Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Ten days left .....

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1    keithisco

keithisco

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,160 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 06:49 PM

Stupidity or not? You decide:

Anyone wanting to buy a powerful vacuum cleaner has only 10 days left to be certain of getting one - following new EU rules that come in next month.

From 1 September, companies in the EU will be banned from making or importing vacuum cleaners above 1600 watts.

Hoover - based in South Wales - said that most of its cleaners were in that category.

It has been replacing its models since July with less powerful versions, but a few are still left on the shelves.

Elements of the directive - known as 2009/125/EC - are being challenged by the Dyson group
Source (BBC): http://www.bbc.com/n...siness-28878432

#2    Taun

Taun

A dashing moose about town...

• 5,857 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 07:08 PM

Hmmmm... Less power = less dust/dirt pickup = more time spent vacuuming = savings (how?)...

#3    freetoroam

freetoroam

Honourary member of the UM asylum

• 7,635 posts

• If you didn't see it with your own eyes, or hear it with your own ears, don't invent it with your small mind and share it with your big mouth!

Posted 21 August 2014 - 07:14 PM

Ebay is going to be heaving and china are going to be laughing all the way to the bank.

Does not bother me though, we do not use anything that powerful on our boat, my little hoover does it all in 10 minutes. :yes: (and thats 9 minutes more than I care for) :cry:

In an ideal World a law would be passed were NO guns were allowed and all those out there destroyed, trouble is the law makers are not going to take a risk of trying to pass that without making sure they are armed first.

#4    Stubbly_Dooright

Stubbly_Dooright

♫♪♀♀♀♫♪

• 2,756 posts

• ♪♫ Dementia, you're
    driving me crazy! ♫♪
    - Owlcity.

Posted 21 August 2014 - 09:12 PM

I guess the states are not effected, or am I not seeing something there? Anyways, I wouldn't care. We have one of those bagless ones, and even then I don't use it as much. I have two carpet sweepers, considering we have more oriental rugs to wall to wall carpets, and we're planning to rip those up to expose the hardwood underneath. I prefer using the carpet sweepers. I hate lugging the vacuum cleaner all over the place.

Posted Image  Greetings and Salutations!!!
If you wont talk to your cat about catnip......who will?
Introverts unite! But only on the internet.

#5    seeder

seeder

Nut Cracker

• 10,538 posts

• Never forget that only the weak fish swim with the stream, and a lie travels half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes.

Posted 21 August 2014 - 09:15 PM

Im selling my hoover... well, it was just collecting dust! :lol:

That one liner earned a top prize at the Edinburgh comedy festival

Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored
It's not the depth of the rabbit hole that bugs me... It's all the rabbit poop you stumble over on your way down...
“It's easier to fool people - than to convince them that they have been fooled.”  Mark Twain

"The tragedy of life is not that it ends so soon, but that we wait so long to begin it"

#6    freetoroam

freetoroam

• 7,635 posts

• If you didn't see it with your own eyes, or hear it with your own ears, don't invent it with your small mind and share it with your big mouth!

Posted 21 August 2014 - 09:27 PM

View Postseeder, on 21 August 2014 - 09:15 PM, said:

Im selling my hoover... well, it was just collecting dust! :lol:

That one liner earned a top prize at the Edinburgh comedy festival
Top prize? Jeeze, the other one liners must have sucked.

Get it, hoover? sucked? Oh forget it!

In an ideal World a law would be passed were NO guns were allowed and all those out there destroyed, trouble is the law makers are not going to take a risk of trying to pass that without making sure they are armed first.

#7    seeder

seeder

Nut Cracker

• 10,538 posts

• Never forget that only the weak fish swim with the stream, and a lie travels half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes.

Posted 21 August 2014 - 09:49 PM

View Postfreetoroam, on 21 August 2014 - 09:27 PM, said:

Top prize? Jeeze, the other one liners must have sucked.

Get it, hoover? sucked? Oh forget it!

Heard the Hoover joke? It bags a prize at Edinburgh! One-liner helps Tim Vine clean up Fringe's best contest for second time

It is the second time comedian, Tim Vine, 47, has won the best joke award at the festival
    He won in 2010 with: 'I've just been on a once-in-a-lifetime holiday. I'll tell you what, never again'
    Organisers collect jokes and then put them to public, with Vine's gag receiving a fifth of votes
    Ria Lina came fifth: 'I wanted to do a show about feminism. But my husband wouldn't let me.'

http://www.dailymail...l#ixzz3B48bL0d8

Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored
It's not the depth of the rabbit hole that bugs me... It's all the rabbit poop you stumble over on your way down...
“It's easier to fool people - than to convince them that they have been fooled.”  Mark Twain

"The tragedy of life is not that it ends so soon, but that we wait so long to begin it"

#8    shrooma

shrooma

. . . hidin' in the trees with a picnic.....

• 3,801 posts

• Live.
    Sin.
    Die.

Posted 22 August 2014 - 07:11 AM

QUOTE-
The rules will get even tougher in
three years' time.
From 1 September 2017, all vacuum
cleaners will have to be less than
900w.
where's Nigel Farage when you need him.....

“We do not regard Englishmen as foreigners. We look on them only as rather mad Norwegians."

-Halvard Lange-
Norwegian Prime Minister.

#9    freetoroam

freetoroam

• 7,635 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 08:36 AM

View Postshrooma, on 22 August 2014 - 07:11 AM, said:

QUOTE-
three years' time.
900w.
where's Nigel Farage when you need him.....
Hoovering up a few more seats left by the opposition.

#10    skookum

skookum

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,562 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 08:38 AM

View Postshrooma, on 22 August 2014 - 07:11 AM, said:

QUOTE-
three years' time.
900w.

Be more efficient by then to make us take our carpets outside, hang them up and give them a good bash with something.

Posted Image

#11    shrooma

shrooma

• 3,801 posts

• Live.
    Sin.
    Die.

Posted 22 August 2014 - 09:11 AM

View Postskookum, on 22 August 2014 - 08:38 AM, said:

Be more efficient by then to make us take our carpets outside, hang them up and give them a good bash with something.
i reckon the EU rule book should be hefty enough to knock the bejeebus outt'n even a '70's p**n star's rug Skookum!
:o

“We do not regard Englishmen as foreigners. We look on them only as rather mad Norwegians."

-Halvard Lange-

#12    shrooma

shrooma

• 3,801 posts

• Live.
    Sin.
    Die.

Posted 22 August 2014 - 09:13 AM

View Postfreetoroam, on 22 August 2014 - 08:36 AM, said:

Hoovering up a few more seats left by the opposition.
you're certainly cleaning up on the hoover jokes today Freet!
:-)

-Halvard Lange-

#13    keithisco

keithisco

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,160 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 09:20 AM

View Postskookum, on 22 August 2014 - 08:38 AM, said:

200 M2 of fitted carpets - time to invest in a bigger line to hang them up on :whistle: ... at least I have my "Bashing Buddy" >>> :sk :sk

Edited by keithisco, 22 August 2014 - 09:20 AM.

#14    stevewinn

stevewinn

Government Agent

• 8,833 posts

• Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival

Posted 22 August 2014 - 12:00 PM

Seriously a Hoover rated 1600 watts or above - banning It, banning it? time and time again its the same old rubbish by the EU. If it doesn't conform to EU ban it. It just goes to show the lengths the EU go to, the lowest level they will sink to in order to meddle.

EU rules dictated the shape and size of 36 varieties of produce, from apricots to watermelons, effectively banishing all but perfect specimens. Back in 2009, an EU ban on fresh produce that didn’t match standard shapes and sizes, including curly cucumbers and knobbly carrots, was lifted. Up to that point an estimated 20 to 40% of UK fruit and vegetables was rejected even before it reached the shops.

"EU official is that a carrot" -YES, "EU official no its not its wonky" BAN.

"EU official, is that a Kiwi fruit? It looks like a Kiwi fruit, -YES, its a Kiwi fruit, "EU official have you weighed it? -No, "EU official"  weigh it. -okay, 58g- "EU Official: checks EU list; for definition of Kiwi fruit. description according to EU rules: Class II kiwis must weigh a minimum of 62g. "EU official how much does your kiwi weigh?" 58g. Sorry, it looks like a kiwi tastes like a kiwi, and is a kiwi anywhere else in the world - but under EU rules its not a kiwi. in order to be a kiwi in the Soviet European Union it must weigh a minimum 62g" yours weighs 58g BAN.

Welcome to the of the Soviet Federation States of Europe. comrade.

Edited by stevewinn, 22 August 2014 - 12:01 PM.

Posted Image

British by Birth - English by the Grace of God

#15    shrooma

shrooma

• 3,801 posts

• Live.
    Sin.
    Die.

Posted 22 August 2014 - 12:15 PM

the sooner we're free from this lunacy Steve, the better.

-Halvard Lange-

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users