Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Iceberg aircraft carrier proposed during WWII

UM-Bot

Eccentric inventor Geoffrey Pyke came up with a number of unorthodox weapon concepts during the war.

At the height of World War II, Geoffrey Pyke was tasked with concocting new and innovative weapons and technologies that could help Britain to win the war against the Germans.

Read More: http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/news/270945/iceberg-aircraft-carrier-proposed-during-wwii

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• UM-Bot

• Shiloh17

• StarMountainKid

• SD455GTO

A Pykrete ship sounds like one hell of an undertaking, but with iron in such short supply i suppose every possible alternative had to be considered.

I read that Churchill wanted to order 6 of them but they proved to difficult to produce in reality. I think a smaller test ship construction was started but never completed.

It was quite well thought out. They were going to run refrigeration tubes throughout so they could also operate in hotter climates.

Whacky idea with a touch of genius. Shame none were ever built.

Edited by skookum

At first it sounds ridiculous then you think about it, and the observation of how much shell fire the Iceberg could take etc, and even though I can't believe i'm saying it, but it isn't a totally crazy idea. It just shows that in every moment of lunacy there may be a little sanity lol....granted how the hell you would deal with deploying the mighty HMS ICEBERG to where it is needed in the world is another matter...I am guessing Mediterranean operations are a non no lol

Somwhat common knowledge to those who study WW2, and not even the weirdest thing to come out of the war! During the invasion of Normandy the Allies staged a diversionary "invasion" of the Pont de Calles with fake radio traffic and inflatable tanks!

I think it's news for people who don't know about it. I read about this stuff a few years ago, and I still find it fascinating.

They'd built and tested a 60 foot craft here in Alberta at Patricia Lake, not too far from Jasper. Little came of it obviously, but what an idea.

In fact I now see there's a suprisingly comprehensive info page regarding "Project Habbakuk" and Patricia Lake on Wikipedia (no...really!) :-*

Edited by SD455GTO