Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Protesting: What has it achieved?

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1    We are lizard people

We are lizard people

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 247 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 10:33 PM

Is there really a point to the protesting going on in MO at the moment?  What do they expect to achieve?  I've seen that the Black Panthers and the Communists have already joined in, but I can't in recent years remember any protest actually accomplishing anything.

Possibly with the exception of the peaceful tea-party protests that have spawned a new breed of conservatives which have been pretty successful in gaining the GOP's ear on some issues.

But the Occupy protests lingered on and on and achieved absolutely nothing.

I'm sure these protests in St Louis will change nothing...

Prove me wrong.

#2    Ashotep

Ashotep

Omnipotent Entity

• 9,669 posts

• Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway-John Wayne

Posted 14 August 2014 - 11:10 PM

Of course there is a point to it.  It will shed light on the problem of heavy handed cops picking on blacks or anyone.  It let everyone get a look at how militarized our cops have become.  If the violence continues though that is going to lessen any good their protests will do.

I don't see where the tea party accomplished anything.

#3    quiXilver

quiXilver

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,315 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 11:17 PM

posting on the internet... what will it achieve?

Unknowingly, we plow the dust of stars, blown about us by the wind and drink the universe in a glass of rain. ~ Ihab Hassan
You never change things by fighting the existing reality.  To change something, build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete. ~R. Buckminster Fuller
Just because you thought it, or felt it deeply, doesn't make it real, true or important.  Don't believe everything you think... ~ Creighton Larson
Everything you Love and Everything you Hate, come from the Same Source:  ~Creighton Larson

#4    Gromdor

Gromdor

Psychic Spy

• 2,043 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 01:06 AM

View PostWe are lizard people, on 14 August 2014 - 10:33 PM, said:

Is there really a point to the protesting going on in MO at the moment?  What do they expect to achieve?  I've seen that the Black Panthers and the Communists have already joined in, but I can't in recent years remember any protest actually accomplishing anything.

Possibly with the exception of the peaceful tea-party protests that have spawned a new breed of conservatives which have been pretty successful in gaining the GOP's ear on some issues.

But the Occupy protests lingered on and on and achieved absolutely nothing.

I'm sure these protests in St Louis will change nothing...

Prove me wrong.

The founding fathers thought that protesting was very important, hence the 1st amendment.  Protesting is the dialogue that initiates change.  Just because they are angry and can't articulate the message clearly, doesn't mean there isn't a clear message.

On a more somber note, you do realize that protesting usually happens before violent revolution if the message is ignored?

#5    Collateral Damage

Collateral Damage

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 260 posts

• "Those who stand for nothing fall for anything."

Posted 15 August 2014 - 01:57 AM

While I'm not here to prove anyone wrong, all protests latch on to a point, whether one agrees with it or not. Also, no one should consider the people that are responsible for looting and or property damage a part of the protest; they are merely opportunists.

Undated letter by President J.F.K. said:

"War will exist until that distant day when the conscientious objector enjoys the same reputation and prestige that the warrior does today."

"The nation which forgets its defenders will be itself forgotten."

#6    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 39,191 posts

• In a flat world there is an explanation to everything.

Posted 15 August 2014 - 09:45 AM

If it gains nothing but making a problem notorious it has achieved something.

But for that you just need to protest, not riot.

A skeptic is a well informed believer and a pessimist a well informed optimist
The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#7    Neognosis

Neognosis

Telekinetic

• 7,159 posts

• Just try not to hurt anybody, ok?

Posted 15 August 2014 - 12:13 PM

I'm against protesting.

I'm just not sure how to show it.

#8    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 39,191 posts

• In a flat world there is an explanation to everything.

Posted 15 August 2014 - 12:25 PM

View PostNeognosis, on 15 August 2014 - 12:13 PM, said:

I'm against protesting.

I'm just not sure how to show it.

good one!

A skeptic is a well informed believer and a pessimist a well informed optimist
The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#9    supervike

supervike

Majestic 12 Operative

• 5,992 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 12:53 PM

I think if protesting increases the awareness of an issue, even by just one person, it's effective.

#10    Sweetpumper

Sweetpumper

Heatseeker

• 11,518 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 02:19 PM

View PostquiXilver, on 14 August 2014 - 11:17 PM, said:

posting on the internet... what will it achieve?

Nothing. Although, for some it seems to be their life.

"At it's most basic level, science is supposed to represent the investigation of the unexplained, not the explanation of the uninvestigated." - Hunt for the Skinwalker

"The ultimate irony of the Disclosure movement is that it deeply distrusts officialdom, while simultaneously looking to officialdom for the truth." - Robbie Graham Silver Screen Saucers

#11    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 23,243 posts

• Hey, I'm not wrong. I'm just not completely right.

Posted 16 August 2014 - 06:06 AM

I think the protesting will bring to light favoritism of police in the courts.

And the rioting will bring TVs, expensive shoes, and other consumer goods into the hands of looters.

Here at Intel we make processors on 12 inch wafers. And, the individual processors on the wafers are called die. And, I am employed to check these die. That is why I am the DieChecker.

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Qualifications? This is cryptozoology, dammit! All that is required is the spirit of adventure. - Night Walker

#12    Phobes

Phobes

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 71 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 08:39 PM

The only thing that the current protests will achieve is to perpetuate racial tensions.  Every one of these protesters has already made up their mind that the police officer shot an unarmed black man for no reason.  The fact is, no one knows what really happened.  The possibility that Brown had just stolen from a store and that he may have reached for the officer's weapon during a scuffle are irrelevant.  To them, white cop shoots black man = injustice.

#13    quiXilver

quiXilver

Psychic Spy

• 1,315 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 08:55 PM

reality tunnels determine perception which engenders what you believe about any and every topic and the defining principles of this were set in place by someone other than you.  (culture, family)

this side

that side

right, wrong are both completely dependent upon value judgements formed in the first 7 or so years of life, by the influx of information from the conditions of your environment.

we then regurgitate responses in reaction to events with strong opinion where in most cases the one expressing the strong opinions has no actual experience in relation to what is being discussed, it's knee jerk reaction based on preformed ideas... it's just human nature.

Unknowingly, we plow the dust of stars, blown about us by the wind and drink the universe in a glass of rain. ~ Ihab Hassan
You never change things by fighting the existing reality.  To change something, build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete. ~R. Buckminster Fuller
Just because you thought it, or felt it deeply, doesn't make it real, true or important.  Don't believe everything you think... ~ Creighton Larson
Everything you Love and Everything you Hate, come from the Same Source:  ~Creighton Larson

#14    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 23,243 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 09:49 PM

http://www.ksbw.com/...7577754#!bFQlnK

According to the account on KTFK, phoned in by a woman who identified herself as "Josie," the altercation began after Officer Darren Wilson rolled down his window to tell Brown and a friend to stop walking in the street.

When Wilson tried to get out of his cruiser, Brown first tried to push the officer back into the car, then punched him in the face and grabbed for his gun before breaking free after the gun went off once, the caller said.

Wilson pursued Brown and his friend, ordering them to freeze, according to the account. When they turned around, Brown began taunting Wilson, saying he would not arrest them, then ran at the officer at full speed, the caller said.

Wilson then began shooting. The final shot was to Brown's forehead, and the teenager fell two or three feet in front of Wilson, said the caller, who identified herself as the officer's friend.

A source with detailed knowledge of the investigation later told CNN the caller's account is "accurate," in that it matches what Wilson has told investigators.

If true, the account represents the first telling of events from the perspective of Wilson, whose shooting of Brown has touched off nightly protests and violence in the suburban St. Louis city.

So it started because these young men (not boys) were walking in the street, not on the sidewalk.

And the shots supposedly were fired after Brown turned around.

"Given these deliberate, coordinated and intensifying violent attacks on lives and property in Ferguson, I am directing the highly capable men and women of the Missouri National Guard ... in restoring peace and order to this community," Gov. Jay Nixon said in a statement.

The family autopsy found that Brown was shot at least six times, including two shots to his head. Three of the bullets may have re-entered his body, causing additional damage, Baden said.

One wound to his arm was consistent with a witness statement that Brown was walking away and appeared to jerk, as if shot, Parcells said. The wounds to his arm could have also have occurred while he had his hands up, possibly in a defensive posture, Parcells said.

One of the bullets entered his head and came out through his eye; another -- likely the fatal wound, Baden said -- struck Brown on the top of his head and caused irreparable damage to his brain.

Family attorney Benjamin Crump said Brown probably would have been either kneeling or bending forward when he was struck with those bullets.

You can also get shot in the top of the head if you are charging with your head down. But I will admit that being shot kneeling would be more likely to make such a wound.

Is there any report on how Fast the bullets were fired? I mean, if someone is charging at me, I can fire off six rounds in like three seconds Maybe even two seconds.

Edited by DieChecker, 18 August 2014 - 09:58 PM.

Here at Intel we make processors on 12 inch wafers. And, the individual processors on the wafers are called die. And, I am employed to check these die. That is why I am the DieChecker.

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Qualifications? This is cryptozoology, dammit! All that is required is the spirit of adventure. - Night Walker

#15    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 23,243 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 10:03 PM

Probably doesn't matter, but.....

In addition, Brown had marijuana in his system when he was shot and killed by a police officer on Aug. 9 in Ferguson, according to this person, who spoke on the condition of anonymity because of the ongoing investigation.
http://www.washingto...-in-his-system/

Residents and protesters have noted that allegations of marijuana use have been used in the past by some in an attempt to disparage the character of shooting victims, including in the Trayvon Martin case.

Crump said he didn’t know anything about marijuana being found in Brown’s body.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users