Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Girl, 9, kills shooting instructor

• Please log in to reply
278 replies to this topic

#1    OverSword

OverSword

Forum Divinity

• 13,276 posts

• When the power of love overcomes the love of power then humanity can evolve

Posted 26 August 2014 - 10:48 PM

From the article:

TUCSON Ariz. (Reuters) - A 9-year-old girl accidentally shot and killed her shooting instructor at an Arizona range with an Israeli-made Uzi submachine gun when the weapon's strong recoil caused her to lose control of her aim, police said on Tuesday.
They said that Charles Vacca, 39, had been standing next to the girl at the Last Stop shooting range in White Hills near the Nevada border on Monday morning showing her how to fire the automatic weapon.
When she pulled the trigger, the recoil forced her aim over her head, and Vacca was shot in the head, according to a Mohave County Sheriff’s Office statement.
Vacca was airlifted to nearby Las Vegas, where he was pronounced dead. A spokesman for the sheriff’s department did not know how many times Vacca was shot or what model of Uzi the girl was firing.
Some Uzi models are capable of firing up to 1,700 rounds per minute, or almost 30 rounds per second, according to the manufacturer’s website.
The girl, whom police did not identify, was at the outdoor range with her parents.
Last Stop, which includes a restaurant, bar and RV park, has a “Burgers and Bullets” program that offers customers lunch with a trip to the range, where they can choose from among more than 20 automatic weapons to shoot, according to its website.

Link

#2    OverSword

OverSword

Forum Divinity

• 13,276 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 10:50 PM

POPULAR

My favorite part: “Burgers and Bullets” program that offers customers lunch with a trip to the range

Why would you let a little girl fire a fully automatic weapon?  Another Darwin moment.

#3    libstaK

libstaK

Nosce Te Ipsum

• 6,797 posts

• Hello Reality and all that is True
    When Oxymoron was defined it was just for you

Posted 26 August 2014 - 10:55 PM

How he failed to see the possibility of the recoil causing bullets to run amock is beyond me, I know it would be my greatest fear if I was holding and shooting such a weapon fgs.

And would it not make sense to use blanks if you are training someone on a weapon for the first time - especially a child?

"I warn you, whoever you are, oh you who wish to probe the arcanes of nature, if you do not find within yourself that which you seek, neither shall you find it outside.
If you ignore the excellencies of your own house, how do you intend to find other excellencies?
In you is hidden the treasure of treasures, Oh man, know thyself and you shall know the Universe and the Gods."

Inscription - Temple of Delphi

#4    OverSword

OverSword

Forum Divinity

• 13,276 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 10:56 PM

View PostlibstaK, on 26 August 2014 - 10:55 PM, said:

How he failed to see the possibility of the recoil causing bullets to run amock is beyond me, I know it would be my greatest fear if I was holding and shooting such a weapon fgs.

And would it not make sense to use blanks if you are training someone on a weapon for the first time - especially a child?
It defies all common sense.  Can you imagine how that little girl will be affected by this as time goes by?

#5    amaterasu

amaterasu

Government Agent

• 3,626 posts

• "Recedite, plebes! Gero rem imperialem!"

Posted 26 August 2014 - 11:02 PM

POPULAR

What on earth were the people who facilitated this would think would happen if you put a nine year old child behind an uzi?

The kid is the victim, she is forever going to have to live with killing a man on fabulously fun family day out?

eta

I had  ...note had.... been a holder of a firearm in the UK until 1996 when there was an amnesty after Dunblane. I had been shooting since the age of 10 (pistols) and reloading ammo for years before that but I would never allow any of my children to fire an automatic weapon ..... shame on them all involved!

Edited by amaterasu, 26 August 2014 - 11:28 PM.

* Group logo removed, please see rule 3i *

#6    spartan max2

spartan max2

Poltergeist

• 2,635 posts

• There's nothing so absurd that if you repeat it often enough

Posted 26 August 2014 - 11:14 PM

I'm all for gun rights but really does your nine year old need to shoot an uzi.  Like wtf

" I imagine that the intellegent people are the ones so intellegent that they dont even need or want to look "intellegent" anymore".
Criss Jami

#7    OverSword

OverSword

Forum Divinity

• 13,276 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 11:40 PM

I don't want to speak too negatively of the dead which is limiting my ability to comment honestly.

#8    aztek

aztek

Majestic 12 Operative

• 5,872 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 11:51 PM

it was an accident, thousands of kids, use guns under supervision and do not shoot anyone, accidents happen, even among trained professionals.

RESIDENT TROLL.

#9    Lilly

Lilly

Forum Divinity

• 16,295 posts

• "To thine own self be true" William Shakespeare

Posted 27 August 2014 - 12:27 AM

POPULAR

You have to be 16 years old to get behind the wheel of a car...but a 9 year old is allowed to shoot an Uzi. Does anyone else see this as problematic? I certainly do.

"Ignorance is ignorance. It is a state of mind, not an opinion." ~MID~

"All that live must die, passing through nature into eternity" ~Shakespeare~ Posted Image

#10    bubblykiss

bubblykiss

Last Among Equals

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,178 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 12:34 AM

I was helping babysit my nephews (5 &7) along with my mother. She gave them needles with the hopes of teaching them how to sow.

The 7 y-o lost his immediately. Needle gone.

I would not trust a 9 y-o with a needle, much less a weapon of life ending potential.

But then again, I don't drink paint in my spare time either. So who am I to judge?

After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. I sure as hell wouldn't want to live in a society where the only people allowed guns are the police and the military.

William S. Burroughs

#11    OverSword

OverSword

Forum Divinity

• 13,276 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 01:00 AM

View PostLilly, on 27 August 2014 - 12:27 AM, said:

You have to be 16 years old to get behind the wheel of a car...but a 9 year old is allowed to shoot an Uzi. Does anyone else see this as problematic? I certainly do.
That's not true.  You can drive at any age but not on the road until you are licensed.  I shot my first gun at 9 or 10.

#12    White Crane Feather

White Crane Feather

Forum Divinity

• 11,163 posts

• Potter: " is this real or is this in my mind?"

Dumbledore: " Of course it's in your mind....., but that dosn't mean it's not real."

Posted 27 August 2014 - 01:32 AM

When I fired my first weapon, at about nine. Someone was holding my hands, and my sister was also in the mix with her fingers in my ears.
A 9 year old with an Uzi. ?????? Not sure about that one there are other weapons to learn on.

Edited by White Crane Feather, 27 August 2014 - 01:34 AM.

"I wish neither to possess, Nor to be possessed. I no longer covet paradise, more important, I no longer fear hell. The medicine for my suffering I had within me from the very beginning, but I did not take it. My ailment came from within myself, But I did not observe it until this moment. Now I see that I will never find the light.  Unless, like the candle, I am my own fuel, Consuming myself. "
Bruce Lee-

#13    Kaikou

Kaikou

The Akuma Plant

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,733 posts

• What If you could look right through the cracks....

Posted 27 August 2014 - 01:35 AM

Just a little bit of thought goes a long way.

#14    Kazahel

Kazahel

Government Agent

• 3,985 posts

• What need is there of seeing, in the presence of His gratitude?

Posted 27 August 2014 - 01:35 AM

I was telling my son about a similar incident not even a week ago. I was telling him how I thought it was crazy they allow young kids to fire those types of weapons.

I will never forget the first time I read about something like this happening.  Do you guys remember this one..

http://www.foxnews.c...zi-at-gun-show/

The father must be haunted from that and this girl probably will be too.

Edited by Kazahel, 27 August 2014 - 01:37 AM.

#15    Likely Guy

Likely Guy

Undecided, mostly.

• 4,656 posts

• I might have been born yesterday but, I've been up all night.

Posted 27 August 2014 - 01:54 AM

View PostOverSword, on 26 August 2014 - 10:56 PM, said:

It defies all common sense.  Can you imagine how that little girl will be affected by this as time goes by?

Common sense went alackin' that day. What stupid tool would put that thing in a child's hands?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users