Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Do Atheists die more difficult than Believers

final word of atheists final words of believers the process of dying fear pain

• Please log in to reply
392 replies to this topic

#1    Alan McDougall

Alan McDougall

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 610 posts

• The truth is the truth remains the truth no matter what we believe or do not believe the truth is the truth What then is the source of absolute truth?

Posted 02 September 2014 - 01:48 PM

I have done some research on the topic of comparing the lasts words and dying process of well known atheists and those of well known Christians/believers in the Abrahamic God.

I would like the forum to consider if the belief in God and a life after death, really gives comfort to those in their dying moments.

In my own family the Atheists members definitely died a more difficult prolonged and bleak lonely death. (That of course does not mean it is true in every case or every family)

However, the discussion need not be confined just to Christians on the religious side of the debate, any theist is welcome to contribute and indeed those who consider themselves as agnostics and have not made up their minds on the matter.

I have had a look at the death bed statement of religious believers and the death bed statements of atheists, but these are unverifiable and I will post some of them later, if the thread produces sufficient response and interest.

Thus do atheists have a more frightening painful death than believers?

My quote, "The truth is the truth remains the truth no matter what we believe or do not believe even in total ignorance the truth is the truth!  What is absolute Truth?  What is the source of absolute truth  What is the source of life
Let the unknown become known.
We must know what we do not know (And admit it)
Regards Alan

#2    bubblykiss

bubblykiss

Last Among Equals

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,192 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 02:00 PM

20m godless soviets of WW2 all seemed to have frightening, often horrific deaths. But one can ascribe that mostly to painful terrors of a violent death or even raw starvation.

After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. I sure as hell wouldn't want to live in a society where the only people allowed guns are the police and the military.

William S. Burroughs

#3    GreenmansGod

GreenmansGod

Bio-Electric sentient being.

• 9,732 posts

• May the laughter ye give today return to thee 3 fold.

Posted 02 September 2014 - 02:15 PM

You got and links to your research?  Death is never easy.  I don't understand what you mean by a bleak and lonely death. I knew a priest who died of cancer and it was a horrible and painful death.  My father was a atheist and he died in his sleep.  My mother was agnostic and she died a peaceful death.  My wife wasn't really religious. She believed in a God, but not in the way Christians do. She was ready and accepting of it.  
Toward the end even Christ had a hard time.   "My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?"

When I die I hope my last words are....

"The moment you declare a set of ideas to be immune from criticism, satire, derision, or contempt, freedom of thought becomes impossible." Salman Rushdie

#4    Alan McDougall

Alan McDougall

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 610 posts

• The truth is the truth remains the truth no matter what we believe or do not believe the truth is the truth What then is the source of absolute truth?

Posted 02 September 2014 - 02:23 PM

View Postbubblykiss, on 02 September 2014 - 02:00 PM, said:

20m godless soviets of WW2 all seemed to have frightening, often horrific deaths. But one can ascribe that mostly to painful terrors of a violent death or even raw starvation.

How do you know this? I think that statement is very wrong, most Russians soldiers, were not "Godless" most had a real belief in God but were forced to say they were atheists in fear of their lives from the communist state.

It is an ugly thing to say anyone is Godless, God if you believe in him created all humans and it is stupid to suggest he loves/loved the Soviet soldiers less than those of the USA.

In my opinion God does not take sides in human conflict, to do that he would have to take away our freewill.

My quote, "The truth is the truth remains the truth no matter what we believe or do not believe even in total ignorance the truth is the truth!  What is absolute Truth?  What is the source of absolute truth  What is the source of life
Regards Alan

#5    fullywired

fullywired

Government Agent

• 4,101 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 02:29 PM

View PostAlan McDougall, on 02 September 2014 - 01:48 PM, said:

I have done some research on the topic of comparing the lasts words and dying process of well known atheists and those of well known Christians/believers in the Abrahamic God.

I would like the forum to consider if the belief in God and a life after death, really gives comfort to those in their dying moments.

I don't doubt that some do because that is why some believers subscribe to an after life in the first place ,the thought of death scares the pants off them and the belief  that there is something else comforts them whereas the atheist knows this the end and understandingly are a little afraid .I don't understand the painful part of the question as each death differs ,some die painful deaths and whether your a believer or not does not alter that .the irony is ,we all end up the same no matter how we have lived our life or what.we have believed

fullywired

Posted Image  

"Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense."
-------Buddha (563 - 483 BC)

#6    Imaginarynumber1

Imaginarynumber1

I am not an irrational number

• 4,675 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 03:06 PM

None of us gets out of this alive.

"A cat has nine lives. For three he plays, for three he strays, and for the last three he stays."

July 17th, 2008 (Full moon the next night)

RAPTORS! http://www.unexplain...pic=233151&st=0

#7    Alan McDougall

Alan McDougall

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 610 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 04:08 PM

View PostImaginarynumber1, on 02 September 2014 - 03:06 PM, said:

None of us gets out of this alive.

Yes we all suffer from a disease that has an absolutely 100% fatality rate, we call this life!

Regards Alan

#8    Alan McDougall

Alan McDougall

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 610 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 04:19 PM

View PostGreenmansGod, on 02 September 2014 - 02:15 PM, said:

You got and links to your research?  Death is never easy.  I don't understand what you mean by a bleak and lonely death. I knew a priest who died of cancer and it was a horrible and painful death.  My father was a atheist and he died in his sleep.  My mother was agnostic and she died a peaceful death.  My wife wasn't really religious. She believed in a God, but not in the way Christians do. She was ready and accepting of it.  
Toward the end even Christ had a hard time.   "My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?"

When I die I hope my last words are....

"My God my God why has thou forsaken me" is what Jesus cried out on the cross but he was only momentarily forsaken and he was forsaken by the Father in our stead.

I think very few people are ever forsaken by God, but those that are, become filled with a sense of unspeakable desolation, ice cold fear and hopeless doom of the absolute knowledge that they are abandoned by God forever and forever, in a cold dark lost eternity, so far from the Great God of light, love and life.

Better to be safe than sorry it is extremely foolish to blaspheme God!

Regards Alan

#9    HerNibs

HerNibs

Grand Duchess Anaesthesia

• 12,187 posts

• Endless repetition does not make something true.

Posted 02 September 2014 - 04:22 PM

View PostAlan McDougall, on 02 September 2014 - 04:19 PM, said:

"My God my God why has thou forsaken me" is what Jesus cried out on the cross but he was only momentarily forsaken and he was forsaken by the Father in our stead.

I think very few people are ever forsaken by God, but those that are, become filled with a sense of unspeakable desolation, ice cold fear and hopeless doom of the absolute knowledge that they are abandoned by God forever and forever, in a cold dark lost eternity, so far from the Great God of light, love and life.

Are you stating that atheists are " filled with a sense of unspeakable desolation, ice cold fear and hopeless doom of the absolute knowledge that they are abandoned by God forever and forever, in a cold dark lost eternity, so far from the Great God of light, love and life"??

I can't "blaspheme" something that I see no evidence supporting it's existence.  I can't "blaspheme God" as an atheist.

Nibs

Just because it is a mystery to YOU doesn't make it unexplained.

STORM - a must watch - caution, some profanity and may cause you to experience reason.

#10    Imaginarynumber1

Imaginarynumber1

• 4,675 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 04:32 PM

View PostAlan McDougall, on 02 September 2014 - 04:08 PM, said:

Yes we all suffer from a disease that has an absolutely 100% fatality rate, we call this life!

I have a terminal case of life.  :(

"A cat has nine lives. For three he plays, for three he strays, and for the last three he stays."

#11    Imaginarynumber1

Imaginarynumber1

• 4,675 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 04:39 PM

That's an extremely stupid way to go through life. I'd much rather be sorry than to waste all my days worshipping something that more than probably isn't even there.

#12    Rafterman

Rafterman

Telekinetic

• 6,709 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 04:44 PM

View PostAlan McDougall, on 02 September 2014 - 01:48 PM, said:

In my own family the Atheists members definitely died a more difficult prolonged and bleak lonely death. (That of course does not mean it is true in every case or every family)

However, the discussion need not be confined just to Christians on the religious side of the debate, any theist is welcome to contribute and indeed those who consider themselves as agnostics and have not made up their minds on the matter.

I have had a look at the death bed statement of religious believers and the death bed statements of atheists, but these are unverifiable and I will post some of them later, if the thread produces sufficient response and interest.

So your argument is that you would rather live under the oppressive boot of religion your entire life for a few seconds of blissful ignorance on your death bed?

Wow, that speaks volumes about the strength of the religious argument these days.

"You can't have freedom of religion without having freedom from the religious beliefs of other people."

#13    GreenmansGod

GreenmansGod

Bio-Electric sentient being.

• 9,732 posts

• May the laughter ye give today return to thee 3 fold.

Posted 02 September 2014 - 05:25 PM

That is called Pascal's Wager.
http://en.wikipedia....cal's_Wager
It has been an over used ploy of the religious to try to get converts.  All it really shows is ignorance to think one could fool a supreme being into thinking you are believer by going through the motions even though in your heart you know it is nonsense.
Now, you said you have been researching your topic, as yet you have not produced one bit of actual research other your own experience from you family and even that is without any details.

I don't really fear death, maybe because I know there are things that can happen to you that would make you wish for death.  Been there, done that, got through it.  Sometimes I wonder if I had been a Christian would I have given up and surrendered to  God's will and spent the rest of my life in a wheelchair rather fighting back and relearning to walk despite all the pain and those who said I would never walk again.  I know people  who could have overcome it, but gave up without a fight and said God's will.  I also know people despite a good fight and religious faith, who ended up a head on a pillow.  Such is life, we are all slaves to physics in the end.

Edited by GreenmansGod, 02 September 2014 - 05:27 PM.

"The moment you declare a set of ideas to be immune from criticism, satire, derision, or contempt, freedom of thought becomes impossible." Salman Rushdie

#14    quiXilver

quiXilver

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 868 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 06:36 PM

had my first out of body experience when I was four.
I didn't even know what death was yet, but from that time on, death holds no fear for me.

the process of dying could be rather grim and painful, but once the body is released, absolutely no fear or pain.
bliss, enduring, bliss beyond the ability of words to describe.

edit: I'm an agnostic taoist with druidic/shamanic anarchist leanings

Edited by quiXilver, 02 September 2014 - 06:37 PM.

"Unknowingly, we plow the dust of stars, blown about us by the wind and drink the universe in a glass of rain."
Ihab Hassan

Everything you Love and Everything you Hate, come from the Same Source:  Creighton Larson

#15    Alan McDougall

Alan McDougall

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 610 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 06:58 PM

View PostHerNibs, on 02 September 2014 - 04:22 PM, said:

Are you stating that atheists are " filled with a sense of unspeakable desolation, ice cold fear and hopeless doom of the absolute knowledge that they are abandoned by God forever and forever, in a cold dark lost eternity, so far from the Great God of light, love and life"??

I can't "blaspheme" something that I see no evidence supporting it's existence.  I can't "blaspheme God" as an atheist.

Nibs

I am saying regardless of what you believe, if God has separate himself from you, you will know it by the desolation that enters your life. As far as blaspheming goes, you might be right, but depravity in my opinion is just another word for blaspheming God even if you don't believe in him.

Ignorance of the law does not mean you will not be found guilty if you transgress it. I am talking about our human laws. The laws of righteous living are imprinted by God into every humans consciousness, so if you go against your moral compass you are transgressing the will of God even if you have convinced yourself that God is a fairy tale.

Regards Alan

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users