Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Vikings on the Mississippi?

vikings vikings on mississippi

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1    Lemieux

Lemieux

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 346 posts

• I got the Rock part no problems, but still working on the Roll... Once I figure it out, I will call it a wheel.
    - Freddie

Posted 16 August 2014 - 12:25 PM

"A group of volunteers cleaning up the shores of the Mississippi River near the biggest city in Tennessee, have stumbled across the remains of an ancient boat encrusted in mud. A team of acheologists from the University Of Tennessee that was rapidly called to the site, confirmed that the ship was most certainly a Viking knarr..."

http://worldnewsdail...ssissipi-river/

#2    Harte

Harte

Supremely Educated Knower of Everything in Existence. He whose k

• 11,480 posts

• Skeptic

Posted 16 August 2014 - 01:05 PM

You are not advancing the cause by posting satire from World News Daily, you know.

You only encourage the ignorant with this.

Harte

PS - I'm in Memphis.

Posted Image
See the new Harte Mark III
And the Mayan panoramas on my pyramid pajamas haven't helped my little problem. - The Alan Parsons Project
Most people would die sooner than think; in fact, they do so. - Bertrand Russell
Anybody like Coleridge?

#3    Rafterman

Rafterman

Telekinetic

• 7,409 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 01:17 PM

Consider the source.

"For me, it is better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring."
                                                                                                                                           - Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World:  Science as a Candle in the Dark

#4    Lemieux

Lemieux

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 346 posts

• I got the Rock part no problems, but still working on the Roll... Once I figure it out, I will call it a wheel.
    - Freddie

Posted 16 August 2014 - 01:52 PM

And correct you both are...

World News Daily Report has a disclaimer saying it doesn’t publish real news stories and shouldn’t be taken seriously.

http://www.theepocht...nessee-is-fake/

That's just stupid ... Making a serious looking site, even titled "World News Daily Report" but it's nothing but admitted lies.

Allowed in the name of freedom I guess.  Damn!

#5    Harte

Harte

Supremely Educated Knower of Everything in Existence. He whose k

• 11,480 posts

• Skeptic

Posted 16 August 2014 - 03:44 PM

Don't worry.

There are still serious news sites you can use.

Try The Onion! LOL

Harte

Posted Image
See the new Harte Mark III
And the Mayan panoramas on my pyramid pajamas haven't helped my little problem. - The Alan Parsons Project
Most people would die sooner than think; in fact, they do so. - Bertrand Russell
Anybody like Coleridge?

#6    Irna

Irna

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 139 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 06:03 PM

The actual Viking boat shown on the photograph is from Roskilde in Denmark: http://www.archeurop...page=roskilde-6

#7    The_Spartan

The_Spartan

Spartan Forever!!!!

• 3,779 posts

• Gravity is Arbitrary!!

Posted 16 August 2014 - 08:19 PM

are people actually taking the stuff on World News Daily as real fact????????

"Wise men, when in doubt whether to speak or to keep quiet, give themselves the benefit of the doubt, and remain silent.-Napoleon Hill

Follow my stupid posts on Tumblr at Azrael's Ramblings

#8    Bennu

Bennu

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 273 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 08:41 PM

Good thing you put a question mark after the title of this thread. You gotta watch out for those fake news sites.

#9    Gingitsune

Gingitsune

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 470 posts

Posted 17 August 2014 - 03:47 AM

Let's try to salvage the topic...

Did Vikings made it to Mississippi?

First, a map of Vikings progression in Europe and North Atlantic:
Posted Image

in green, frequently raided areas with little to no settliement
in deep red, 8th century settlements
in bright red, 9th century settlements
in orange, 10th century settlements
in kaki, 11th century settlements

As we see, Northern Mississippi is about the same latitude as Northern Morocco, so no problem here. Temperature wise, North America's East coast down to Florida is colder than Africa at the same lattitude, but this fit the Vinkings' tastes better. We also see that they stay close to the ocean, unless we are talking about islands or penisulas. The only exception being the Rus' States were Vikings had strong support from the local population.

Below, a map of the route Vikings used to reach strategic place in Europe and Asia:
Posted Image

As we see, they used the river system to reach body of water across the continent, up to the Caspian Sea. The Mississippi River is a likely place to find Viking evidence, along with the East Coast.

It get's a bit tricky when we look at the numbers from Greenland. It seems at its peek, the settlement had between 2,000 and 10,000 inhabitants, the lower number being more probable, (maybe 4,000 to 5,000 realistically). They could hardly make a second Greenland, let alone a second Iceland worth of settlers. Also, they had only between 1000 to 1300 to do anything, past that Greenland is declining and the Little Ice Age coming slowly. So a few hundred of explorers/settlers is as much as they could afford at any time. If there were settlements in North America outside L'Anse-aux-Meadows, they must have been few and far between.

It also seems to be commercial outposts in Northern Canada, maybe up to half a dozen. They traded for walrus tusks and polar bear hides to cover Greenland expenses. Maybe there's something like that around Mississippi as well.

#10    kmt_sesh

kmt_sesh

Omnipotent Entity

• 9,303 posts

Posted 17 August 2014 - 04:14 AM

View PostIrna, on 16 August 2014 - 06:03 PM, said:

The actual Viking boat shown on the photograph is from Roskilde in Denmark: http://www.archeurop...page=roskilde-6

Excellent sleuthing, Irna. I was tempted to hunt down the source of that photo and you saved me the time and effort.

Posted Image
The evil overlord mummy moderator has spoken.

Visit My Blog!

#11    Hammerclaw

Hammerclaw

Far Traveler

• 5,331 posts

• "Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

Posted 17 August 2014 - 04:26 AM

The forum posts seem strangely similar to a lot of the ones here.

"An atheist, like a Christian, holds that we can know whether or not there is a God. The Christian holds that we can know there is a God; the atheist, that we can know there is not. The Agnostic suspends judgment, saying that there are not sufficient grounds either for affirmation or for denial."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users