Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 4 votes

Pilots see mystery glow over Pacific Ocean

• Please log in to reply
106 replies to this topic

#1    seeder

seeder

Nut Cracker

• 14,101 posts

• Never forget that only the weak fish swim with the stream, and a lie travels half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes.

Posted 26 August 2014 - 03:27 PM

POPULAR

Mystery glow over the Pacific Ocean: Pilots left baffled by strange orange and red lights spotted in the dead of night

Strange lights have been spotted near the Russian peninsula of Kamchatka
    The sighting was made by pilots flying from Hong Kong to Alaska
   The glow came about 20 minutes after a vertical lightning bolt was seen
    Dutch pilot van Heijst ruled out squid-fishing-boats as the origin
    He says the cause may have been an underwater volcano
    An ongoing investigation is taking place to find out what happened

Dutch pilot JPC van Heijst explained on PBase how, five hours into the ten-hour flight, they spotted an intense flash of light like a lightning bolt, directed vertically up in the distance.

This was then followed by a deep red and orange glow 20 minutes later.

And the experience left van Heijst somewhat perturbed, owing to the lack of an explanation for what happened.

http://www.dailymail...l#ixzz3BVp7S0Wi

It wasn’t the miners who got rich; it was the people selling picks and shovels. Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored
It's not the depth of the rabbit hole that bugs me... It's all the rabbit poop you stumble over on your way down...
“It's easier to fool people - than to convince them that they have been fooled.”  Mark Twain

"The tragedy of life is not that it ends so soon, but that we wait so long to begin it"

#2    StRoostifer

StRoostifer

Roo

• 4,361 posts

• "Our houses are such unwieldy property that we are often imprisoned rather than housed in them."

Posted 26 August 2014 - 03:56 PM

This planet is truly amazing. I think that given the location of the plane inside the ring of fire, the volcano idea is a pretty good place to start. I'm looking forward to seeing what the investigation turns up on this. Thanks for posting this, it was a very interesting read.

#3    FollowTheTrail

FollowTheTrail

Female Body Inspector

• 2,587 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 04:01 PM

Truly amazing! :)

Even in the darkest of times there's always a trail, which leads to the light!

#4    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 23,786 posts

• Hey, I'm not wrong. I'm just not completely right.

Posted 26 August 2014 - 06:57 PM

Underwater volcano is the first thing I thought of also.

Pictures are amazing.

A true Unexplained Mystery at this point.

Edited by DieChecker, 26 August 2014 - 07:02 PM.

Here at Intel we make processors on 12 inch wafers. And, the individual processors on the wafers are called die. And, I am employed to check these die. That is why I am the DieChecker.

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Qualifications? This is cryptozoology, dammit! All that is required is the spirit of adventure. - Night Walker

#5    Hammerclaw

Hammerclaw

Far Traveler

• 5,311 posts

• "Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

Posted 26 August 2014 - 07:06 PM

Curious. The military exploded a hypersonic weapon test vehicle a minute or so after launch after detecting an anomaly from their Kodiak test facility at 4AM local time on the 25th.

#6    Sundew

Sundew

Poltergeist

• 2,503 posts

• Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectos Nunc

Posted 26 August 2014 - 07:10 PM

A volcano seems like a good candidate except for one thing, Any lava that bright near the sea surface would be belching steam and ash from the sea surface, I see none in the photos.

This one really is a mystery. I think you can rule out bioluminescent, most sea organisms produce green light and it's rather dim by comparison. Perhaps lightning set off some methane gas bubbling up from the sea floor, but that supposedly has a blue flame. Very creepy when you see the photos.

#7    DefenceMinisterMishkin

DefenceMinisterMishkin

Megalodon Trapper

• Banned
  • 4,590 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 07:20 PM

Pilots see the craziest sh!t :lol:

Posted Image

#8    seeder

seeder

Nut Cracker

• 14,101 posts

• Never forget that only the weak fish swim with the stream, and a lie travels half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes.

Posted 26 August 2014 - 07:25 PM

Love a story like this !!

It wasn’t the miners who got rich; it was the people selling picks and shovels. Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored
It's not the depth of the rabbit hole that bugs me... It's all the rabbit poop you stumble over on your way down...
“It's easier to fool people - than to convince them that they have been fooled.”  Mark Twain

"The tragedy of life is not that it ends so soon, but that we wait so long to begin it"

#9    Hammerclaw

Hammerclaw

Far Traveler

• 5,311 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 07:31 PM

Reminds me of a book called Out of the Deeps, by John Wyndham. It's about an alien aquatic race that begins colonizing out deep ocean trenches and comes into conflict with the land dwelling humans they had hitherto been unaware of.

"An atheist, like a Christian, holds that we can know whether or not there is a God. The Christian holds that we can know there is a God; the atheist, that we can know there is not. The Agnostic suspends judgment, saying that there are not sufficient grounds either for affirmation or for denial."

#10    Atuke

Atuke

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 866 posts

• N 41' 26' 24.74"
    W 123' 42' 05.34"

Posted 26 August 2014 - 08:56 PM

Cthulhu

Cthulhu

#11    pallidin

pallidin

Omnipotent Entity

• 9,080 posts

• "When life gets you down... swim with a dolphin"

Posted 26 August 2014 - 10:21 PM

Wow. Mother Nature sure is amazing at times.

#12    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 23,786 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 10:28 PM

View Postbobb73, on 26 August 2014 - 08:56 PM, said:

Cthulhu

Cthulhu

Nah, that is sickly yellowish green light. :alien:

Here at Intel we make processors on 12 inch wafers. And, the individual processors on the wafers are called die. And, I am employed to check these die. That is why I am the DieChecker.

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Qualifications? This is cryptozoology, dammit! All that is required is the spirit of adventure. - Night Walker

#13    stereologist

stereologist

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,179 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 11:20 PM

The idea of a volcano seems off because of the size of the area that glows. That would be a pretty big volcano. You'd think such a large flow would be registered by seismic stations.

#14    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 23,786 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 12:57 AM

Submerged SHIELD Helicarrier?

#15    Hammerclaw

Hammerclaw

Far Traveler

• 5,311 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 01:35 AM

View Postbobb73, on 26 August 2014 - 08:56 PM, said:

Cthulhu

Cthulhu
"That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange eons even death may die."

"An atheist, like a Christian, holds that we can know whether or not there is a God. The Christian holds that we can know there is a God; the atheist, that we can know there is not. The Agnostic suspends judgment, saying that there are not sufficient grounds either for affirmation or for denial."

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users