Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Researchers clear magpies of theft

Still Waters

One might bring sorrow, two might bring joy, but Exeter researchers have found that magpies don't steal shiny trinkets.

Turning the old folklore story on its head, they found the black and white birds are actually scared of bright stuff.

http://www.exeterexp...tail/story.html

Or the magpies are smarter than the researchers and didn't play the game...

Why the hell would they try a feed trial?

They are not consuming the jewellery/shiny things as food, it is either a qwerk of kleptomaniac and/or nest building tactics through habbits grown over generations that wire and things similar (shiny) are good nest building tools, as the birds themselves are strong enough to minipulate them to shape.

If someone put a hammer in one corner of the room and a buffet table in the other corner, most animals including our species would choose the buffet.

• Like 2

scientists.

conducting pointless research since the formation of the first grant commitee.....

This is the worst possible test they could have done... Oh Gods... *facepalm x2*

maybe they could explain their theories to the annoying magpies in my yard. I used an aluminum plate weighted with stones and filled it with water and put it in the birdbath as the birdbath leaked. they took the rocks and flew with them across the street then they came back and took the plate!Scavengers!!

As a kid my toy jewels and beads disappeared from when I was playing with them in the back garden. There wasn't any magpies. I later found them under some holly bushes at the very back end, where grass snakes lived and I couldn't get them back. I doubt birds put them in there.