Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

North Dakota Universities Crumble

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 35,625 posts

• In a flat world there is an explanation to everything.

Posted 27 August 2014 - 06:07 PM

Bloomberg said:

North Dakota is struggling to finance deteriorating public universities even as it experiences the biggest energy boom in its history, raising concern that less prosperous states will face more serious funding challenges.

Students returning this week will attend classes in buildings without adequate ventilation or fire detection systems and in historic landmarks with buckling foundations. A space crunch is making it difficult for researchers to obtain grants and putting the accreditation of several programs at risk, administrators say.

“It’s embarrassing,” said North Dakota state Representative Kathy Hawken, a Republican from Fargo who sits on the higher education funding and budget committees. “We have a divided legislature on higher ed: Some think we put too much money into it and some think we don’t put enough. Buildings aren’t people, so we don’t put dollars there.”

Read more

A skeptic is a well informed believer and a pessimist a well informed optimist
The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#2    aztek

aztek

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,112 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 06:34 PM

those greedy oil companies, how dare they not to throw money at schools. they have to be all republicans. lmao.  "sarcasm"
'

RESIDENT TROLL.

#3    supervike

supervike

Alien Abducter

• 5,491 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 07:26 PM

And I'm sure college tuition hasn't changed in years....

Colleges, while apparently necessary, are one of the biggest scams of our hard earned money.  From the ridiculous cost of tuition, to the books/lab/parking/housing fees, to the ridiculous cost to keep the football teams.

If a college isn't making money hand over fist, then they need a good hard look at their accounting books.

#4    Bama13

Bama13

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,708 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 07:39 PM

View Postsupervike, on 27 August 2014 - 07:26 PM, said:

And I'm sure college tuition hasn't changed in years....

Colleges, while apparently necessary, are one of the biggest scams of our hard earned money.  From the ridiculous cost of tuition, to the books/lab/parking/housing fees, to the ridiculous cost to keep the football teams.

If a college isn't making money hand over fist, then they need a good hard look at their accounting books.

Unless the football teams actually make money, which many/most do. Some athletic departments (not many, around 12 or so each year) make money that goes back into the general fund for the school. For those ADs that don't, most do not because of the non-revenue sports (baseball, swimming, tennis, golf, all women's sports, etc) and not because of football or basketball.

" Mighty little force is needed to control a man whose mind has been hoodwinked; contrariwise, no amount of force can control a free man, a man whose mind is free. No, not the rack, not fission bombs, not anything —you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is kill him" - Robert Heinlein

#5    Sir Wearer of Hats

Sir Wearer of Hats

SCIENCE!

• 10,808 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 09:31 PM

View Postaztek, on 27 August 2014 - 06:34 PM, said:

those greedy oil companies, how dare they not to throw money at schools. they have to be all republicans. lmao.  "sarcasm"
'
I think the OP's saying that the state's raking in cash hand over fist, but none of it's going to the colleges.
Now, this (once again) might be a result of our different cultures, but when a state government gets a financial windfall here, that cash is very quickly spent on making the government look good so it'll get re-elected vital infrastructure projects like universities and schools.

I must not fear. Fear is the Mind-Killer. It is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and to move through me. And when it is gone I will turn the inner eye to see it's path.
When the fear is gone, there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users