Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Mystery spiral discovered near Coventry

UM-Bot

A historian came across the pattern on Google Earth while conducting research on the Knights Templar.

The peculiar spiral feature, which is approximately 30m in diamater, appears to be carved in to the ground and is located only half a mile from a field in which an intricate star-shaped crop formation had previously appeared back in 2011.

Read More: http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/news/272565/mystery-spiral-discovered-near-coventry

• Like 1

If you look on google Earth at the site now it has a structure, possibly a summer house exactly positioned looking out onto it. And if you compare the image in the article to the most recent satellite image it is clear that the area around the shape is landscaped/mown. It looks to me like the shape was recently cut into a lawn.. Maybe a kids maze made by someone who knows what the classic maze shape should be. The most recent satellite image looks like it has simply grown over. May be something there previously which they have kept manicured but it is certainly not some kind of lost artifact.. Might well be someone with creative landscaping..

• Like 2

Here's a totally modern installation in Milton Keynes looking very similar from above. http://goo.gl/maps/IM7ue it could well be someone with a ride on mower and some creativity..

I guess it could be old.. There is loads of stuff in this part of England they haven't unearthed. I see loads of building shaped parch marks on the local fields on hot summers. Round this way we had Roman temples, Vikings and even a stone age settlement. We've also got proper knights templar stuff here too.. Royston caves is about 10 minutes drive from where I live;'Royston Cave - Grapevine of the Knights Templar':

keep meaning to go see it but never do! Edited by Maff
  • Like 2

If you look on google Earth at the site now it has a structure, possibly a summer house exactly positioned looking out onto it. And if you compare the image in the article to the most recent satellite image it is clear that the area around the shape is landscaped/mown. It looks to me like the shape was recently cut into a lawn.. Maybe a kids maze made by someone who knows what the classic maze shape should be. The most recent satellite image looks like it has simply grown over. May be something there previously which they have kept manicured but it is certainly not some kind of lost artifact.. Might well be someone with creative landscaping..

Exactly this. :tu:

The spiral in many cultures (for whatever reason) is associated with "death" and "the Afterlife" (it's why there are spirals all over barrows and tombs in the UK from the pre-Roman days).

The most famous landscape spiral is Glastonbury Tor.

• Like 3

I'm going to go with modern landscaping also. It isn't very big and so would have quickly disappeared if it was 100+ years old.

It is a labyrinth, I have a friend who built one just like it in her yard. It is used for walking meditation. I have walked it many times.

• Like 2

it's in the shape of a giant lollipop!!!!!!! Hide the lollies the aliens want them all to themselves!

I did the same, someone I know also has a labyinth in her yard... :)

one of my friend also built a labyrinth like this, but it's not for mediation, he collects lost childrens in it.

He didn't use to be a Radio 1 DJ did he? 😄

I love walking the spiral... that one must be beautiful!

• Like 1

This reminds me of a symbol from the book:

The Sidhe: Wisdom from the Celtic Otherworld by John Matthews

It's been a few years since I read it, but as I recall it's about Mr. Matthews meditating or concentrating on the symbol and being able to communicate or channel a Sidhe (Fairy).

If you want, you can do a search for Mr. Matthews symbol on google. Once you see it, you may see the resemblance too.

It is a labyrinth, I have a friend who built one just like it in her yard. It is used for walking meditation. I have walked it many times.

Quite right. I walked one this weekend in celebration of Mabon. Sometimes they are temporary and sometimes people create and maintain them year round. This one looks well maintained. I'd love an invite! :)

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

No difficulty with this.  There is a direct link to the Knights Templar with this sort of maze.  I suggest that you get hold of a copy of 'The Grail Chronicles' by E C Coleman - it is explained in there.  Someone with the time might like to check if any of the knights who killed Becket lived locally.