Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Never a straight answer ... 2

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1    qxcontinuum

qxcontinuum

Poltergeist

• 2,192 posts

• The age of stupid is upon us. Scientific conclusions are drawn from missing data, resuming to suppositions and guessing.

Posted 04 September 2014 - 05:12 AM

This time is official. Exactly as many of us noticed the curiosity rover was not curious enough and did not make itself useful under a poor management. There is no scientific data published that can help science  much and to justify a such astronomical cost of production and operations. Basically in a funny way it was ordered to stop being a Remote Controlled toy Racing from point A to point B without adding more values between these trips and take detailed pics of its findings.

"The Curiosity rover's continued mission to explore Gale Crater was singled out as "lack[ing] specific scientific questions to be answered, testable hypotheses, and proposed measurements" in a harsh report by a recent NASA review panel [download the PDF of the full report]."

I love in special this fragment;

The report also criticized the Curiosity mission's leadership for perceived hubris, calling out Project Scientist John Grotzinger for failing to appear in person to answer the panel's inquiries. That, combined with a lack of clarity on the science goals of the extended mission, left the panel "with the impression that the team felt they were too big to fail."

http://www.planetary...ior-review.html

A big thank you for valuing our money invested in this 2mega pixels 3 billion dollars walking camera, that refuses to take detailed pictures or to get closer to mysterious sightings when the public is asking for it, under the pretext of rushing to whatever obscure goals planners might have

Edited by qxcontinuum, 04 September 2014 - 05:27 AM.

#2    bmk1245

bmk1245

puny village idiot

• 5,137 posts

Posted 04 September 2014 - 07:47 AM

View Postqxcontinuum, on 04 September 2014 - 05:12 AM, said:

This time is official. Exactly as many of us noticed the curiosity rover was not curious enough and did not make itself useful under a poor management. There is no scientific data published that can help science  much and to justify a such astronomical cost of production and operations. Basically in a funny way it was ordered to stop being a Remote Controlled toy Racing from point A to point B without adding more values between these trips and take detailed pics of its findings.

"The Curiosity rover's continued mission to explore Gale Crater was singled out as "lack[ing] specific scientific questions to be answered, testable hypotheses, and proposed measurements" in a harsh report by a recent NASA review panel [download the PDF of the full report]."

I love in special this fragment;

The report also criticized the Curiosity mission's leadership for perceived hubris, calling out Project Scientist John Grotzinger for failing to appear in person to answer the panel's inquiries. That, combined with a lack of clarity on the science goals of the extended mission, left the panel "with the impression that the team felt they were too big to fail."

http://www.planetary...ior-review.html

A big thank you for valuing our money invested in this 2mega pixels 3 billion dollars walking camera, that refuses to take detailed pictures or to get closer to mysterious sightings when the public is asking for it, under the pretext of rushing to whatever obscure goals planners might have
You failed to read actual report: it talks about extended mission, not a primary. Another thing, panel may not be aware of all details about remaining MSL reserves/capabilities.

And yeah, chasing after every "discovery" of internet-sofa-woowoo-researchers, Curiosity would have been a pile of scrap metal long time ago...

Edited by bmk1245, 04 September 2014 - 07:53 AM.

Arguing with fool is like playing chess with pigeon: he will scatter pieces, peck King's crown, crap on bishop, and fly away bragging how he won the game... (heard once, author unknown).
Zhoom! What was that? That was your life, Mate! Oh, that was quick. Do I get another? Sorry, Mate. That's your lot... Basil Fawlty (John Cleese).
If yesterday you would have stood up proud. Then why tonight have you thrown in with the stoning crowd? (Cradle of Filth)

I'm dead drunk and heave' hanging upside down... (good ol' AC/DC).

#3    toast

toast

President of the Galaxy

• 5,407 posts

• Let there be Ziggy

Posted 04 September 2014 - 09:18 AM

This time is official. Exactly as many of us noticed the
curiosity rover was not curious enough and did not make itself useful under a poor management. There is no scientific data
published that can help science  much and to justify a such astronomical cost of production and operations.
This is incorrect and unsubstantial gibberish. The MSL mission targets and the still by the MSL generated results, so the
scientific data, are published and all future results will be published as well.

"The Curiosity rover's continued mission to explore Gale Crater was singled out as "lack[ing] specific scientific questions to be
answered, testable hypotheses, and proposed measurements" in a harsh report by a recent NASA review panel [download the
PDF of the full report]. The report also criticized the Curiosity mission's leadership for perceived hubris, calling out Project Scientist
John Grotzinger for failing to appear in person to answer the panel's inquiries. That, combined with a lack of clarity on the science
goals of the extended mission, left the panel "with the impression that the team felt they were too big to fail."
This is the statement of a blogger, simply just that. But also on multi billion USD space missions there are always various and different
opinions about the to be conducted mission targets, during the phase of planning the full and final mission set up and it is normal that
not all parties will get satisfied. Well yes, it think the report can be discussed but it should not be used just as a basis to put a general,
and a causeless one as well, blame on the MSL mission development responsible persons and/or department/s.

Basically in a funny way it was ordered to stop being a Remote
Controlled toy Racing from point A to point B without adding more values between these trips and take detailed pics of its findings.
(...) A big thank you for valuing our money invested in this 2mega pixels 3 billion dollars walking camera, that refuses to take detailed
pictures or to get closer to mysterious sightings when the public is asking for it, under the pretext of rushing to whatever obscure
goals planners might have
What a "finding" is and what not is (fortunately) rated by the missions responsible scientists and not by the GPSC (Global Pareidolia
Suffering Community). And, the MSL is an over years planned and developed planetary exploration mission with a defined schedule
and not a device to be just used as a public accessible remote web cam for the GPSC.

And BTW, I cannot see a connection in between the thread title and yr first post here.

“For every moment of triumph, for every instance of beauty, many souls must be trampled.”  - Hunter S. Thompson -
"Very funny, Scotty, now beam down my trousers!" - James T. Kirk -
"I think enormous harm is done by religion – not just in the name of religion, but actually by religion." - Steven Weinberg -  
"I am discounting the reports of UFOs. Why would they appear only to cranks and weirdos?" - Stephen Hawking -

#4    DONTEATUS

DONTEATUS

Forum Divinity

• 19,031 posts

Posted 04 September 2014 - 02:19 PM

Thats a fact Jack ! get off MSL`s back . They are great people !!!! Doing great research,and for penny`s compaired to the total waist in out other hair brained missions here on earth !AKA Wars :tu:

This is a Work in Progress!

#5    kitco

kitco

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,184 posts

• " WE COME IN"
    │▒│ /▒/
    │▒│/▒/
    │▒ /▒/─┬─┐
    │▒│▒|▒│▒│
    ┌┴─┴─┐-┘─┘
    ...│▒┌──┘▒▒▒│
    └┐▒▒▒▒▒▒┌┘
    └┐▒▒▒▒┌

Posted 04 September 2014 - 03:25 PM

Perhaps we could fake an alien invasion too bump up spending on space missions. Maybe then we could have decent pictures http://www.bibliotec...olitics_ZZE.htm

View PostDONTEATUS, on 04 September 2014 - 02:19 PM, said:

Thats a fact Jack ! get off MSL`s back . They are great people !!!! Doing great research,and for penny`s compaired to the total waist in out other hair brained missions here on earth !AKA Wars :tu:

Edited by kitco, 04 September 2014 - 03:26 PM.

A LIFE OF MYSTERIE IS BETTER THEN SIMPLICITY. - kitco

#6    Rafterman

Rafterman

Telekinetic

• 7,409 posts

Posted 04 September 2014 - 04:11 PM

The primary target for Curiosity is Mount Sharp and they are still several months away from getting there so, in actuality, the "real" mission really hasn't even started yet.  As it states in the piece you linked:

The report made a series of recommendations for ways in which Curiosity could improve its science return, including reducing its time spent driving so the team could spend more time on science operations. This would necessarily delay the rover's arrival at the upper layers of Mt. Sharp, one of the stated goals of the mission.

Your personal assessment seems to be at odds with the Very Good/Good rating the mission received by the review board (if only the rest of government could get a very good/good rating, right?).

As for not stopping and investigating every thigh bone, squirrel, or whatever some arm chair UFO nut thought they saw in a photograph, remember, Curiosity only has a limited number of sample cups (74 I believe) and once they've been used, they're done.  And given that the main goal is to get to the top of Mt. Sharp, then you really can't use your expendable resources up before you get there.

Regarding scientific impact, here's a piece also from the Planetary Society about the Curiosity presentation at last December's AGU meeting in San Francisco about all of the good science coming out of the mission. http://www.planetary...age-dating.html

Edited by Rafterman, 04 September 2014 - 04:12 PM.

"For me, it is better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring."
                                                                                                                                           - Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World:  Science as a Candle in the Dark

#7    stereologist

stereologist

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,187 posts

Posted 04 September 2014 - 04:17 PM

Isn't it wonderful that Curiosity is as transparent a process as we see and that it is not subject to every pointless whim by those that have little to no idea what is happening.

#8    toast

toast

President of the Galaxy

• 5,407 posts

• Let there be Ziggy

Posted 04 September 2014 - 04:55 PM

View Postkitco, on 04 September 2014 - 03:25 PM, said:

Perhaps we could fake an alien invasion too bump up spending on space missions. Maybe then we could have decent pictures
Perhaps you can fake one, just only one, comment per month that contains something meaningful and constructive.

“For every moment of triumph, for every instance of beauty, many souls must be trampled.”  - Hunter S. Thompson -
"I think enormous harm is done by religion – not just in the name of religion, but actually by religion." - Steven Weinberg -  
"I am discounting the reports of UFOs. Why would they appear only to cranks and weirdos?" - Stephen Hawking -

#9    kartikg

kartikg

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 882 posts

Posted 07 September 2014 - 05:02 PM

Maybe it's just frustration building up because no life or overwhelming evidence of once life existed on mars. With so many robots and satellites and studies IMO the time may soon come when we conclude that mars is and was a dead planet. Of course of course there are other things to learn about mars but that won't be catching the attention of general public.

#10    badeskov

badeskov

Forum Divinity

• 12,649 posts

• Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please - Mark Twain

Posted 08 September 2014 - 11:29 PM

View Postkartikg, on 07 September 2014 - 05:02 PM, said:

Maybe it's just frustration building up because no life or overwhelming evidence of once life existed on mars. With so many robots and satellites and studies IMO the time may soon come when we conclude that mars is and was a dead planet. Of course of course there are other things to learn about mars but that won't be catching the attention of general public.

Actually, to the best of my knowledge neither NASA nor anybody else is currently looking for life on Mars. They are looking for life enabling conditions for life as we know it, i.e. water and so on.

Cheers,
Badeskov

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention to arrive safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow!! What a ride!". Said to to Dean Karnazes by a running buddy.

#11    DONTEATUS

DONTEATUS

Forum Divinity

• 19,031 posts

Posted 08 September 2014 - 11:38 PM

View Postbadeskov, on 08 September 2014 - 11:29 PM, said:

Actually, to the best of my knowledge neither NASA nor anybody else is currently looking for life on Mars. They are looking for life enabling conditions for life as we know it, i.e. water and so on.

Cheers,
Badeskov
They are Looking for that little spider monkey still,! :tu:

This is a Work in Progress!

#12    qxcontinuum

qxcontinuum

Poltergeist

• 2,192 posts

• The age of stupid is upon us. Scientific conclusions are drawn from missing data, resuming to suppositions and guessing.

Posted 09 September 2014 - 03:51 AM

View Postbadeskov, on 08 September 2014 - 11:29 PM, said:

Cheers,
Badeskov

Indeed ...

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpg

#13    Noteverythingisaconspiracy

Noteverythingisaconspiracy

Illuminati member

• 3,463 posts

• "An open mind is like an open door, unless you're careful anything might get in." Sir Wearer of Hats

Posted 09 September 2014 - 09:28 AM

View PostRafterman, on 04 September 2014 - 04:11 PM, said:

The primary target for Curiosity is Mount Sharp and they are still several months away from getting there so, in actuality, the "real" mission really hasn't even started yet.  As it states in the piece you linked:

The report made a series of recommendations for ways in which Curiosity could improve its science return, including reducing its time spent driving so the team could spend more time on science operations. This would necessarily delay the rover's arrival at the upper layers of Mt. Sharp, one of the stated goals of the mission.

Your personal assessment seems to be at odds with the Very Good/Good rating the mission received by the review board (if only the rest of government could get a very good/good rating, right?).

As for not stopping and investigating every thigh bone, squirrel, or whatever some arm chair UFO nut thought they saw in a photograph, remember, Curiosity only has a limited number of sample cups (74 I believe) and once they've been used, they're done.  And given that the main goal is to get to the top of Mt. Sharp, then you really can't use your expendable resources up before you get there.

Regarding scientific impact, here's a piece also from the Planetary Society about the Curiosity presentation at last December's AGU meeting in San Francisco about all of the good science coming out of the mission. http://www.planetary...age-dating.html

Great post Rafterman :tu:

"People will generally accept fact as truth only if the fact agree with what they already believe"
Andy Rooney

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and im not sure about the former"
Albert Einstein

#14    toast

toast

President of the Galaxy

• 5,407 posts

• Let there be Ziggy

Posted 10 September 2014 - 09:05 AM

NASA will host a telecon at 10 a.m. PDT (1 p.m. EDT) Thursday, Sept. 11, to discuss mission status and the future
science campaign for the Mars rover Curiosity mission.
Participants in the teleconference will be:
-- Jim Green, director, Planetary Science Division, NASA Headquarters, Washington
-- John Grotzinger, Curiosity project scientist, California Institute of Technology, Pasadena
-- Kathryn Stack, Curiosity Rover mission scientist, NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory, Pasadena. California

Audio of the teleconference will be streamed live at:http://www.nasa.gov/newsaudio

http://www.jpl.nasa....reaking20140909

#15    toast

toast

President of the Galaxy

• 5,407 posts

• Let there be Ziggy

Posted 11 September 2014 - 05:06 PM

View Posttoast, on 10 September 2014 - 09:05 AM, said:

NASA will host a telecon at 10 a.m. PDT (1 p.m. EDT) Thursday, Sept. 11, to discuss mission status and the future
science campaign for the Mars rover Curiosity mission.
Participants in the teleconference will be:
-- Jim Green, director, Planetary Science Division, NASA Headquarters, Washington
-- John Grotzinger, Curiosity project scientist, California Institute of Technology, Pasadena
-- Kathryn Stack, Curiosity Rover mission scientist, NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory, Pasadena. California

Audio of the teleconference will be streamed live at:http://www.nasa.gov/newsaudio

http://www.jpl.nasa....reaking20140909

Now!

Edited by toast, 11 September 2014 - 05:06 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users