Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Global warming slowdown could last 15 years

• Please log in to reply
97 replies to this topic

#1    UM-Bot

UM-Bot

News, media and articles

• 6,196 posts

• Beep Boop

Posted 22 August 2014 - 01:11 PM

Scientists believe that excess heat is currently being stored in the depths of the world's oceans.

Recent data has shown that the long rise in global temperatures has evened out over the last few years, a revelation that has led to much debate amongst scientists and climate change skeptics.

Read More: http://www.unexplain...d-last-15-years

This is an official comment thread for a main site news story, article or video.
Please keep comments civil and on topic.
Thank you.

#2    OverSword

OverSword

Forum Divinity

• 13,427 posts

• When the power of love overcomes the love of power then humanity can evolve

Posted 22 August 2014 - 01:21 PM

key uneducated American world destroyer:

That's right.  Keep the panic alive. "things haven't gone end of the world bad like we predicted but just you wait, in another 15 years the world will end unless you knuckle under to our warmist agenda right now"

Edited by OverSword, 22 August 2014 - 01:23 PM.

#3    RoofGardener

RoofGardener

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 983 posts

• Look upon my Plantpots ye mighty, and despair.

Posted 22 August 2014 - 01:30 PM

So, the uncalibrated computer models fail to predict reality, causing concern over the viability of their underlying, untested Global Warming theories.

The solutions ?

Bring out another untested theory to "explain" it, without diverting from the Holy Writ of AGM Global Warming.

Phew... that was close. Somebody give Professor Ka-Kit Tung another grant or two.

#4    OverSword

OverSword

Forum Divinity

• 13,427 posts

• When the power of love overcomes the love of power then humanity can evolve

Posted 22 August 2014 - 01:45 PM

science.

#5    :PsYKoTiC:BeHAvIoR:

:PsYKoTiC:BeHAvIoR:

Deadliest of the Species

• 3,763 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 02:02 PM

Theories proposed to explain this have ranged from volcanic eruptions to sulphur from power stations in China, but now a new study published in the journal 'Science' has revealed that the ocean, in particular the Atlantic and Southern Oceans, may be trapping excess heat deep down below the surface.

They forgot to mention excessive methane gas release from the overcrowding herds of cows.

Posted Image
"I'd long heard rumors of an alien species that hunted men for sport. I'd always thought they were nothing but campfire tales."

#6    Merc14

Merc14

anti-woo magician

• 5,406 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 02:05 PM

I thought this was settled science yet here we have another completely unknown climate changer.  Regardless, it allows them to kick the can down the road for another 15 years until they have to explain another new wonder.

Edited by Merc14, 22 August 2014 - 02:06 PM.

Nice midterms democrats.  As Pelosi says, "Embrace the suck".

#7    Calibeliever

Calibeliever

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 697 posts

• The greatest of faults, I should say, is to be conscious of none. - Thomas Carlyle

Posted 22 August 2014 - 04:30 PM

Yea! We get to keep polluting a few more years! Yippee!

#8    Doug1o29

Doug1o29

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,485 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 05:41 PM

View PostMerc14, on 22 August 2014 - 02:05 PM, said:

I thought this was settled science yet here we have another completely unknown climate changer.  Regardless, it allows them to kick the can down the road for another 15 years until they have to explain another new wonder.
The last "hiatus" lasted 26 years.  We're only 16 years into this one.  And even then, temps are still rising, if slower than in the 80s and 90s.

But before we start wringing our hands (or cheering) at the prospect, let's remember that a warm water pool developed in the central-to-eastern Pacific last spring, but then dissipated.  Had it not dissipated, we'd be having rain in California right now and the drought would be a thing of the past AND:  warming would be back in full force.

The next chance will be about a year from now.  Maybe that warm pool can get it together this time.

And it IS settled science, in case you haven't been keeping up.  The articles have been coming out over the last six months.  Warmer SSTs in the Atlantic (caused by guess what) have intensified the trade winds that push warm water westward in the Pacific.  As a result, a warm pool has developed in the western Pacific, impeding the westward flow of more warm water.  That water, with no place else to go, flows below the warm pool and into the deep ocean, warming it.  Winds going ashore in Asia spiral northward, intensifying the Rossby waves, causing both warmer and colder temps at mid-latitudes - anybody remember last spring's weather?  So the "hiatus" AND last spring's cold snap in North America were both the product of global warming.

And the Arctic Ocean is still losing ice cover.  It's going to have an effect, though right now, I'm not sure what that's going to be.  Somehow, I don't think it's going to be good.
Doug

If I have seen farther than other men, it is because I stood on the shoulders of giants. --Bernard de Chartres
The beginning of knowledge is the realization that one doesn't and cannot know everything.
Science is the father of knowledge, but opinion breeds ignorance. --Hippocrates
Ignorance is not an opinion. --Adam Scott

#9    Merc14

Merc14

anti-woo magician

• 5,406 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 06:08 PM

View PostDoug1o29, on 22 August 2014 - 05:41 PM, said:

The last "hiatus" lasted 26 years.  We're only 16 years into this one.  And even then, temps are still rising, if slower than in the 80s and 90s.

But before we start wringing our hands (or cheering) at the prospect, let's remember that a warm water pool developed in the central-to-eastern Pacific last spring, but then dissipated.  Had it not dissipated, we'd be having rain in California right now and the drought would be a thing of the past AND:  warming would be back in full force.

The next chance will be about a year from now.  Maybe that warm pool can get it together this time.

And it IS settled science, in case you haven't been keeping up.  The articles have been coming out over the last six months.  Warmer SSTs in the Atlantic (caused by guess what) have intensified the trade winds that push warm water westward in the Pacific.  As a result, a warm pool has developed in the western Pacific, impeding the westward flow of more warm water.  That water, with no place else to go, flows below the warm pool and into the deep ocean, warming it.  Winds going ashore in Asia spiral northward, intensifying the Rossby waves, causing both warmer and colder temps at mid-latitudes - anybody remember last spring's weather?  So the "hiatus" AND last spring's cold snap in North America were both the product of global warming.

And the Arctic Ocean is still losing ice cover.  It's going to have an effect, though right now, I'm not sure what that's going to be.  Somehow, I don't think it's going to be good.
Doug

It was settled 20 years ago and 10 years ago yet they keep finding things they never knew before.  Settled my ass.

Nice midterms democrats.  As Pelosi says, "Embrace the suck".

#10    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 18,694 posts

• Hey, I'm not wrong. I'm just not completely right.

Posted 22 August 2014 - 06:57 PM

View PostDoug1o29, on 22 August 2014 - 05:41 PM, said:

And it IS settled science, in case you haven't been keeping up.  The articles have been coming out over the last six months.  Warmer SSTs in the Atlantic (caused by guess what) have intensified the trade winds that push warm water westward in the Pacific.  As a result, a warm pool has developed in the western Pacific, impeding the westward flow of more warm water.  That water, with no place else to go, flows below the warm pool and into the deep ocean, warming it.  

And how long could that last? It seems to me that the deep ocean is plenty cold, and could absorb quite a lot of heat.

Here at Intel we make processors on 12 inch wafers. And, the individual processors on the wafers are called die. And, I am employed to check these die. That is why I am the DieChecker.

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Qualifications? This is cryptozoology, dammit! All that is required is the spirit of adventure. - Night Walker

#11    Doug1o29

Doug1o29

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,485 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 07:07 PM

View PostMerc14, on 22 August 2014 - 06:08 PM, said:

It was settled 20 years ago and 10 years ago yet they keep finding things they never knew before.  Settled my ass.
Let's get specific.  Just what do you think was settled 20 years ago?  That would be about 1994.

At that time, I was a denier. I really hadn't thought about it, but some of my nuttier friends were into global warming, so I assumed that they were just jumping on the bandwagon and were wrong, as usual.  But then I discovered there was real science behind the idea and that it all made sense, at least, most of it.

Ten years ago:  what was it that was discovered ten years ago?  At that time temps had stalled.  The slow rise in global surface temps began in 2005, so for all anybody knew, the "hiatus" might be permanent.  At that time, there simply wasn't an explanation.

But in your defense:  nothing in science is ever finally and permanently settled.  Any time somebody wants to reopen an old issue, or refine it a little, he is welcome to have a go at it.  What you are currently reading are nothing more than nuances to the over-all theory.  Just refinements.  And these, we can expect will continue.

BTW:  The reference made by the UM-Bot is to an article on UM.  The machine is playing with itself.  I would be suspicious of somebody (or some THING) that couldn't find anybody else to quote.
Doug

If I have seen farther than other men, it is because I stood on the shoulders of giants. --Bernard de Chartres
The beginning of knowledge is the realization that one doesn't and cannot know everything.

#12    Nzo

Nzo

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 07:08 PM

Many people do not believe in climate change. I on the other hand realize that with all things in this universe, we deal with probabilities. There is a phenomena going on, and scientists believe it will lead to global warming and ultimately global calamities. The other side believes that this is a natural occurrence in the cycle of planet earth and that just as it warms it will cool off etc. Who is right? Who knows? We are all just trying to predict the future and things to come. Then we have the 'other' group that says its aliens, or some other strange phenomena causing these climate changes.

In the end we have three blind men trying to describe an elephant. I am prone to listening to the blind man(who invented the stick, among other useful contraptions) that says, 'you probably don't want to stand in front of this object, whatever it may be, it looks to have legs that can trample you.'

#13    Doug1o29

Doug1o29

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,485 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 07:12 PM

View PostDieChecker, on 22 August 2014 - 06:57 PM, said:

And how long could that last? It seems to me that the deep ocean is plenty cold, and could absorb quite a lot of heat.
How long could it last?  Maybe a long time.  Like you say, the oceans can hold a lot of heat.  The 50s hiatus lasted 26 years and was accompanied by drought, just as this one is.  Another fifteen years?  Maybe.  Permanently?  Probably not.  Big as they are, the oceans' capacity is finite.  The energy has to go somewhere.

Climate shifts in the past seem to have been driven by changes in ocean circulation.  I expect that will be the cause of the next one.
Doug

#14    Doug1o29

Doug1o29

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,485 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 07:22 PM

View PostNzo, on 22 August 2014 - 07:08 PM, said:

Many people do not believe in climate change. I on the other hand realize that with all things in this universe, we deal with probabilities. There is a phenomena going on, and scientists believe it will lead to global warming and ultimately global calamities. The other side believes that this is a natural occurrence in the cycle of planet earth and that just as it warms it will cool off etc. Who is right? Who knows?
There is a statistical process called partial analysis of variance that allows one to separate a signal into components and determine how much is coming from where.  That is how we know how much warming is human caused and how much is natural.  The process requires a dependent variable (temperatures) and a matching set of observations for each suspected independent variable, like solar irradiance, CO2 concentrations in the air, precipitation, etc.  One first creates a "full-model" that uses all the available variables and determines how much variation they explain.  Then one-by-one we take out variables in different orders and see how much is left.  That's how we know that CO2 is the problem.  As CO2 comes mostly from human activities, we have our explanation.
Doug

#15    spud the mackem

spud the mackem

Spud the Mackem

• 3,587 posts

• man who ask for nothing shall never be disappointed

Posted 22 August 2014 - 10:29 PM

All these scientific statements on global warming can be summed up in one sentence....They haven't a bloody clue.

(1) try your best, ............if that dont work.
(2) try your second best, ........if that dont work
(3) give up you aint gonna win

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users