Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

5,000-Year-Old Monument Revealed in Isreal

Taun

Massive 5,000-Year-Old Stone Monument Revealed in Israel

By Owen Jarus, Live Science Contributor

A lunar-crescent-shaped stone monument that dates back around 5,000 years has been identified in Israel.

Located about 8 miles (13 kilometers) northwest of the Sea of Galilee, the structure is massive — its volume is about 14,000 cubic meters (almost 500,000 cubic feet)

and it has a length of about 150 meters (492 feet), making it longer than an American football field. Pottery excavated at the structure indicates the monument dates to

between 3050 B.C. and 2650 B.C., meaning it is likely older than the pyramids of Egypt. It was also built before much of Stonehenge was constructed.

Archaeologists previously thought the structure was part of a city wall, but recent work carried out by Ido Wachtel, a doctoral student at the Hebrew University of Jerusalem,

indicates there is no city beside it and that the structure is a standing monument.

http://news.yahoo.com/massive-5-000-old-stone-monument-revealed-israel-170001286.html

• Like 2

Lunar Crescent? Of the all the timing for that to be unearthed, this could get interesting.

• Like 2

Lunar Crescent? Of the all the timing for that to be unearthed, this could get interesting.

I had'nt thought of that connection...

you guys talking about some sort of Muslim connection? This monument would be several thousand years older than Islam... but of course Islam would have absorbed older belief systems.

from the article: The structure's crescent shape stood out in the landscape, Wachtel told Live Science in an email. The shape may have had symbolic importance, as the lunar crescent is a symbol of an ancient Mesopotamian moon god named Sin, Wachtel said.

Fasting for the month (now called Ramadan) from crescent moon to crescent moon, from sunrise to sundown, began centuries before Islam.

post-86645-0-35932000-1410954067_thumb.j

Edited by lightly

you guys talking about some sort of Muslim connection? This monument would be several thousand years older than Islam... but of course Islam would have absorbed older belief systems.

from the article: The structure's crescent shape stood out in the landscape, Wachtel told Live Science in an email. The shape may have had symbolic importance, as the lunar crescent is a symbol of an ancient Mesopotamian moon god named Sin, Wachtel said.

Fasting for the month (now called Ramadan) from crescent moon to crescent moon, from sunrise to sundown, began centuries before Islam.

I know that... It's just that extremists (violent and non-violent) can clutch at any symbol, no matter how tenuous (or even non-existant) a link might be...

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Ya, i guess that's true, you guys might be right.. maybe it will be made a big deal of.. as some sort of sign .

It will be interesting to see what is deciphered archaeologically/anthropologically .

Hmmm I don't know. From the image, it really looks like a curve ramp to me. I guess it's just because of the way the picture was made, I mean the bird's eye view and all.