Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

2020-2025 we will meet our neighbors?

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1    Midyin

Midyin

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 432 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 08:06 PM

So I have been hearing over and over again that scientist are predicting we will be contacted by ETs sometime between 2020 and 2025...

Why? What is going to be so profoundly different in the next 6 years that's going to make ETs decide we're worth talking to?

Edited by Midyin, 16 August 2014 - 08:06 PM.

#2    Mr.United_Nations

Mr.United_Nations

hi

• 9,304 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 08:12 PM

Europa is a start i guess, its just a estimate i guess, the same when i could get married between 2020- 2025

#3    The_Spartan

The_Spartan

Spartan Forever!!!!

• 3,779 posts

• Gravity is Arbitrary!!

Posted 16 August 2014 - 08:17 PM

if this related to alternative history? as in speculation? or did the OP post in the wrong forum?

"Wise men, when in doubt whether to speak or to keep quiet, give themselves the benefit of the doubt, and remain silent.-Napoleon Hill

Follow my stupid posts on Tumblr at Azrael's Ramblings

#4    Midyin

Midyin

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 432 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 09:31 PM

My bad, can a Mod please move this to ETs please?..

#5    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 39,707 posts

• In a flat world there is an explanation to everything.

Posted 16 August 2014 - 09:33 PM

the "scientists" also promised us the hovercar by 1980.... guess what?

A skeptic is a well informed believer and a pessimist a well informed optimist
The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#6    Sir Wearer of Hats

Sir Wearer of Hats

SCIENCE!

• 15,176 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 09:39 PM

Aliens could turn up outside the White House Kremlin People's Square in Beijing* and say "take us to the leader, we come in peace" in Mandarin tomorrow. Or seven minutes from now.
"2020" is no more an important date then 2012 or 2000.

*because it's the centre of governance for the largest population on the planet.

I must not fear. Fear is the Mind-Killer. It is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and to move through me. And when it is gone I will turn the inner eye to see it's path.
When the fear is gone, there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

You may think you're cool, but you'll never be as cool as Peter Capaldi with an electric guitar, on a tank, playing the Doctor Who theme.

#7    and then

and then

Abyssus Abyssum Invocat

• 17,763 posts

• I count him braver who overcomes his desires than him who conquers his enemies for the hardest victory is over SELF.
    Aristotle

Posted 16 August 2014 - 09:58 PM

They're probably still trying to figure if we're worth talking to or just exterminating.

We've cast the world, we've set the stage,
  for what could be, the darkest age...
“This is like playing poker with a guy who cheated you twice before. You know who does that, a moron.

#8    cladking

cladking

Non-Corporeal Being

• 8,498 posts

• Tempus fugit.

Posted 16 August 2014 - 10:01 PM

Somebody has been watching too much Star Trek and figures we'll be on the verge of
space exploration by then.  I have several problems with such thinking chief of which it's
not entirely logical that aliens would necessarily follow the prime directive as expressed
by Roddenberry.

I could probably agree the odds increase but then the odds we'll simply be anihilated
probably increase as well.

Aliens might not be as interested in "contact" as we are. If human minds are capable of
nearly any sort of thinking one can only guess at what aliens might find of interest.

The odds of contact now are low and might remain so until we go knocking.

Who knows?

Men fear the pyramid, time fears man.

#9    Hanslune

Hanslune

Government Agent

• 3,578 posts

Posted 17 August 2014 - 12:11 AM

I don't see any reason to believe that date would any more probable than any other. We might find something on the Moons of S and J but we may have to wait many, many generations before we get robotic craft  out to the nearer systems.

Edited by Hanslune, 17 August 2014 - 12:12 AM.

People aren't dismissing your theme out of hand, they are dismissing it because it has no basis in reality. You continue to take the worst translation (Mercer's) of a multiply sourced and combined text written in a language you know nothing about and from 150 years after the GP's construction and pretend, while ignoring that it is found in the tomb and addressed to Unis, that its a construction manual for an object (the GP) 150 years before Unis' reign. You are the reason your theme isn't taken seriously as you've not shown any knowledge of the subject at hand and therein lies your problem....................................................................Cormac mac airt......................2015

#10    qxcontinuum

qxcontinuum

Poltergeist

• 2,192 posts

• The age of stupid is upon us. Scientific conclusions are drawn from missing data, resuming to suppositions and guessing.

Posted 17 August 2014 - 02:26 AM

Meanwhile you can meet God. He is an alien too but a friendly one ! :)

#11    skookum

skookum

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,800 posts

Posted 17 August 2014 - 02:45 AM

I think scientists have speculated we will find signs of alien life in 20 years (radio signal, fossils, other signs), not a meet and greet with green men.  

We have to find each other before we can even talk about conquering the massive distances that will inhibit meeting and communication. Any detection is likely to be from something hundreds, thousands or even millions of years ago.

Posted Image

#12    Sir Wearer of Hats

Sir Wearer of Hats

SCIENCE!

• 15,176 posts

Posted 17 August 2014 - 07:29 AM

View Postqxcontinuum, on 17 August 2014 - 02:26 AM, said:

You could just PM me instead....

Edited by Sir Wearer of Hats, 17 August 2014 - 07:30 AM.

I must not fear. Fear is the Mind-Killer. It is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and to move through me. And when it is gone I will turn the inner eye to see it's path.

You may think you're cool, but you'll never be as cool as Peter Capaldi with an electric guitar, on a tank, playing the Doctor Who theme.

#13    seaturtlehorsesnake

seaturtlehorsesnake

i am political correctness gone mad

• 2,557 posts

Posted 17 August 2014 - 07:44 AM

so... who are these scientists who are predicting this?

#14    Rlyeh

Rlyeh

Forum Divinity

• 10,566 posts

• Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Posted 17 August 2014 - 08:20 AM

View Postqxcontinuum, on 17 August 2014 - 02:26 AM, said:

And how would someone meet God? Off themselves?

#15    Sir Wearer of Hats

Sir Wearer of Hats

SCIENCE!

• 15,176 posts

Posted 17 August 2014 - 08:32 AM

View PostRlyeh, on 17 August 2014 - 08:20 AM, said:

And how would someone meet God? Off themselves?
I answer PMs too.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users