Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Body Camera's for all cops.

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1    supervike

supervike

Majestic 12 Operative

• 5,549 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 08:37 PM

I read an article on how Modesto CA employed body camera's for their officers.

The article (sorry can't find the link) claims that police brutality or cop misbehavior reports have dramatically dropped.

I think Police officers have a tough job.  They often deal solely with the worst our society has to offer.

I'm surprised, with the negligible cost of cameras now-a-days, that all Departments don't require them as a liability deterant.

More transparency in our peace keepers would keep everyone honest.

What say you?

#2    CuriousRey

CuriousRey

Jedi Master

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,099 posts

• "Do or do not, there is no try." -Yoda

Posted 15 August 2014 - 08:48 PM

I think that's a damned good idea, while cops do have an incredibly difficult profession and deal with some terribly unruly and violent individuals I would also say that cops will take their frustrations out on the wrong individuals sometimes. I saw a video the other day of some huge guy getting choked to death by a cop and it was really disturbing, anyways yeah great idea and good to see that it is garnishing positive results.

#3    aztek

aztek

Telekinetic

• 7,409 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 08:52 PM

View PostCuriousRey, on 15 August 2014 - 08:48 PM, said:

I saw a video the other day of some huge guy getting choked to death by a cop and it was really disturbing, anyways yeah great idea and good to see that it is garnishing positive results.

the thing is they knew they were videotaped, and still did it, i think we need a lot harsher punishments for cops, not cameras. they can always find a way to cover cameras.  they do not care what happens after the fact, even when they know they are going overboard, because almost always nothing happens, and they walk away from it with no reprocusions

Edited by aztek, 15 August 2014 - 08:54 PM.

RESIDENT TROLL.

#4    Mantis914

Mantis914

Psychic Spy

• 1,244 posts

• You have shown me a strange image, and they are strange prisoners. Plato

Posted 15 August 2014 - 08:52 PM

I say we plant them on politicians also...

#5    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 36,988 posts

• In a flat world there is an explanation to everything.

Posted 15 August 2014 - 08:56 PM

View PostMantis914, on 15 August 2014 - 08:52 PM, said:

I say we plant them on politicians also...

+1

A skeptic is a well informed believer and a pessimist a well informed optimist
The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#6    and then

and then

Abyssus Abyssum Invocat

• 15,766 posts

• Because what came before never seems enough...

Posted 15 August 2014 - 09:01 PM

It seems great at first glance but can you imagine having everything you say or do recorded for 8 or 12 hours each day?  Think about that.  EVERYTHING.  I think it would cause cops to resent it so much they might leave the profession.  If such rules were put into effect then there would have to be protection of the officer's rights also.  NOTHING could be casually required of them.  Only recordings of specific time periods in a case could be subpoenaed.  In THAT case then I think it would help to solve most of these kinds of incidents.

We've cast the world, we've set the stage,
  for what could be, the darkest age...
“This is like playing poker with a guy who cheated you twice before. You know who does that, a moron.

#7    Wickian

Wickian

Doppelganger

• 4,205 posts

• Save it for Queen Doppelpoppellus!

Posted 15 August 2014 - 09:11 PM

I'm on the fence with cop cameras.  Making them optional might be a good way to go about it though.  The genuinely good cops will probably wear them to prevent false claims, and the genuinely bad ones will probably not wear them and thus have no supporting evidence.

#8    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 36,988 posts

• In a flat world there is an explanation to everything.

Posted 15 August 2014 - 09:12 PM

View Postand then, on 15 August 2014 - 09:01 PM, said:

It seems great at first glance but can you imagine having everything you say or do recorded for 8 or 12 hours each day?  Think about that.  EVERYTHING.  I think it would cause cops to resent it so much they might leave the profession.  If such rules were put into effect then there would have to be protection of the officer's rights also.  NOTHING could be casually required of them.  Only recordings of specific time periods in a case could be subpoenaed.  In THAT case then I think it would help to solve most of these kinds of incidents.

Well, that is the idea. Where and when the cop eats his doughnuts is quite irrelevant.

A skeptic is a well informed believer and a pessimist a well informed optimist
The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#9    Sir Wearer of Hats

Sir Wearer of Hats

SCIENCE!

• 13,040 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 09:17 PM

"When you are on patrol, when you put on your anti-stab/bullet proof vest you put on your camera as well".
So when they go to the bog, or are in the station picking their noses there's no cameras recording them, but when they're in the field and likely to get accused of something (or actually DO something) there's evidence.

Mind you, the American Tax Office "lost" emails, so video recordings of officers beating the tar out of someone will just as easily "be lost".

I must not fear. Fear is the Mind-Killer. It is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and to move through me. And when it is gone I will turn the inner eye to see it's path.
When the fear is gone, there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.

#10    BrooklynGuy

BrooklynGuy

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 909 posts

• Just For Today

Posted 15 August 2014 - 09:22 PM

http://www.miamihera...-for-miami.html

The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why. – Mark Twain

#11    Euphorbia

Euphorbia

Odd Plant Grower

• 1,277 posts

• You can't just choose to believe something.

Believing in something doesn't make it true.

Posted 15 August 2014 - 09:25 PM

View Postsupervike, on 15 August 2014 - 08:37 PM, said:

I read an article on how Modesto CA employed body camera's for their officers.

The article (sorry can't find the link) claims that police brutality or cop misbehavior reports have dramatically dropped.

I think Police officers have a tough job.  They often deal solely with the worst our society has to offer.

I'm surprised, with the negligible cost of cameras now-a-days, that all Departments don't require them as a liability deterant.

More transparency in our peace keepers would keep everyone honest.

What say you?

This is my home town...

Get three coffins ready.

My mistake, four coffins.

Separation of corporation and state!

#12    BuzzLightYear

BuzzLightYear

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 38 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 10:07 PM

Unfortunately you'll still have cases where police are accused of misconduct and the body camera just like the dash cam will be inoperable at the time.

#13    Jeremiah65

Jeremiah65

Seeker of knowledge

• 2,078 posts

• "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." Aristotle

Posted 16 August 2014 - 02:32 PM

It's a step in the right direction.

It would provide solid evidence for or against any claims against the L.E.O.

In my humble opinion, the Police are supposed to be held to a higher standard than just your average "Joe" on the street.  They are supposed to protect and serve and be an example.  If they have a problem with being monitored all the time in carrying out a very important social duty...maybe they need a new line of work.

Yes, they are humans and will undoubtedly make mistakes and perhaps say and do things they should not...but the knowldge it is all being archived might make it less likely.

As far as making some leave or choose not to become L.E.O's....fine.  I'd be more suspicious of those that "doth protest too much"...

"Liberty means responsibility.  That is why most men dread it."  George Bernard Shaw
"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it."  Thomas Jefferson

Posted Image

#14    Shiloh17

Shiloh17

The Last.

• 2,340 posts

• "Eve's eve, a new beginning."

Posted 16 August 2014 - 04:26 PM

Some Police officers make bad mistakes in times duress. I saw one video where an Officer chased a suspect for a mile or so out through fields woods etc.. He finally caught the guy, hand cuffed him, then shot him twice ( he lived) The Officer claimed he fought with him upon arrest (he didn't) The news helicopter from a mile away filmed the whole thing with a long range camera. The officer was purely frustrated with the guy and shot him.

Youtube is full of videos like this. A camera the Police never knew was on them catches them.

#15    Gromdor

Gromdor

Psychic Spy

• 1,834 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 04:48 PM

View PostRealm, on 16 August 2014 - 04:26 PM, said:

Some Police officers make bad mistakes in times duress. I saw one video where an Officer chased a suspect for a mile or so out through fields woods etc.. He finally caught the guy, hand cuffed him, then shot him twice ( he lived) The Officer claimed he fought with him upon arrest (he didn't) The news helicopter from a mile away filmed the whole thing with a long range camera. The officer was purely frustrated with the guy and shot him.

Youtube is full of videos like this. A camera the Police never knew was on them catches them.
That is not a bad mistake.  That is a decision to try and murder someone.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users