Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

microchips to deny births to the ‘unworthy

• Please log in to reply
110 replies to this topic

#1    OverSword

OverSword

Forum Divinity

• 17,128 posts

• I love chocolate

Posted 17 August 2014 - 06:07 PM

Again due to length restriction of the thread title an inaccurately name thread.  Should have been " Author: Gvmt should use microchips to deny births to the ‘unworthy

From the article:

Although he admits it “sounds blatantly authoritarian” and “violates just about every core value we possess in a free society,” a noted transhumanist author has said a world government body should forcibly sterilize anyone “deemed unworthy” of parenthood by using implanted microchips.
Constitutional attorney and civil liberties expert John W. Whitehead, founder of The Rutherford Institute, warned LifeSiteNews.com earlier this year that political officials would long to use this seminal technology.
In an article for Wired.com today, philosopher Zoltan Istvan wrote that the notion first crossed his mind when he heard a blonde nurse say, “with 10,000 kids dying everyday around the world from starvation, you'd think we'd put birth control in the water.”
After careful thought, in an effort to “give hundreds of millions of future kids a better life, I cautiously endorse the idea of licensing parents,” Istvan wrote today.
The process, he said, “would be little different than getting a driver's license.” Parents must “pass a series of basic tests” in order to “get the green light to get pregnant and raise children.”
“Those applicants who are deemed unworthy” for a variety of reasons – he lists homelessness, criminal history, and poverty among his examples – “would not be allowed until they could demonstrate they were suitable parents.”

Read the rest here

Edit to add link to wired article cited

Edited by OverSword, 17 August 2014 - 06:27 PM.

#2    bubblykiss

bubblykiss

Last Among Equals

• 4,263 posts

Posted 17 August 2014 - 06:14 PM

I also want the gov't to quarter troops inside of poor people's wombs to form a protective barrier of combat soldiers and steel around their ample and fertile baby bags.

Her singing always cheered him up. Life seemed so much brighter when she stopped.

T. Pratchett.

#3    OverSword

OverSword

Forum Divinity

• 17,128 posts

• I love chocolate

Posted 17 August 2014 - 06:41 PM

Can you imagine there ever existing on planet earth the amount of social unity this would require?  Let's just pretend that this was a proper and right action, could it ever get consent?  This would have to be brutally enforced in some areas.  Right or Wrong this is just undoable, and hopefully remains so.

#4    Neognosis

Neognosis

Telekinetic

• 7,159 posts

• Just try not to hurt anybody, ok?

Posted 17 August 2014 - 06:51 PM

I would take up arms to fight against any kind of forced sterilization by the government.

#5    Skep B

Skep B

Savant of Depravity

• 5,563 posts

Posted 17 August 2014 - 07:38 PM

I don't mind the idea, though microchips seem to be a bad way to go about it, perhaps chemical would work better.

It just wouldn't work in a practical sense.  People get too up in arms about rights and what they feel like they deserve to be able to do.

When you know what a man loves, you know what can kill him

#6    and then

and then

Abyssus Abyssum Invocat

• 17,760 posts

• I count him braver who overcomes his desires than him who conquers his enemies for the hardest victory is over SELF.
    Aristotle

Posted 17 August 2014 - 07:50 PM

My father in law is 88.  He has 3 children and half a dozen grandkids.  He is a HUGE supporter of NPG - Negative Population Growth.  He daily expounds the crisis of "too many people".  When I try to point out the hypocrisy in his stance he simply doesn't understand :)  Reproduction is one of the seminal (sorry for the pun) instincts a human being has.  No way to just talk most people into forgoing it.  It would have to be a worldwide effort similar to what the Chinese did - except harsher.

We've cast the world, we've set the stage,
  for what could be, the darkest age...
“This is like playing poker with a guy who cheated you twice before. You know who does that, a moron.

#7    Skep B

Skep B

Savant of Depravity

• 5,563 posts

Posted 17 August 2014 - 07:52 PM

Yeah that'd be the problem with it in my head, for one how to enforce it, and also do we just go into eugenics at some point?  What about different social values?

Too many questions that aren't answered yet to make it viable.

#8    Wickian

Wickian

Doppelganger

• 4,605 posts

• Save it for Queen Doppelpoppellus!

Posted 17 August 2014 - 08:58 PM

I guess we should be kind of pleased even crazies like this are allowed to be loosely described as writers and actually have published works.

#9    Neognosis

Neognosis

Telekinetic

• 7,159 posts

• Just try not to hurt anybody, ok?

Posted 17 August 2014 - 09:34 PM

People get too up in arms about rights and what they feel like they deserve to be able to do.

Yea, those people and their stupid ideas that they should be allowed to reproduce! Who do they think they are?!

Only a cultural change will change population growth anyway.

#10    Skep B

Skep B

Savant of Depravity

• 5,563 posts

Posted 17 August 2014 - 09:39 PM

View PostNeognosis, on 17 August 2014 - 09:34 PM, said:

Yea, those people and their stupid ideas that they should be allowed to reproduce! Who do they think they are?!

I have to disagree with your implied point in this.

Not everyone needs to be allowed to reproduce.  Not everyone deserves the chance to.  Life will go on just fine without a few extra sets of genetics in the pool.

#11    StRoostifer

StRoostifer

Roo

• 4,361 posts

• "Our houses are such unwieldy property that we are often imprisoned rather than housed in them."

Posted 17 August 2014 - 09:51 PM

Im not at all for this idea but people aren't leaving much choice to their governments either. I'm all for freedom and independence but also responsibility as well.

Look at poverty stricken areas. Does it make any sense for people in poverty to reproduce? No. If  people struggle to put food on their own plate then it makes zero sense for them to have children and make those struggles even more difficult.

Same goes for teens. No they should not be reproducing when they aren't mentally mature enough yet or have the means to provide for the children.

Here in the US there are many people that have children to get food stamps, medical coverage, cash and housing from the government. Not all but many are looking for a free ride and know the government will not turn down people with children so these people take advantage of it.

I don't have the answer to solve these problems but I do believe it starts with responsibility. If a couple cannot afford or do not want children then there are many things they can do to prevent pregnancy and its their responsibility to do so, not the government. Sadly , most people know this and choose to ignore it because they know they can shift that responsibility onto their government to take care of. Well, now were starting to hear about what the government thinks on the matter and its not good.

Just because a couple can reproduce does not mean they should.

#12    OverSword

OverSword

Forum Divinity

• 17,128 posts

• I love chocolate

Posted 17 August 2014 - 09:59 PM

View PostStRoostifer, on 17 August 2014 - 09:51 PM, said:

Im not at all for this idea but people aren't leaving much choice to their governments either. I'm all for freedom and independence but also responsibility as well.

Look at poverty stricken areas. Does it make any sense for people in poverty to reproduce? No. If  people struggle to put food on their own plate then it makes zero sense for them to have children and make those struggles even more difficult.

One of my old room mates was a political refugee from a third world country.  He was the oldest of fifteen children.  4 of them didn't live past the age of five and every hand that did live was needed to work the farm to put food on the plates.  They didn't have the same tools as an American farmer  may meaning that there is much more manual labor required thus in fact, in many instances these poorer people do need bigger families for reasons which may not be immediately obvious to you or I.

#13    StRoostifer

StRoostifer

Roo

• 4,361 posts

• "Our houses are such unwieldy property that we are often imprisoned rather than housed in them."

Posted 17 August 2014 - 10:03 PM

View PostOverSword, on 17 August 2014 - 09:59 PM, said:

One of my old room mates was a political refugee from a third world country.  He was the oldest of fifteen children.  4 of them didn't live past the age of five and every hand that did live was needed to work the farm to put food on the plates.  They didn't have the same tools as an American farmer  may meaning that there is much more manual labor required thus in fact, in many instances these poorer people do need bigger families for reasons which may not be immediately obvious to you or I.

I completely understand this point. My father grew up on a farm in Tennessee back in the 40's and he's told me numerous times that the reason he had 7 brothers and sisters is that my grand parents needed the extra hands to tend to the farm. They weren't just growing for their own food but to produce goods to sell at the market as well.

#14    Skep B

Skep B

Savant of Depravity

• 5,563 posts

Posted 17 August 2014 - 10:04 PM

If there were fewer people, there wouldn't be as much food needed for the table though.

I completely understand this point. My father grew up on a farm in Tennessee back in the 40's and he's told me numerous times that the reason he had 7 brothers and sisters is that my grand parents needed the extra hands to tend to the farm. They weren't just growing for their own food but to produce goods to sell at the market as well.

this makes more sense, but with the world we live in today, it's just not needed

Edited by Scheming B, 17 August 2014 - 10:05 PM.

#15    DecoNoir

DecoNoir

The Entertainer

• 2,784 posts

• ... The Aristocrats.

Posted 17 August 2014 - 10:09 PM

View PostNeognosis, on 17 August 2014 - 09:34 PM, said:

Only a cultural change will change population growth anyway.

The problem with people getting up in arms about personal rights is when it comes at the price of the greater good. Like it or not the human population will grow at an exponential rate if it goes unchecked, and if nothing is done about it we'll strip the world of resources in no time at all. So our options are:

A- Find a new source of resources to support the growing population.

B- We check the population to fit the resource pool available.

And last I checked, we're a long way from discovering another resource pool, so it leaves us with one option. Frankly, its people like you who can't seem to think beyond their own wants, and blocking out the rest of the world in the process, that our digging the grave of the human race.

I reject your reality, and substitute my own! Mostly because yours is boring as hell.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users