Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Should anti-tattoo discrimination be illegal?

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#1    seeder

seeder

Nut Cracker

• 14,171 posts

• Never forget that only the weak fish swim with the stream, and a lie travels half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes.

Posted 18 August 2014 - 12:06 PM

Tattoos are more popular than ever, but workers can be dismissed from or denied jobs because of their body modifications. Some want protection under employment law. Should they get it?

You're perfect for the job. You have all the skills and experience the company is looking for, and you've turned up for the interview in your smartest attire.

But there's a problem.

If you have a tattoo that incurs the displeasure of the boss, you might find any offer of employment is swiftly rescinded.

In July Jo Perkins, a consultant in Milton Keynes, had her contract terminated because a 4cm image of a butterfly on her foot contravened the no-visible-inking policy of the firm for which she worked. The company said she had failed to cover it up.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...gazine-28758900

It wasn’t the miners who got rich; it was the people selling picks and shovels. Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored
It's not the depth of the rabbit hole that bugs me... It's all the rabbit poop you stumble over on your way down...
“It's easier to fool people - than to convince them that they have been fooled.”  Mark Twain

"The tragedy of life is not that it ends so soon, but that we wait so long to begin it"

#2    and then

and then

Abyssus Abyssum Invocat

• 17,782 posts

• I count him braver who overcomes his desires than him who conquers his enemies for the hardest victory is over SELF.
    Aristotle

Posted 18 August 2014 - 12:31 PM

If they allow exceptions then they cannot cry foul if some fine lad with horns tatooed on his head and face tatted solid red asks for employment.  It's the way of things these days - all or none.

We've cast the world, we've set the stage,
  for what could be, the darkest age...
“This is like playing poker with a guy who cheated you twice before. You know who does that, a moron.

#3    TheMustardLady

TheMustardLady

♫♪♀♀♀♫♪

• 6,110 posts

• The temp poster of Stubbly_Dooright who wants to solve everything with mustard! :D

Posted 18 August 2014 - 12:40 PM

I'm in the States, so I hope you don't me posting my thoughts here. Tattoos are also getting very prominent here too. I think this is a touchy situation. Well, it is art, I think, and a lot of them are considered personal. Working in retail all my adult life and married to a retired Air Force guy, I always felt you have to be careful of what you wear while on the job. In retail, where your appearance represents the company, I think it's reasonable to have an appearance that invites a customer in. There are some people I know who have tattoos all over their back and their arms, but it is just beautiful, and there are others who have all over and it just looks I'm sorry to say this, messy. It also depends what the tattoo says. That is permanent to a degree. What is personal to the wearer could be offensive to others, and I'm sure an employer will be thinking about that in an interview.
In the military, it was, if it can be covered up by the uniform, then it is ok.
In short, I think you can't discriminate but if your appearance will drive away clients, I think employers have a right to not hire you. I don't think it should be illegal to have tattoos, you should have the right to do what you want to yourself. But you should also be aware what you are doing when you go for a job, because it's what you give a job an employer is thinking about.

Posted Image  Greetings and Salutations!!!
Don't walk in front of me; I was not born to follow. Don't walk behind me; We were all born to lead. Don't walk without me; I might need you tomorrow. Walk right beside me, Be the real friend I need.  (Celtic Woman)

#4    Child of Bast

Child of Bast

Queen of the UM Asylum

• 6,164 posts

• The Mad Hatter: "Have I gone mad?"
    Alice: "I'm afraid so. You're entirely bonkers.But I'll tell you a secret: all the best people are."

Posted 18 August 2014 - 01:59 PM

I think it's within a company's rights to request (not demand) that tattoos be covered while at work. However, I do think it's ridiculous in this case because it's on the woman's foot. I may be in the minority, but I don't really look at someone's feet very often. I may notice a woman's shoes here and there, but I don't walk up to someone with my head down, eyes staring at their feet as I say, "Good morning! How are you today?" or anything else I might say to them during the day.

Edited by Child of Bast, 18 August 2014 - 01:59 PM.

No great mind has ever existed without a touch of madness. ~ Aristotle

#5    and then

and then

Abyssus Abyssum Invocat

• 17,782 posts

• I count him braver who overcomes his desires than him who conquers his enemies for the hardest victory is over SELF.
    Aristotle

Posted 18 August 2014 - 02:11 PM

View PostChild of Bast, on 18 August 2014 - 01:59 PM, said:

I think it's within a company's rights to request (not demand) that tattoos be covered while at work. However, I do think it's ridiculous in this case because it's on the woman's foot. I may be in the minority, but I don't really look at someone's feet very often. I may notice a woman's shoes here and there, but I don't walk up to someone with my head down, eyes staring at their feet as I say, "Good morning! How are you today?" or anything else I might say to them during the day.
True enough but here in the states we have a carnivore class called attorneys....

We've cast the world, we've set the stage,
  for what could be, the darkest age...
“This is like playing poker with a guy who cheated you twice before. You know who does that, a moron.

#6    Mr.United_Nations

Mr.United_Nations

hi

• 9,304 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 02:12 PM

View PostChild of Bast, on 18 August 2014 - 01:59 PM, said:

i think its to do with how clean is the person, you don't wanna go to a spa where the staff wear tattoos on their feet i guess. I have seen people cover up most of theirs when working, most don't seem bothered about it. Infact what is the point of getting one, where you are going for a job that does not allow that. It seems the media, the BBC are trying to stir things up, with "free rights" etc. But how thats taking away freedom of speech, we can't say anything hateful nowadays before it gets mentioned on the media

#7    Mr.United_Nations

Mr.United_Nations

hi

• 9,304 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 02:13 PM

View Postseeder, on 18 August 2014 - 12:06 PM, said:

Tattoos are more popular than ever, but workers can be dismissed from or denied jobs because of their body modifications. Some want protection under employment law. Should they get it?

You're perfect for the job. You have all the skills and experience the company is looking for, and you've turned up for the interview in your smartest attire.

But there's a problem.

If you have a tattoo that incurs the displeasure of the boss, you might find any offer of employment is swiftly rescinded.

In July Jo Perkins, a consultant in Milton Keynes, had her contract terminated because a 4cm image of a butterfly on her foot contravened the no-visible-inking policy of the firm for which she worked. The company said she had failed to cover it up.

well thats really her fault, she should of asked that before she got the job or early in

#8    rashore

rashore

Non-Corporeal Being

• 8,276 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 02:24 PM

Tats can indeed be covered, and if an employer requests it, it should be covered. Employers can otherwise implement a dress code, tats are something I consider within the dress code.

Your ad hominem connotes your sciolism. Now that is some funny commentary.

#9    spartan max2

spartan max2

Government Agent

• 3,689 posts

• People get mad when it rains or it shines but no one gets mad at the moon

Posted 18 August 2014 - 02:26 PM

I think people would tattoos should be allowed to work. But i dont think a law needs to be made, your business your choice who to hire.

I think in a few decades this will be commonly accepted anyways

Posted Image

" I imagine that the intellegent people are the ones so intellegent that they dont even need or want to look "intellegent" anymore".
Criss Jami

#10    Neognosis

Neognosis

Telekinetic

• 7,159 posts

• Just try not to hurt anybody, ok?

Posted 18 August 2014 - 03:19 PM

No law.

I am heavily tatooed and I cover them during work.

I'll get my neck tatooed when it means that I depend on nobody but myself for my wages.

A private company should be allowed to fire you if they don't like how you look.

#11    RabidMongoose

RabidMongoose

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 03:31 PM

View Postseeder, on 18 August 2014 - 12:06 PM, said:

But there's a problem.

In customer facing roles its important to have employees without visable tattoos as it gives out the wrong impression to punters. The same is true for other forms of body modification and ridiculas hair styles.

In back office operations I want staff that conform to rules and the organisations acceptable standards of behaviour. In my opinion that isnt normally people covered in tatoos, peircings and bright green hair. They usually cause problems. Sterotypes very much hold true over this issue (90%) as far as my experiences go.

Edited by RabidMongoose, 18 August 2014 - 03:31 PM.

#12    Mr.United_Nations

Mr.United_Nations

hi

• 9,304 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 04:26 PM

View Postspartan max2, on 18 August 2014 - 02:26 PM, said:

I think people would tattoos should be allowed to work. But i dont think a law needs to be made, your business your choice who to hire.

Posted Image
well hes fine becasue he can cover it

#13    OverSword

OverSword

Forum Divinity

• 17,167 posts

• I love chocolate

Posted 18 August 2014 - 04:54 PM

You know what?  If I'm a sales manager at a nice department store selling people pricey clothes and a perfectly qualified person applies who has a tattoo on their neck, I want the right to not hire that person.  There are certain companies where the business's owners and managers are going to want to maintain certain standards for their clientele and the government should have no say in this beyond racial or sexual discrimination.  People with tattoos on their face made a choice when they elected to disfigure themselves, so let them deal with the consequences.

#14    OverSword

OverSword

Forum Divinity

• 17,167 posts

• I love chocolate

Posted 18 August 2014 - 04:56 PM

View Postspartan max2, on 18 August 2014 - 02:26 PM, said:

Posted Image
I think in a few decades it will be a passed fad.  Younger people coming up will want to be different than their parents and since their parents will largely be covered in ink the kids want to be different..

Also, I'll bet that guy isn't a doctor.

Edited by OverSword, 18 August 2014 - 05:01 PM.

#15    Neognosis

Neognosis

Telekinetic

• 7,159 posts

• Just try not to hurt anybody, ok?

Posted 18 August 2014 - 05:14 PM

Also, I'll bet that guy isn't a doctor.

You were doing OK before you dropped a great big pile of ignorance into your post.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users