Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Mother arrested for swearing @ her children

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#1    OverSword

OverSword

Forum Divinity

• 13,909 posts

• I love chocolate

Posted 15 August 2014 - 07:56 PM

What's your opinion on this?  I almost hate to say I kind of like it.

From the article:

A mother of two in South Carolina has been cuffed, hauled off to jail and charged with disorderly conduct after she allegedly yelled at her kids to 'stop squishing the ****ing bread' at a grocery store.
Danielle Wolfe, 22, was arrested under a city ordinance in North Augusta, South Carolina, that makes it a crime, punishable by up to 30 days in jail, to 'utter, while in a state of anger, in the presence of another, any bawdy, lewd or obscene words or epithets.'

Read the rest here

#2    aztek

aztek

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,461 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 07:56 PM

she is lucky she did not get shot.

RESIDENT TROLL.

#3    Sweetpumper

Sweetpumper

Heatseeker

• 10,649 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 07:58 PM

View Postaztek, on 15 August 2014 - 07:56 PM, said:

she is lucky she did not get shot.

And isn't black.

"At it's most basic level, science is supposed to represent the investigation of the unexplained, not the explanation of the uninvestigated." - Hunt for the Skinwalker

"The ultimate irony of the Disclosure movement is that it deeply distrusts officialdom, while simultaneously looking to officialdom for the truth." - Robbie Graham Silver Screen Saucers

#4    Taun

Taun

A dashing moose about town...

• 6,025 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 08:22 PM

I don't like that this woman was arrested in front of her kids - I actually think a fine or warning would have been better - but like Oversword said... I kinda like that she was confronted about this...

I sometimes much prefer how it use to be when vulgar language in public was actually frowned upon... Today it seems like every third word starts with an "F"...
My father always said: "Profanity is the effort of a weak mind to express itself forcefully"

#5    EnderOTD

EnderOTD

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 579 posts

• I tried to enter my favorite quote but the data limit was breached so you get this. Pretty anti-climatic isn't it?

Posted 15 August 2014 - 08:27 PM

Just...wow.  Getting arrested for dropping an f-bomb in public is punishable by jail time?  How pc is our culture becoming if you can't vent some anger and frustration via the sailors vernacular.  I could understand asking her to leave the store or trying to exercise a modest amount of self control in respect for other customers but this is overkill and a waste of tax dollars and police officers time.

#6    Big Jim

Big Jim

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 264 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 08:39 PM

This is similar to an incident several years ago where a guy in Michigan was arrested, and I believe sent to jail, for cussing after his canoe tipped over.  While I'm no prude I do find the constant use of vulgarity in public to be an irritation.  But we don't have enough jails to apply this solution fairly.  I suppose now her children will be with Child Protective Services.  Overkill all around when a simple "watch your language, please" might have sufficed.  WTF is the world coming to?

#7    Princess Serenity

Princess Serenity

❝ Avatar K O R R A ❞

• 8,464 posts

• "There's nothing to fear but fear itself." Franklin D Roosevelt.

Posted 15 August 2014 - 08:50 PM

I grew up with my parents cussing and I didn't think much of it. But they hardly cussed around little kids and that's how I learned doing that was wrong but my two older sisters do it around my two nephews. I mean seriously?

#8    Sundew

Sundew

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,915 posts

• Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectos Nunc

Posted 15 August 2014 - 09:06 PM

View PostEnderOTD, on 15 August 2014 - 08:27 PM, said:

Just...wow.  Getting arrested for dropping an f-bomb in public is punishable by jail time?  How pc is our culture becoming if you can't vent some anger and frustration via the sailors vernacular.  I could understand asking her to leave the store or trying to exercise a modest amount of self control in respect for other customers but this is overkill and a waste of tax dollars and police officers time.

On the other hand, when I take my wife out to a movie, besides the unnecessary profanity on the screen, there is usually a few "f-bombs" and other "colorful" language dropped by the young adults in line. I don't use this kind of language, neither does anyone in my family and very few of my friends (and NOT in public). Why should we have to put up with the crudeness of others just because it's a public place? Must our society continue to be more and more crude? I think most people would prefer a more civil society, but nowadays I wouldn't bet on it.

Jail time for this is ridiculous, but I wouldn't be opposed to a $50 dollar fine or so, enough so the offender has a bit of pain in the wallet and might think twice about profanity in public.

#9    Realm

Realm

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,123 posts

• "The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination."
    Albert Einstein

Posted 15 August 2014 - 09:12 PM

It's becoming too commonplace to hear profanity uttered. If people want to swear, do it at home. Not in public.

Those that mistake my meekness for weakness, suddenly find themselves destroyed.

#10    Sir Wearer of Hats

Sir Wearer of Hats

SCIENCE!

• 11,431 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 09:24 PM

This reeks of what Aussie police call "an attitude adjuster", someone with a shockingly poor attitude towards police/shop assistants/whoever cops the most banal fine they can come up with just to say "pull your damn head in", it's usually directed at cocky teenagers with their first cars - more attitude and engines then brains - and usually ends up being "defective vehicle" notices.
Yes, it's petty, but if you're a shop assistant and you've copped the sort of abuse that someone thinks calling the coppers over is a valid move then ANYTHING that gets rid of the abusive customer is a good thing.

I must not fear. Fear is the Mind-Killer. It is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and to move through me. And when it is gone I will turn the inner eye to see it's path.
When the fear is gone, there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.

#11    amaterasu

amaterasu

Government Agent

• 3,627 posts

• "Recedite, plebes! Gero rem imperialem!"

Posted 15 August 2014 - 09:30 PM

I think her proposed punishment is a wee bit harsh, a warning probably would have done the trick.

Movies are full of profanity ...apparently in the movie The Wolf Of Wall Street the word **** was used 569 times in 180 minutes ...that's 3.16 times every minute of film - I am so glad I didn't bother going to see that movie.

I swear quite a lot but I am very good at disguising it :D

* Group logo removed, please see rule 3i *

#12    OverSword

OverSword

Forum Divinity

• 13,909 posts

• I love chocolate

Posted 15 August 2014 - 09:31 PM

I was having lunch in a low class McDonalds one day when some loud guy at another table starts on a rant and f-bombs amongst other choice words were flying.  A guy at another table asks the guy to please watch his language, so dude get up and runs over to the guys table and starts yelling at him, "who the F are you to Fing tell me to watch my Fing language!?!?!?!?!?"  And the guy calmly replies "I'm the man sitting here with his 8 year old grandson politely asking you to please watch your language"  Dude slunk away after that.  Both these guys were probably in their 60's.

#13    Collateral Damage

Collateral Damage

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 255 posts

• "Anti-Americanism is a pure totalitarian concept. The very notion is idiotic."

Posted 15 August 2014 - 09:35 PM

Absolutely ridiculous... How is arresting a mother in front of her children any better than simply saying a fowl word? I'm sure that the heat of the moment impacted the kid(s) in a far more negative way than her language did.

Undated letter from J.F.K. said:

"War will exist until that distant day when the conscientious objector enjoys the same reputation and prestige that the warrior does today."

"The nation which forgets its defenders will be itself forgotten."

#14    amaterasu

amaterasu

Government Agent

• 3,627 posts

• "Recedite, plebes! Gero rem imperialem!"

Posted 15 August 2014 - 09:46 PM

View PostOverSword, on 15 August 2014 - 09:31 PM, said:

I was having lunch in a low class McDonalds one day when some loud guy at another table starts on a rant and f-bombs amongst other choice words were flying.  A guy at another table asks the guy to please watch his language, so dude get up and runs over to the guys table and starts yelling at him, "who the F are you to Fing tell me to watch my Fing language!?!?!?!?!?"  And the guy calmly replies "I'm the man sitting here with his 8 year old grandson politely asking you to please watch your language"  Dude slunk away after that.  Both these guys were probably in their 60's.

Is there a high class McDonalds? I want to go there...do they serve wine and have linen napkins? Oh how I would love a McChicken burger served on a dinner plate with the sandwich sauce and lettuce on the side ....and the bun served separately at a jaunty angle on the plate ...*sigh*

* Group logo removed, please see rule 3i *

#15    Lilly

Lilly

Forum Divinity

• 16,820 posts

• "To thine own self be true" William Shakespeare

Posted 15 August 2014 - 09:54 PM

My personal advice:

1) Don't swear in public (it just makes you look rude and ignorant).

2) Don't eat McD's in public or private (it just makes you fat and unhealthy).

"Ignorance is ignorance. It is a state of mind, not an opinion." ~MID~

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users