Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Rosetta: Landing site search narrows

comets churyumov–gerasimenko rosetta philae esa

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 32,100 posts

• We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

Oscar Wilde

Posted 25 August 2014 - 07:49 PM

Rosetta: Landing site search narrows

www.esa.int said:

25 August 2014 Using detailed information collected by ESA’s Rosetta spacecraft during its first two weeks at Comet 67P/Churyumov-Gerasimenko, five locations have been identified as candidate sites to set down the Philae lander in November – the first time a landing on a comet has ever been attempted.

Before arrival, Comet 67P/Churyumov-Gerasimenko had never been seen close up and so the race to find a suitable landing site for the 100 kg lander could only begin when Rosetta rendezvoused with the comet on 6 August.                

Posted Image Read more...

"Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-boggingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the street to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space." - The Hitch-Hikers Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Posted Image
Click on button

#2    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 32,100 posts

Oscar Wilde

Posted 25 August 2014 - 07:53 PM

I have up loaded the images of the landing sites to the Asteroids and Comets section of UM Space Exploration gallery:

"Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-boggingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the street to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space." - The Hitch-Hikers Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Posted Image
Click on button

#3    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 32,100 posts

Oscar Wilde

Posted 26 August 2014 - 10:11 AM

The first image in the post above "Philae candidate landing sites" actually comprises of three separate images. ESA has now released them individually and unannotated:

Edited by Waspie_Dwarf, 26 August 2014 - 10:15 AM.

Posted Image
Click on button

#4    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 32,100 posts

Oscar Wilde

Posted 27 August 2014 - 09:22 PM

A new image:

Posted Image
Click on button

#5    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 32,100 posts

Oscar Wilde

Posted 01 September 2014 - 03:38 PM

It's been a while but ESA have finally released another new image:

Posted Image
Click on button

#6    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 32,100 posts

Oscar Wilde

Posted 04 September 2014 - 02:02 PM

Today we have four images I missed (the individual images that make up the montage from the above post) followed by a new montage and individual images

Posted Image
Click on button

#7    AZDZ

AZDZ

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 576 posts

• Hatching soon...

Posted 04 September 2014 - 05:04 PM

Spellbinding!

I remember back in the olden days when Halley's graced the cover of Astronomy Magazine, I poured over those images with a magnifying glass trying to discern detail but now, here, the naked eye details are beyond my wildest dreams for how a cometary surface might appear. :)

never say never, because anything is possible

Please note: I am not Anti-Government. I hold no affiliation with Conspiracy Theorists.
My opinions are my own based on my experiences only. While I do wonder why they continue

to hold positions they do, I also think they believe they are doing the right thing.

#8    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 32,100 posts

Oscar Wilde

Posted 08 September 2014 - 05:04 PM

Some more images.

The first is a ground-based telescope image of the comet, then we have more images from Rosetta. The second on the list, Comet on 5 September 2014, is a close-up and is amazing.

Edited by Waspie_Dwarf, 08 September 2014 - 05:05 PM.

Posted Image
Click on button

#9    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 32,100 posts

Oscar Wilde

Posted 11 September 2014 - 01:59 AM

Just one new image this time, but an interesting one. This is taken from a camera on the Philae lander and shows the comet in the background and parts of Rosetta in the foreground.

Posted Image
Click on button

#10    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 32,100 posts

Oscar Wilde

Posted 11 September 2014 - 04:15 PM

Another new image:

Posted Image
Click on button

#11    toast

toast

President of the Galaxy

• 2,829 posts

• WARNING!REALITY ADVISORY!
    Posts by this user may contain
    statements that may offend
    publishers of pics/clips of
    supposed UFO/alien sightings.

Posted 11 September 2014 - 04:32 PM

View PostWaspie_Dwarf, on 11 September 2014 - 01:59 AM, said:

Just one new image this time, but an interesting one. This is taken from a camera on the Philae lander and shows the comet in the background and parts of Rosetta in the foreground.

Thats amazing!
:tu:

Edited by toast, 11 September 2014 - 04:32 PM.

"I think enormous harm is done by religion – not just in the name of religion, but actually by religion." - Steven Weinberg -  
"Don't kill the golden goose." - Malcolm McLaren -
"I am discounting the reports of UFOs. Why would they appear only to cranks and weirdos?" - Stephen Hawking -
"Good drivers do have smashed insects on the side windows" - Walter Röhrl -

#12    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 32,100 posts

Oscar Wilde

Posted 11 September 2014 - 04:53 PM

View Posttoast, on 11 September 2014 - 04:32 PM, said:

Thats amazing!
:tu:
That's not the first selfie that Rosetta/Philae has taken.

Back in 2007 it took a similar image (this time in colour) as it passed over Mars. See THIS POST from 2008.

Posted Image
Click on button

#13    toast

toast

President of the Galaxy

• 2,829 posts

• WARNING!REALITY ADVISORY!
    Posts by this user may contain
    statements that may offend
    publishers of pics/clips of
    supposed UFO/alien sightings.

Posted 11 September 2014 - 05:04 PM

View PostWaspie_Dwarf, on 11 September 2014 - 04:53 PM, said:

That's not the first selfie that Rosetta/Philae has taken.

Back in 2007 it took a similar image (this time in colour) as it passed over Mars. See THIS POST from 2008.
Thats nice as well but the other is so, how to say, its so "Kubrick".

"I think enormous harm is done by religion – not just in the name of religion, but actually by religion." - Steven Weinberg -  
"Don't kill the golden goose." - Malcolm McLaren -
"I am discounting the reports of UFOs. Why would they appear only to cranks and weirdos?" - Stephen Hawking -
"Good drivers do have smashed insects on the side windows" - Walter Röhrl -

#14    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 32,100 posts

Oscar Wilde

Posted 12 September 2014 - 09:22 PM

Rosetta landing site choices

On 15 September the Rosetta mission will announce the primary and back up landing sites for comet 67P/Churyumov-Gerasimenko. The film previews the five shortlisted landing sites, why they were selected and how the comet’s unusual ‘duck’ shape affected the choice.

The Rosetta orbiter has been studying the comet since May and choosing the right place to land is crucial in order to examine the comet further. The orbiter’s data – together with that from the Philae lander – will provide unprecedented insights into our solar system.

The film also covers the preparation by scientists, members of the mission control team at the European Space Operations Centre at Darmstadt, in Germany, and the challenges ahead.

More background information can be found on: http://www.esa.int/O...Science/Rosetta

Credit: ESA

Source: ESA - Space in Videos

Posted Image
Click on button

#15    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 32,100 posts

Oscar Wilde

Posted 12 September 2014 - 09:24 PM

Philae’s descent and science on the surface

The animation begins with the deployment of Philae from Rosetta at comet 67P/Churyumov–Gerasimenko in November 2014. It will take several hours for to reach the surface. Because of the comet’s extremely low gravity, landing gear will absorb the small forces of landing while ice screws in the probe’s feet and a harpoon system will lock the probe to the surface. At the same time a thruster on top of the lander will push it down to counteract the impulse of the harpoon imparted in the opposite direction. Once it is anchored to the comet, the lander will begin its primary science mission, based on its 64-hour initial battery lifetime. The animation shows a number of the science instruments in action on the surface.

Rosetta’s Philae lander is provided by a consortium led by DLR, MPS, CNES and ASI.

Credit: ESA/ATG medialab

Source: ESA - Space in Videos

Posted Image
Click on button

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users