Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Bill to make body armor illegal for civilians

• Please log in to reply
80 replies to this topic

#1    OverSword

OverSword

Forum Divinity

• 13,291 posts

• When the power of love overcomes the love of power then humanity can evolve

Posted 21 August 2014 - 09:05 PM

Hmm..........Pretty sure how I feel about this political effort to prevent me from being able to protect myself.  How about you?

From the article:

Rep. Mike Honda, D-San Jose, has announced legislation that would block civilians from accessing military-grade body armor to prevent criminals from using them in gun battles with law enforcement.

Honda, speaking at a news conference in San Jose Wednesday morning with police chiefs and the district attorneys and sheriffs from Santa Clara and Alameda counties, said his proposal would discourage criminals from wearing enhanced body armor to commit mass shootings.

LINK

Edited by Saru, 22 August 2014 - 02:25 PM.
Reduced copied text

#2    aztek

aztek

Majestic 12 Operative

• 5,911 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 09:15 PM

of course, who else but democrapt.

RESIDENT TROLL.

#3    Sweetpumper

Sweetpumper

Heatseeker

• 10,632 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 09:19 PM

What they should do is ban guns, that way nobody would need armor.

"At it's most basic level, science is supposed to represent the investigation of the unexplained, not the explanation of the uninvestigated." - Hunt for the Skinwalker

"The ultimate irony of the Disclosure movement is that it deeply distrusts officialdom, while simultaneously looking to officialdom for the truth." - Robbie Graham Silver Screen Saucers

#4    Taun

Taun

A dashing moose about town...

• 5,678 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 09:26 PM

All a criminal would need to do (especially in that part of Cali) is to drive across the border to Mexico, buy it there (probably for less than they could find it in the states).... I know it's been said about
hand guns.. but it holds true here - this will only keep body armor out of the hands of non-criminals...

I do wonder if politicians (who are decidedly NOT "law enforcement, firefighters and other first responders") and their body guards will surrender their body armor...

#5    Sweetpumper

Sweetpumper

Heatseeker

• 10,632 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 09:37 PM

View PostTaun, on 21 August 2014 - 09:26 PM, said:

I do wonder if politicians (who are decidedly NOT "law enforcement, firefighters and other first responders") and their body guards will surrender their body armor...

Of course not, they're above everyone else, y'know, special.

"At it's most basic level, science is supposed to represent the investigation of the unexplained, not the explanation of the uninvestigated." - Hunt for the Skinwalker

"The ultimate irony of the Disclosure movement is that it deeply distrusts officialdom, while simultaneously looking to officialdom for the truth." - Robbie Graham Silver Screen Saucers

#6    Wickian

Wickian

Doppelganger

• 3,879 posts

• Save it for Queen Doppelpoppellus!

Posted 21 August 2014 - 09:46 PM

The only good civilian is a docile and helpless civilian.

#7    rashore

rashore

Telekinetic

• 6,970 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 09:53 PM

Who even sells military grade body armor, army surplus?

#8    Sakari

Sakari

tohi

• 12,348 posts
  • Location:Safford, Arizona...My heart and soul are still on the Oregon Coast.

• Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Posted 21 August 2014 - 09:55 PM

The title of this is very exagerated......
It never states to make body armor illegal, just military grade body armor.

I love how people distort facts to make things look worse ( or better ) then they are.......

Worse then the politicians they are b****ing about.

Even worse...People are replying not noticing this.

A mod should change the title, and the description. Both are not true, and change the facts of the story....

From the article....

"We're not talking about just a standard bullet-proof vest," he said. "We're talking about body armor that is designed for warfare, designed to protect against law enforcement ammunitions."

Edited by Sakari, 21 August 2014 - 09:59 PM.

Our Wolf's Memorial Page

http://petsupports.com/a04/sakari.htm

#9    Michelle

Michelle

Forum Divinity

• 14,871 posts

• Eleanor Roosevelt: Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.

Posted 21 August 2014 - 10:00 PM

View Postrashore, on 21 August 2014 - 09:53 PM, said:

Who even sells military grade body armor, army surplus?

I was wondering the same thing! I thought about looking into it, but due to this site, ahem, I look up so many things that could be misconstrued I thought I'd wait to see how the conversation went. :blush: :unsure2:

#10    Sakari

Sakari

tohi

• 12,348 posts

• Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Posted 21 August 2014 - 10:02 PM

If anyone reads the full article, it makes sense.

He is not saying all body armor, just military grade body armor, as I pointed out.

Considering we can not buy military grade rockets, grenades, ammunition, etc. Why should we be able to get that?

You can still get your body armor folks, just not the Military's.

Our Wolf's Memorial Page

#11    ouija ouija

ouija ouija

dimple

• 10,116 posts

• I never walk alone.

Posted 21 August 2014 - 10:12 PM

What's the difference between 'standard' and 'military' grade body armour?

Life is all too much ............................................. and not enough.

It is only when you form your question precisely and accurately that you receive the true answer.

#12    Michelle

Michelle

Forum Divinity

• 14,871 posts

• Eleanor Roosevelt: Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.

Posted 21 August 2014 - 10:19 PM

View PostSakari, on 21 August 2014 - 10:02 PM, said:

You can still get your body armor folks, just not the Military's.

Well, where would we get us some of that thar reglur body amor?

#13    rashore

rashore

Telekinetic

• 6,970 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 10:22 PM

View PostMichelle, on 21 August 2014 - 10:19 PM, said:

I would guess a sporting good place? And there is always online for all sorts of buying too.

#14    Sakari

Sakari

tohi

• 12,348 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 10:23 PM

View PostMichelle, on 21 August 2014 - 10:19 PM, said:

body armor.....Easilly found as said above.

https://www.smartpak...CFZCUfgodHooAPQ

This says military body armor, but not military grade......It is about $2,000.00 more though.

http://www.blackhawk...itary grade....

Here is a description of military grade.

Military Soft Body Armor — Protecting the protectors.

Serving those who serve our country means providing them with the protection of the original ballistic fiber - DuPont™ Kevlar® fiber for military soft body armor.  Invented and made in America.  Battle tested from Fallujah to Helmand.

An inherently dangerous job requires body armor.  Brave Americans serving in every branch of the Armed Forces since the 1970s have depended upon body armor and flak jackets made with Kevlar® fiber to help protect them from combat hazards, such as ballistic projectiles and explosive fragmentation.
Protective equipment made with DuPont™ Kevlar® fiber is lightweight and comfortable enough to help improve mobility and reduce fatigue for soldiers in the field. Yet Kevlar® fiber is five times stronger than steel on an equal-weight basis, offering superior protection against fragmentation and ballistic threats. Kevlar® fiber is also inherently flame-resistant, helping to provide thermal protection from blasts and fire.
In the iOTV, Kevlar® KM2® and KM2® Plus technology in soft body armor  helps provide excellent protection from conventional fragmentation and multiple hits from 9mm handguns. Inserts for military body armor made with Kevlar® fiber are also tough enough to help protect against cuts, chemicals, and flame.
Kevlar® technology in military-grade protection has multiple uses:
  • Improved Outer Tactical Vest (iOTV)
  • Improved Modular Tactical Vest (iMTV)
  • Throat and groin protectors
  • Deltoid Auxiliary Protection System (DAPS)

Edited by Sakari, 21 August 2014 - 10:26 PM.

Our Wolf's Memorial Page

#15    Sakari

Sakari

tohi

• 12,348 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 10:27 PM

Just sayin' ......

If one feels they need to purchase, or own body armor, they may want to make some changes in their lifestyle / occupation / hobby.

Our Wolf's Memorial Page

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users