficult to understand why.

#13    StRoostifer

StRoostifer

Roo

• 4,361 posts

• "Our houses are such unwieldy property that we are often imprisoned rather than housed in them."

Posted 13 August 2014 - 02:29 PM

A circle of idiocy. The young man never should have push the cop back into the cop car, he also should not have tried to enter the cop car, but these actions are not worth being shot and killed over. Then to riot and loot your very own neighborhoods is just the icing on the idiot cake. Idiocracy all the way around!

#14    supervike

supervike

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,216 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 02:36 PM

View Postseeder, on 13 August 2014 - 07:16 AM, said:

If youre mad at the cops, riot at the cop station... but because that doesn't happen.. and people just steal.. what does that say about actual sympathy for the dead boy?

I'm sure there are plenty of people protesting that want nothing to do with violence or crime.

BUT, unfortunatley, there is a thriving and very active part of this culture that believes they deserve something for nothing, and it is their right to take and destroy.

#15    OverSword

OverSword

Forum Divinity

• 17,159 posts

• I love chocolate

Posted 13 August 2014 - 05:26 PM

View PostYamato, on 13 August 2014 - 05:26 AM, said:

And I'm not even saying the numbers are wrong, they're just not remarkable.
I think the most telling thing about those numbers is the racial make-up of the police department.  Ferguson has a 65% black population and only five out of one hundred police are not white males??????  Where I live we ave a much higher percentage of white people than most of the rest of the country (I think) and yet just from a visual estimation I would guess that about 40% of the Seattle PD are black.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users