Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Eclipsing binary stars

binary stars eclipsing binary stars contact binaries

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1    Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 33,378 posts

• We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

Oscar Wilde

Posted 21 August 2014 - 04:58 PM

Eclipsing binary stars discovered by high school students at SMU summer research program
Treasures of the night sky: Pairs of stars orbit around each other so closely their outer atmospheres touch, so they dim and brighten.

Southern Methodist University said:

Two Dallas high school students discovered five stars as members of an SMU summer physics research program that enabled them to analyze data gleaned from a high-powered telescope in the New Mexico desert.

All five stars are eclipsing contact binary stars, pairs of stars that orbit around each other so closely that their outer atmospheres touch. As the stars eclipse, they dim and then brighten as one emerges from behind the other.

Posted Image

Edited by Waspie_Dwarf, 21 August 2014 - 04:59 PM.

"Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-boggingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the street to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space." - The Hitch-Hikers Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Posted Image
Click on button

#2    Shiloh17

The Last.

• 2,417 posts

• "Eve's eve, a new beginning."

Posted 23 August 2014 - 03:06 AM

I bet they have a tide on both stars that is a firestorm like nothing we've ever seen before. I would like to see that for real, through pictures.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users