Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Laputa

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1    Curiosity

Curiosity

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,213 posts

• `Twas ignorance that killed the cat.

Posted 16 November 2004 - 03:36 AM

Everyone knows that nothing is cooler than a castle that floats in the sky, cool.gif  so you can imagine how surprised I was when I searched the forums nothing came up! blink.gif I thought it would be a very interesting thing to discuss. original.gif

Our doubts are traitors,
And make us lose the good we oft might win
By fearing the attempt.
-W. Shakespeare

#2    Diebytheflyguy

Diebytheflyguy

Poltergeist

• 3,190 posts

• It seemed like a good idea at the time...

Posted 16 November 2004 - 03:43 AM

Are you looking for an answer, or just trying to see who has heard of it?

I haven't heard of this though. Is it a place where people can go, or is it a concept of heaven?

Edited by Diebytheflyguy, 16 November 2004 - 03:57 AM.

#3    kikuchiyo

kikuchiyo

Psychic Spy

• 1,744 posts

• I have an answer to everything

Posted 16 November 2004 - 04:02 AM

Well Laputa is a movie made by the guy who directed Spirited Away, Hayao Miyazaki, a legend of animation ( I made my final high school essay on him original.gif ). I haven't heard of any legend about an actual castle in the sky (expt in the song Xplosivo).

If you want to look it up it's TenkŻ no shiro Rapyuta (1986), wasn't his best movie but if your interested he also worked on Lupin (classics) and Mononoke hime (My favorite work of his, Princess Mononoke in english...simply amazing)

Carpe Diem People!
want a mighty supa fly avatar ask for Universal "Mad skills" Absurdity
http://www.unexplain...pe=post&id=9407
Uber Foolish Funk Shaolin Monk "tonk" of the Skeptical Non Believers of Uppity Annoyance

#4    Curiosity

Curiosity

Psychic Spy

• 1,213 posts

• `Twas ignorance that killed the cat.

Posted 16 November 2004 - 04:05 AM

There's also a mention of it in Gulliver's Travels.

... I haven't watched that movie in soo long... blink.gif

Edited by Whiskers, 16 November 2004 - 04:06 AM.

Our doubts are traitors,
And make us lose the good we oft might win
By fearing the attempt.
-W. Shakespeare

#5    kikuchiyo

kikuchiyo

Psychic Spy

• 1,744 posts

Posted 16 November 2004 - 04:15 AM

I haven't seen that one but I'm going to.(I'm looking for Sherlock in DVD...it's nowhere to be found)...

I tried to look it up but nothing. Always sent me back to Miyazaki, have any info on the "location". Maybe you should look up the Lemuria thread.

Carpe Diem People!
Uber Foolish Funk Shaolin Monk "tonk" of the Skeptical Non Believers of Uppity Annoyance

#6    NightMoon

NightMoon

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 391 posts

Posted 16 November 2004 - 09:04 PM

I tried searching for something as I usually find good results with Google but all I'm getting for this is info on "Laputa" the animation film. I'll keep trying too.

#7    NightMoon

NightMoon

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 391 posts

Posted 16 November 2004 - 09:09 PM

Castles in the air might be a mirage (not just desert mirage but the effects of low cloud formed at the base of a hill where the castle is on top), and also it might be a UFO phenomena, which comes from old records and reported as being "flying castles".

Castles in the Air

#8    firefemme1202

firefemme1202

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 762 posts

• It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. --Aristotle

Posted 16 November 2004 - 11:11 PM

QUOTE(Whiskers @ Nov 15 2004, 10:05 PM)
There's also a mention of it in Gulliver's Travels.

... I haven't watched that movie in soo long... blink.gif

View Post

That's right, the little Laputians lol...all of them tying him to keep him tied to the ground...that's a fantastical idea...and castles in the sky are also in the greek and roman mythologies, where the gods and goddesses live.  Olympia wasn't it?

To suppose that earth is the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to believe that in an entire field sown with millet, only one grain will grow.  --Metrodorus of Chios, 4th century BCE

We adore chaos because we love to produce order.

#9    dezavala

dezavala

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 184 posts

Posted 19 November 2004 - 04:59 AM

La Puta means something else in Spanish.

#10    firefemme1202

firefemme1202

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 762 posts

• It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. --Aristotle

Posted 19 November 2004 - 05:52 AM

QUOTE(dezavala @ Nov 18 2004, 10:59 PM)
La Puta means something else in Spanish.

View Post

yep, the translation I got was "the prostitute."  correct me if I'm wrong.  

But how do we know that he used this as reference when writing the book? Perhaps it means something else in another language like Latin?  Or perhaps, the writer who used the word originally as a floating city used it as a metaphor to mean that it would be regarded as impure or not correct.  Something to that affect?

To suppose that earth is the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to believe that in an entire field sown with millet, only one grain will grow.  --Metrodorus of Chios, 4th century BCE

#11    kikuchiyo

kikuchiyo

Psychic Spy

• 1,744 posts

Posted 19 November 2004 - 06:21 AM

Maybe he didn't know the spanish form of Laputa, allot of words can be miss translated.

That would be an odd mix, an unpure castle in the most pure of environment.

Carpe Diem People!

#12    firefemme1202

firefemme1202

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 762 posts

Posted 19 November 2004 - 06:47 AM

QUOTE(kikuchiyo @ Nov 19 2004, 12:21 AM)
Maybe he didn't know the spanish form of Laputa, allot of words can be miss translated.

That would be an odd mix, an unpure castle in the most pure of environment.

View Post

Lol, thanks for catching on to my point original.gif  It's like how a translator can see the word "read" and interpret is as "the boy read the book" or "the boy is going to read the book"....past? Present? I think in this case, the fact that la puta means what I found it to mean "the prostitute," it most likely has no relevance to the name of the floating castle in reference.  If it did, then this writer must be trying to get away with things like the pope scene in little mermaid (the dude marrying ariel and eric had his wee-wee wiggling at the altar) except this little naughty thing would have been in a literary sense and not a film sense.

#13    Ronin6th

Ronin6th

Psychic Spy

• 1,499 posts

Posted 20 November 2004 - 08:51 AM

kikuchiyo...

If you like Miyasaki there is also Porco Rosso, My Neighbour Totoro and Kiki Delivery Service if I make any mistake with the english title... original.gif

Edited by Ronin6th, 20 November 2004 - 08:52 AM.

If you cannot be the First, be the One.

*Signature removed, exceeds permitted size guidelines - Click Here for details.

#14    Byuu94

Byuu94

Psychic Spy

• 1,441 posts

Posted 22 November 2004 - 08:14 PM

That's right, the little Laputians lol...all of them tying him to keep him tied to the ground...that's a fantastical idea...and castles in the sky are also in the greek and roman mythologies, where the gods and goddesses live. Olympia wasn't it?

Um, the little people in the book are Lilliputians. Laputa is a flying island near the end of Gulliver's travels. The island ruled over the country below, Swift used it as a satirical reference to how government was distanced from the people in England. Also there are no flying castles in greek or roman mythologies as far as I know. You're thinking of the top of Mount Olympus, which was above the clouds.

Also the book was written in English, and it is unlikely Laputa was meant to mean anything bad.

Edited by Byuu94, 22 November 2004 - 08:17 PM.

Posted Image

"I think that people should make up their own minds for me." - Eric Idle

#15    Tenebra

Tenebra

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 22 November 2004 - 08:37 PM

QUOTE(Byuu94 @ Nov 22 2004, 03:14 PM)

Um, the little people in the book are Lilliputians. Laputa is a flying island near the end of Gulliver's travels. The island ruled over the country below, Swift used it as a satirical reference to how government was distanced from the people in England. Also there are no flying castles in greek or roman mythologies as far as I know. You're thinking of the top of Mount Olympus, which was above the clouds.

Also the book was written in English, and it is unlikely Laputa was meant to mean anything bad.

View Post

You beat me to it!   laugh.gif

There's more to Gulliver's Travels than the edited version that's usually available that has nothing but Lilliput and Brobdignag, and some of the other places he ends up are considerably more interesting.  (The Yahoos and the Houyhnhnms are cool... I can think of a number of Yahoos I've encountered.)

Since I'm very acrophobic, I can't say a castle in the sky sounds all that great to me!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users