Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Bringing back the Inquisition...

henry kamen christianity church history

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
138 replies to this topic

#1    Jor-el

Jor-el

Knight of the Most High God

• 7,785 posts

• We are the sum of all that is, and has been. We will be the sum of our choices.

Posted 01 September 2014 - 09:27 PM

I have recently been wondering about the Inquisition and its effects on Europe and especially the church. After reading some interesting information, which I will add in a moment, I came to realize that the Inquisition does indeed have a place in Church Doctrine of the present day and that it would probably be a good idea to start up Ecclesiastical Tribunals again, because all things considered they did more for the Christian church than others may think.

So this is in essence a proposal to see if such a view would be welcome by all.

The term Inquisition comes from Medieval Latin "inquisitio", which referred to any court process that was based on Roman law, which had gradually come back into usage in the late medieval period. Today, the English term "Inquisition" can apply to any one of several institutions which worked against heretics (or other offenders against canon law) within the judicial system of the Roman Catholic Church. Although the term Inquisition is usually applied to ecclesiastical courts of the Catholic Church, nonetheless it has several different usages:
  • an ecclesiastical tribunal,
  • the institution of the Catholic Church for combating heresy,
  • a number of historical expurgation movements against heresy (orchestrated by some groups/individuals within the Catholic Church or within a Catholic state), or
  • the trial of an individual accused of heresy.

The Spanish Inquisition: A Historical Revision by Henry Kamen

Posted Image

Since the sixteenth century, the Spanish Inquisition has been synonymous with terror, bigotry, and persecution. In this book, a renowned historian sweeps away old misconceptions and presents a new view of this notorious and fascinating period.

Henry Kamen reassesses the significance and consequences of the expulsion of the Jews and also argues that there is little evidence for the alleged Jewishness of the conversos who were the Inquisition’s first victims. He presents a major revision of the impact of blood purity prejudices on Spanish society, revises the figures given for execution of heretics by the tribunal, and examines the amount of Spanish persecution in the context of executions in neighboring countries. He gives a completely new picture of the infamous censorship system, showing it to be much less effective than is often presented, and he investigates the role played by foreign propaganda in the creation of the diabolic image of the Inquisition. Kamen reconstructs the atmosphere of fear and oppression that typified the period, relating it to the fear generated by community tensions. He also demonstrates for the first time that the famous auto-da-fe was not a product of traditional Spanish piety but a deliberate tool of the inquisitors, invented in the sixteenth century in order to boost their political standing.

PS -  The reason why I view the return of the Inquisition in a positive light is that it would help many people return to God and the Church. It would end the rabid immorality in our world, bringing back piety and holiness to the Family and its values. It would end prostitution and drunkenness and its would bring back a new sense of morality to the world.

Women would dress in a way that would befit their status instead of looking like prostitutes. Men would be courteous to them, all because of the Inquisition.

Posted Image

"Man is not the centre. God does not exist for the sake of man. Man does not exist for his own sake."

-C. S. Lewis

#2    bubblykiss

bubblykiss

Last Among Equals

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,263 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 09:33 PM

Nothing makes me more faithful then getting to eat a face full of flames.

Ignorant people think it's the noise which fighting cats make that is so aggravating, but it ain't so; it's the sickening grammar they use.
Mark Twain

#3    Jor-el

Jor-el

• 7,785 posts

• We are the sum of all that is, and has been. We will be the sum of our choices.

Posted 01 September 2014 - 09:36 PM

View Postbubblykiss, on 01 September 2014 - 09:33 PM, said:

Nothing makes me more faithful then getting to eat a face full of flames.

See that's a step in the right direction. Fear of God is the beginning of Wisdom... :tu:

Posted Image

"Man is not the centre. God does not exist for the sake of man. Man does not exist for his own sake."

-C. S. Lewis

#4    Paranoid Android

Paranoid Android

????????

• 25,928 posts

• Paranoid Android... One Mippippi, two Mippippi, three Mippipi....

Posted 01 September 2014 - 10:01 PM

Hmm, revisit the  Inquisition, bring back the Crusades, soon we'll be back to selling indulgences :whistle:

Posted Image

My blog is now taking a new direction.  Dedicated to my father who was a great inspiration in my life, I wish to honour his memory (RIP, dad) by sharing with the world what he had always kept to himself.  More details, http://www.unexplain...showentry=27811

#5    Sir Wearer of Hats

Sir Wearer of Hats

SCIENCE!

• 10,771 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 10:03 PM

The Inquisition never went away, it got a new PR department and changed it's name to (IIRC) the Doctrine of the Faithful.
Most recently, it was headed by some German called Ratzinger, I wonder what he's doing with himself now?

I must not fear. Fear is the Mind-Killer. It is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and to move through me. And when it is gone I will turn the inner eye to see it's path.
When the fear is gone, there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.

#6    Jor-el

Jor-el

• 7,785 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 10:05 PM

View PostParanoid Android, on 01 September 2014 - 10:01 PM, said:

Hmm, revisit the  Inquisition, bring back the Crusades, soon we'll be back to selling indulgences :whistle:

Some of do try to see the positive side of things PA.

Posted Image

-C. S. Lewis

#7    shadowhive

shadowhive

Government Agent

• 3,956 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 10:07 PM

In another recent threadyou said that the secualrsystem was the best we had. Now you're calling for the inquisition to be bought back which m#would essentially end up not just a secondary system,but would also fight it.

I always find it troubling when someone wants a religious movement to fight 'immorality'.

So just take off that disguise, everyone knows that you're only, pretty on the outside
Where are those droideka?
No one can tell you who you are
"There's the trouble with fanatics. They're easy to manipulate, but somehow they take everything five steps too far."
"The circumstances of one's birth are irrelevent, it's what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are."

#8    Jor-el

Jor-el

• 7,785 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 10:07 PM

View PostSir Wearer of Hats, on 01 September 2014 - 10:03 PM, said:

The Inquisition never went away, it got a new PR department and changed it's name to (IIRC) the Doctrine of the Faithful.
Most recently, it was headed by some German called Ratzinger, I wonder what he's doing with himself now?

Retired, working on his memoirs.

Yeah but at the moment it actually does nothing at all, it's just a name. I'm thinking more along the lines of bringing it back to its former glory.

Posted Image

-C. S. Lewis

#9    Jor-el

Jor-el

• 7,785 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 10:11 PM

View Postshadowhive, on 01 September 2014 - 10:07 PM, said:

In another recent threadyou said that the secualrsystem was the best we had. Now you're calling for the inquisition to be bought back which m#would essentially end up not just a secondary system,but would also fight it.

I always find it troubling when someone wants a religious movement to fight 'immorality'.

Well the secular system is pretty good, but it doesn't really defend the interests of morality, and it can be abused and twisted if there aren't moral people protecting it.

Posted Image

-C. S. Lewis

#10    shadowhive

shadowhive

Government Agent

• 3,956 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 10:14 PM

View PostJor-el, on 01 September 2014 - 10:11 PM, said:

Well the secular system is pretty good, but it doesn't really defend the interests of morality, and it can be abused and twisted if there aren't moral people protecting it.

And religious institutions have never abused people in the name of morality right?

So just take off that disguise, everyone knows that you're only, pretty on the outside
Where are those droideka?
No one can tell you who you are
"There's the trouble with fanatics. They're easy to manipulate, but somehow they take everything five steps too far."
"The circumstances of one's birth are irrelevent, it's what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are."

#11    Paranoid Android

Paranoid Android

????????

• 25,928 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 10:19 PM

View PostJor-el, on 01 September 2014 - 10:05 PM, said:

Some of do try to see the positive side of things PA.
There's nothing positive about torturing people with different moral compasses than your own.

Posted Image

My blog is now taking a new direction.  Dedicated to my father who was a great inspiration in my life, I wish to honour his memory (RIP, dad) by sharing with the world what he had always kept to himself.  More details, http://www.unexplain...showentry=27811

#12    Jor-el

Jor-el

• 7,785 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 10:31 PM

View Postshadowhive, on 01 September 2014 - 10:14 PM, said:

And religious institutions have never abused people in the name of morality right?

Of course it has happened intermittently, but those occasions are rare. The book I highlighted is clear, that the bad rep, was more a fear factor than actual. Overall it was a good system for keeping the Law honest.

Posted Image

-C. S. Lewis

#13    Jor-el

Jor-el

• 7,785 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 10:33 PM

View PostParanoid Android, on 01 September 2014 - 10:19 PM, said:

There's nothing positive about torturing people with different moral compasses than your own.

Of course there were positive aspects, You have merely bought into the bad rep stories spread over the ages.

This book is quite enlightening.

Posted Image

-C. S. Lewis

#14    Jor-el

Jor-el

• 7,785 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 10:38 PM

The Historical revision of the Inquisition is a historiographical project that started to emerge in the 1970s, with the opening of formerly closed archives, the development of new historical methodologies, and, in Spain, the death of the ruling dictator Francisco Franco in 1975. New works of historical revisionism changed our knowledge of the history of the Roman and Spanish Inquisitions.
Writers associated with this project share the view of Edward Peters, a prominent historian in the field, who states: "The Inquisition was an image assembled from a body of legends and myths which, between the sixteenth and the twentieth centuries, established the perceived character of inquisitorial tribunals and influenced all ensuing efforts to recover their historical reality."

From the Middle Ages well into the 17th century in Catholic Europe, the law stated that the worst offence that could be committed was that which threatened the unity and security of the Catholic Church, and most importantly, the salvation of souls.

Regardless of the century, inquisitions were ecclesiastical investigations conducted either directly by the Catholic Church or by secular authorities with the support of the Church. These investigations were undertaken at varying times in varying regions under the authority of the local bishop and his designates or under the sponsorship of papal-appointed legates. The purpose of each inquisition was specific to the outstanding circumstances of the region in which it was held. Investigations usually involved a legal process, the goal of which was to obtain a confession and reconciliation with the Church from those who were accused of heresy or of participating in activities contrary to Church Canon law. The objectives of the inquisitions were to secure the repentance of the accused and to maintain the authority of the Church. Inquisitions were conducted with the collaboration of secular authorities. If an investigation resulted in a person being convicted of heresy and unwillingness to repent punishment was administered by the secular authorities.

Posted Image

-C. S. Lewis

#15    Paranoid Android

Paranoid Android

????????

• 25,928 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 10:39 PM

View PostJor-el, on 01 September 2014 - 10:33 PM, said:

Of course there were positive aspects, You have merely bought into the bad rep stories spread over the ages.

This book is quite enlightening.
Are saying Jews and Muslims weren't given "convert or leave the country" ultimatums?

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users