Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Bill to make body armor illegal for civilians

OverSword

Hmm..........Pretty sure how I feel about this political effort to prevent me from being able to protect myself. How about you?

From the article:

Rep. Mike Honda, D-San Jose, has announced legislation that would block civilians from accessing military-grade body armor to prevent criminals from using them in gun battles with law enforcement.

Honda, speaking at a news conference in San Jose Wednesday morning with police chiefs and the district attorneys and sheriffs from Santa Clara and Alameda counties, said his proposal would discourage criminals from wearing enhanced body armor to commit mass shootings.

LINK

Edited by Saru
Reduced copied text
  • Like 1

All a criminal would need to do (especially in that part of Cali) is to drive across the border to Mexico, buy it there (probably for less than they could find it in the states).... I know it's been said about

hand guns.. but it holds true here - this will only keep body armor out of the hands of non-criminals...

I do wonder if politicians (who are decidedly NOT "law enforcement, firefighters and other first responders") and their body guards will surrender their body armor...

• Like 5

I do wonder if politicians (who are decidedly NOT "law enforcement, firefighters and other first responders") and their body guards will surrender their body armor...

Of course not, they're above everyone else, y'know, special.

• Like 2

The title of this is very exagerated......

It never states to make body armor illegal, just military grade body armor.

I love how people distort facts to make things look worse ( or better ) then they are.......

Worse then the politicians they are b****ing about.

Even worse...People are replying not noticing this.

A mod should change the title, and the description. Both are not true, and change the facts of the story....

From the article....

"We're not talking about just a standard bullet-proof vest," he said. "We're talking about body armor that is designed for warfare, designed to protect against law enforcement ammunitions."

Edited by Sakari
  • Like 1

Who even sells military grade body armor, army surplus?

I was wondering the same thing! I thought about looking into it, but due to this site, ahem, I look up so many things that could be misconstrued I thought I'd wait to see how the conversation went. :blush::unsure2:

• Like 2

If anyone reads the full article, it makes sense.

He is not saying all body armor, just military grade body armor, as I pointed out.

Considering we can not buy military grade rockets, grenades, ammunition, etc. Why should we be able to get that?

You can still get your body armor folks, just not the Military's.

• Like 1

What's the difference between 'standard' and 'military' grade body armour?

• Like 1

Well, where would we get us some of that thar reglur body amor?

I would guess a sporting good place? And there is always online for all sorts of buying too.

• Like 1

body armor.....Easilly found as said above.

https://www.smartpak...CFZCUfgodHooAPQ

This says military body armor, but not military grade......It is about $2,000.00 more though.

http://www.blackhawk...itary grade....

Here is a description of military grade.

Military Soft Body Armor — Protecting the protectors.

Serving those who serve our country means providing them with the protection of the original ballistic fiber - DuPont™ Kevlar® fiber for military soft body armor. Invented and made in America. Battle tested from Fallujah to Helmand.

An inherently dangerous job requires body armor. Brave Americans serving in every branch of the Armed Forces since the 1970s have depended upon body armor and flak jackets made with Kevlar® fiber to help protect them from combat hazards, such as ballistic projectiles and explosive fragmentation.

Protective equipment made with DuPont™ Kevlar® fiber is lightweight and comfortable enough to help improve mobility and reduce fatigue for soldiers in the field. Yet Kevlar® fiber is five times stronger than steel on an equal-weight basis, offering superior protection against fragmentation and ballistic threats. Kevlar® fiber is also inherently flame-resistant, helping to provide thermal protection from blasts and fire.

In the iOTV, Kevlar® KM2® and KM2® Plus technology in soft body armor helps provide excellent protection from conventional fragmentation and multiple hits from 9mm handguns. Inserts for military body armor made with Kevlar® fiber are also tough enough to help protect against cuts, chemicals, and flame.

Kevlar® technology in military-grade protection has multiple uses:

• Improved Outer Tactical Vest (iOTV)
  • Improved Modular Tactical Vest (iMTV)
  • Throat and groin protectors
  • Deltoid Auxiliary Protection System (DAPS)

Edited by Sakari

Just sayin' ......

If one feels they need to purchase, or own body armor, they may want to make some changes in their lifestyle / occupation / hobby.

• Like 4

And there is always online for all sorts of buying too.

I'll refer back to post #9... :whistle:

Just sayin' ......

If one feels they need to purchase, or own body armor, they may want to make some changes in their lifestyle / occupation / hobby.

What's wrong with someone wanting to own some high quality body armor beyond a vest? There's hundreds of millions of people who buy things they don't need or use because they enjoy owning them for the novelty of it.

• Like 3

What's wrong with someone wanting to own some high quality body armor beyond a vest? There's hundreds of millions of people who buy things they don't need or use because they enjoy owning them for the novelty of it.

May not be anything wrong with it to the person buying it. Personally, I see no need for it. I would rather spend the money on Bikes. ( the kind with motors )

If someone wanted to have fully operational RPG's, as a novelty, is that ok too?

Just sayin' ......

Maybe they live in a dangerous neighbourhood that they can't afford to leave? Maybe they are worried that their gun-owning neighbour is beginning to lose the plot or is getting a little cranky with them?

Maybe they don't 'need' to own them right now, but what about the near future? What if the government turns on them? Tries to overly suppress them?

Maybe they live in a dangerous neighbourhood that they can't afford to leave? Maybe they are worried that their gun-owning neighbour is beginning to lose the plot or is getting a little cranky with them?

But they can afford $3,000.00 dollar body armor?........Nice try.

But they can afford $3,000.00 dollar body armor?........Nice try.

I was thinking more of their connections ...... family, work etc., but how far could anyone get on $3,000 anyway? It's hardly enough to start a new life with, is it?

Edited by ouija ouija

body armor.....Easilly found as said above.

https://www.smartpak...CFZCUfgodHooAPQ

This says military body armor, but not military grade......It is about $2,000.00 more though.

http://www.blackhawk...itary grade....

Here is a description of military grade.

Military Soft Body Armor — Protecting the protectors.

Serving those who serve our country means providing them with the protection of the original ballistic fiber - DuPont™ Kevlar® fiber for military soft body armor. Invented and made in America. Battle tested from Fallujah to Helmand.

An inherently dangerous job requires body armor. Brave Americans serving in every branch of the Armed Forces since the 1970s have depended upon body armor and flak jackets made with Kevlar® fiber to help protect them from combat hazards, such as ballistic projectiles and explosive fragmentation.

Protective equipment made with DuPont™ Kevlar® fiber is lightweight and comfortable enough to help improve mobility and reduce fatigue for soldiers in the field. Yet Kevlar® fiber is five times stronger than steel on an equal-weight basis, offering superior protection against fragmentation and ballistic threats. Kevlar® fiber is also inherently flame-resistant, helping to provide thermal protection from blasts and fire.

In the iOTV, Kevlar® KM2® and KM2® Plus technology in soft body armor helps provide excellent protection from conventional fragmentation and multiple hits from 9mm handguns. Inserts for military body armor made with Kevlar® fiber are also tough enough to help protect against cuts, chemicals, and flame.

Kevlar® technology in military-grade protection has multiple uses:

• Improved Outer Tactical Vest (iOTV)
  • Improved Modular Tactical Vest (iMTV)
  • Throat and groin protectors
  • Deltoid Auxiliary Protection System (DAPS)

Those are really just the plate carriers. The carriers will stop a knife, minor shrapnel, and sometimes a 9mm round. The SAPI plates are what go inside of the carriers, and will stop 7.62. I know the surplus stores around the military bases will not even buy SAPI plates. The plates are at least double what that tactical vest costs. All together, the setup weighs about 38lbs, and absolutely sucks to wear for an extended period of time.

If anyone reads the full article, it makes sense.

He is not saying all body armor, just military grade body armor, as I pointed out.

Considering we can not buy military grade rockets, grenades, ammunition, etc. Why should we be able to get that?

Body armor is for protection. Why does it matter what grade it is?

Body armor is for protection. Why does it matter what grade it is?

You would have to ask the people making it.

In the Bill, it only states not letting the public purchase Military Grade.( made specifically for our Soldiers ) Any other grade is fair game.

I was thinking more of their connections ...... family, work etc., but how far could anyone get on $3,000 anyway? It's hardly enough to start a new life with, is it?

At $500.00 a month rent, it is 6 months out of that bad neighborhood.

You know what I mean. If someone can not afford to get out of a bad neighborhood, they sure the hell can not afford military grade armor for their family.